Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Evoque SD4 Air Intake System - A Power Robber!
Jai

Gday Gday! I am very dissapointed by the restrictive nature of the Evoque air intake on my SD4. The size of the air intake to the airbox and the small air flow meter is just nuts to me!. I am sure that the intake and exhaust once replaced with something that can handle more volume could net some considerable power gains. We've all seen pictures of the air intake snorkel that is oh so tiny but I was quite shocked at the intake size at the airbox... its about half the surface area of an iphone!

The turbo intake pipe that snakes over the engine cover and down to the turbo is dimpled everywhere for clearance around various bumps and brackets around the place, not to mention it squishes down to a small rectangular shape just prior to the turbo intake. It really looks like it was thought about once everything else was in the engine bay, as opposed to being something engineered in from the beginning.

The intercooler is another area that could do with improving. Well the intercooler itself is decent with a core size of 700x65mm but the intake plumbing has some considerable restrictors in it. They look like a metal coupler and they step down the intake by atleast 25mm from my measurements. I have never seen these before!

Now I know the Evoque isnt meant to be some 500BHP beast but there is surely some gains to be had by opening up the mouth a bit and giving the exhaust an extra half inch diameter! The exhaust itself doesnt seem to bad, its very straight and doesnt really have too many bends in it.

Never mind me, my past 3 cars put together had 1600BHP combined (twin turbo v8, supercharged 8, supercharged 6) so I have a bit of a clue around forced induction but I've never seen such rubbish as I have in this engine bay!
20-11-2012 11:13am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Evoque SD4 Air Intake System - A Power Robber!

(20-11-2012 11:13am)Jai Wrote:  !Never mind me, my past 3 cars put together had 1600BHP combined (twin turbo v8, supercharged 8, supercharged 6) so I have a bit of a clue around forced induction but I've never seen such rubbish as I have in this engine bay!
ahhh so close....

I didnt doubt the credability of your findings in the main part of the post, and absolutely can see huge room for improvement with the air induction, but such "forum justification" is not necessary, and IMO devalues your post.
Might be more impressive on a max-power-esque forum. Embarrassed

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
20-11-2012 02:55pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jai

Maybe so. I am hoping that there might be a company working on a nicer intake with perhaps a hint of induction noise. The range rover can be many things to many people, and with the "dynamic" the sportiest of the range its angled towards a particular type of personality, and in a car this size I feel that I want to enhance the sportiness somewhat Smile

All I tried to point out by mentioning my other cars was that is what I have "toned down" from but I think this evoque engine has potential to deliver a bit more punch, which I am more than entitled to try and get Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
20-11-2012 03:03pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

There is a very good reason for the shape of the intake being what it is..................... has a lot to do with water and dust - you haven't purchased a Santa Pod drag racer you have purchased a car with quite a significant amount of off road ability and water wading ability. To keep you going when it gets tough offroad there have to be compromises. The new L405 RR has exactly the same system for the V6, V8 and S/C engines and have no shortage of get up and go.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
20-11-2012 03:17pm
Jai

I am happy to sacrifice my offroad and wading ability this time around.

20-11-2012 03:22pm
MichaelB

I'm with you on this Jai. Have been looking for a combination of chip, exhaust and some kinda air filter kit to give it some extra get up and go.
21-11-2012 08:46am
Jai

The engine is very Eco friendly in this config but I think there is another 25% in it without much hassle. An engine that breathes better performs better!

21-11-2012 11:56am
bell-auto-services

Yes the intake system is nasty in comparion to others, i have been looking at and testing things on this for nearly a year now. Id hope to have something of an upgrade final and available at some point in 2013.

Here are a few pictures of the components in question.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnai...album=4752

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 12:49pm by bell-auto-services.)
09-12-2012 12:49pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jai

Nice pics Pete. Do you have any ideas what those restrictor looking things are in the intercooler plumbing?
09-12-2012 12:54pm
bell-auto-services

The small steel part in themddle of the pipe is from what it seems on this car and the D4, jag and some others i have seen it used on a way of cutting induction noise in the pipework, its sort of like a exhaust baffel inside. I think it can go for sure and i will if you wish make up a patch pipe and test it ?

The plastic/rubber fake pipe with the two rings around are external only and seem to be for strength of the hose and dont from what i have seen impact on the internals.

The main pipe that is a long steel pipe is nasty to say the least and i personally feel that if this pipe from the turbo to the intercooler was improved it could make a nice difference alone.

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 01:03pm by bell-auto-services.)
09-12-2012 01:02pm