Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque, View from across the pond.
Robbo

Evoque, View from across the pond.

The Yanks don't appear as misty eyed about the Evoque as the rest of us.

http://www.insideline.com/land-rover/ran...drive.html
(This post was last modified: 29-07-2011 08:00pm by Robbo.)
29-07-2011 07:59pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Evoque, View from across the pond.

I think it's a quite balanced review. The usual moan about rear access in the coupe - everyone needs to understand the rear seats in the coupe are really only intended for occasional use - but an endorsement for Magnaride which I think will endow the Dynamic with better ride comfort than all those 20" Prestiges being specified without it. I don't see any problem with Jaguar parts sharing, the whole of the VW empire from Skoda to Porsche and beyond is just one huge parts bin, especially those parts hidden from view. Air bag controllers anyone? I'm pleased they like the petrol engine and, like them, I hope for a higher performance range topper which will show other SUV's the way home without being Cayenne turbo bloated. Whether there's room under the bonnet for a bigger engine is another matter.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
30-07-2011 07:28am
Robbo

(30-07-2011 07:28am)mark_n Wrote:  I think it's a quite balanced review. The usual moan about rear access in the coupe - everyone needs to understand the rear seats in the coupe are really only intended for occasional use - but an endorsement for Magnaride which I think will endow the Dynamic with better ride comfort than all those 20" Prestiges being specified without it. I don't see any problem with Jaguar parts sharing, the whole of the VW empire from Skoda to Porsche and beyond is just one huge parts bin, especially those parts hidden from view. Air bag controllers anyone? I'm pleased they like the petrol engine and, like them, I hope for a higher performance range topper which will show other SUV's the way home without being Cayenne turbo bloated. Whether there's room under the bonnet for a bigger engine is another matter.

Some Good points Mark.
In the report they make an interesting observation, that the standard suspension is somewhere between normal and firm ( which would seem reasonable) on Magneride. So 20" wheels may well need Magneride to give a reasonably comfortable ride on a day to day basis.
30-07-2011 09:44am
berlin2011

(30-07-2011 09:44am)Robbo Wrote:  Some Good points Mark.
In the report they make an interesting observation, that the standard suspension is somewhere between normal and firm ( which would seem reasonable) on Magneride. So 20" wheels may well need Magneride to give a reasonably comfortable ride on a day to day basis.

Not sure that's right - the section you refer to

"This impression is enhanced if you opt for the Adaptive Dynamics. MagneRide might sound like a gadget but it really works. In the standard mode, the ride is excellent, or you can trade some comfort for the enhanced control of "Dynamic" mode, which also reduces the steering assistance. The standard, passive system picks a spot somewhere between comfort and Dynamic. The ride at first can feel a little firm around town and it fidgets on the highway, but overall it's a sensible compromise given the Evoque's role in life."

I'm reading this as, with AD in standard mode the ride is excellent and becomes firm when you switch to Dynamic while the "standard, passive system" (i.e. normal suspension without AD) is pitched in the middle of the AD standard and Dynamic level of firmness (i.e. firmer than AD standard, not as firm as AD Dynamic)

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
30-07-2011 09:51am
Gorjan

I also understood it like Berlin said - AD in normal has brtter comfort than standard suspension, while the Dynamic is firmer than standard. So the standard one is compromise as expected.

I would go for the best, i.e. AD. Dont't like compromises, especially since spending so much money...

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
30-07-2011 12:39pm
Robbo

(30-07-2011 12:39pm)Gorjan Wrote:  I also understood it like Berlin said - AD in normal has brtter comfort than standard suspension, while the Dynamic is firmer than standard. So the standard one is compromise as expected.

I would go for the best, i.e. AD. Dont't like compromises, especially since spending so much money...

That is what I said but with different words maybe my English is not clear.
30-07-2011 01:33pm