Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How does wheel size effect the drive quality?
GibEvoque

RE: How does wheel size effect the drive quality?

I have 20's and ride comfort is pretty good and no different to the demo with 19's.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
25-06-2012 02:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

(25-06-2012 01:44pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I have both 20" wheels and tyres and 19" winter wheels and tyres for my Dynamic. No difference whatsoever in ride comfort, huge difference in road noise of the Continental 20" tyres over the Pirelli Ice and Snow tyres - the pirellis are significantly quieter and I wish LR would scrap the Contis once and for all, they are Rubbish tyres, hugely expensive and don't wear well in my experience with them on an RRS

I'd agree, I have run mine on 19" Pirelli Scorpion and 19" Continental Cross contact now, and the Pirelli's are definitely less noisy but they give similar ride quality, but I can't compare to 20" ride or noise.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
25-06-2012 02:32pm
mark_n

It's all a question of what you are used to. I have 20 inch with Continentals and my RRE is the quietest and best riding - though the worst handling by a mile - of the 5 cars I drive. If the quality of the drive matters to you at all, go for 20 inch wheels and the adaptive damping which is as good as the RRE currently gets.

If, on the other hand, you like you cars to feel like you are stirring a pudding, go for the smaller wheels.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
25-06-2012 06:20pm
PhilSkill

Rare to see a press car on 20" though, that must say something... not sure what though Wink

Its no race car, so better to get it fitted with tyres that suit what it is, and I clipped a high kerb in a parking entrance the other day... no damage to my 19's Very Happy

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
25-06-2012 10:59pm
speary

(25-06-2012 01:44pm)EvoqueNorCal Wrote:  Haha. You don't know how I drive. I got pulled over by a cop before for fishtailing around a corner in my SUV. I drive safe and controlled (I *know* how to drive), but I like to take corners as fast as possible. I get more thrill from that than from driving fast in a straight line so cornering ability is important to me. I realize the Evoque isn't a race car, but neither is my Jeep and that hasn't stopped me from driving it like one.

And the cop let me off once he understood I was in control of the car.

Totally depends on the corner. If the ground is flat and nothing is on the land between you and the other side of the corner, you can see fine.

You didnt see the cop car. A big black and white thing with blue and red flashing lights Confused

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
(This post was last modified: 28-06-2012 12:51pm by speary.)
28-06-2012 08:10am
xxxx5

(25-06-2012 10:59pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Rare to see a press car on 20" though, that must say something... not sure what though Wink

Its no race car, so better to get it fitted with tyres that suit what it is, and I clipped a high kerb in a parking entrance the other day... no damage to my 19's Very Happy

I have 20" on mine and don't see any difference, and I have driven a car with 18" and 19". In fact it rides better than my BMW with 19"run flats. Regarding press cars I note that a couple of UK car mags have got them on long term fleets and they are wearing 20" wheels.

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
28-06-2012 08:44am
huntere

I have test driven two SD4's
One on 18" one on 20"
I admit I didn't look before the test drive but very quickly realised a huge difference.
The 20's were noisy and harsh. There is no way I would have them.
For those who may.....the two test drives were at different garages and both said if you are eve going to go off road, 18" is the max. The larger rims low profiles are useless off road.
28-06-2012 03:28pm