Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque Remapping by Alive
Alive Tuning

RE: Evoque Remapping by Alive

(12-10-2011 12:12pm)griff Wrote:  I thought most firms provided post service remaps for free?

Your right, and normally I will indeed re-tune any dealer applied software updates for free, via OBD.

However, The method of tuning the EDC17 ECU means the job is significantly more time consuming, and so raises the question/dilemma of do I charge for workshop time for stripping out and re-fitting of the ecu???

Once I have the ECU in hand, I can re-tune it in much the same time as it would take me to tune any other late land rover via obd, and so would not charge for my time doing the programming anyway.

Generally, a dealer will not do an engine management software upgrade unless the customer reports an issue that is known to LR, or it is a critical update. I would expect there not to be too many updates for the Evoque, since this engine has been in service for a few years now, and any running issues have already been resolved from when it was in the FL2.

Having thought about this some more, the instances of customers coming back to us for this procedure are few and far between, and so for us to offer an EDC17 re-tune for free would probably not be out of the question. The other argument is of course the cost of your time and fuel in bringing the car back to us, so it's as broad as it is long.

Alive Tuning... Quality - Performance - Perfection.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011 12:57pm by Alive Tuning.)
12-10-2011 12:56pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
griff

Thanks I can see a trip to either you or Pete at Bell Autoncoming up.
I shall miss my 306bhp and 420nm torque from my Beemer
Matter of interest do you have a recommendation to clients on the mileage they do before coming for a remap.
I ask this because of the 'loosening' of the engine and improved fuel consumption after about 10,000 miles in my experience.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011 01:46pm by griff.)
12-10-2011 01:11pm
Alive Tuning

(12-10-2011 01:11pm)griff Wrote:  Matter of interest do you have a recommendation to clients on the mileage they do before coming for a remap.
I ask this because of the 'loosening' of the engine and improved fuel consumption after about 10,000 miles in my experience.

I like to get the first 1000 miles out of the way first, just to ensure the car has had a good shakedown. After then, they're fine for tuning, and will just imporve with age.

12-10-2011 02:01pm
griff

Cool - thanks
I'll be looking into this after I get my car in Nov.
Cheers

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
12-10-2011 02:03pm
Japseroony

Hi Gary,

Is this an Alive owned car that will be used for furture development or a "kind" willing customer lending you a vehicle?
20-10-2011 03:38pm
Alive Tuning

(20-10-2011 03:38pm)Japseroony Wrote:  Hi Gary,

Is this an Alive owned car that will be used for furture development or a "kind" willing customer lending you a vehicle?

The SD4 belongs to a customer of ours, and the Si4 belongs to a freind. I do have an SD4 Dynamic on order, to be delivered as soon as Mauritius Blue becomes available. Rolling Eyes

The SD4 hasn't missed a beat so far, so it's working well.

(This post was last modified: 23-10-2011 12:40pm by Alive Tuning.)
20-10-2011 07:36pm
Japseroony

I think that colour is available from November so not long to wait.
20-10-2011 08:37pm
robc1738

(11-10-2011 05:42pm)Alive Tuning Wrote:  Alive Tuning have announced tuning options for the new baby Range Rover – the Evoque. Designed with drivability and smoothness at its core, the tuning gives notable increases throughout the rev range – virtually eliminating the sluggishness of the 2.2 litre diesel unit.

With recorded GPS verified 0-60 times for the 190hp SD4 Auto of 7.87 seconds, a gain of 0.63 seconds over the (also GPS verified) 8.5 standard, performance is aimed at those who require just that little extra from their Evoque.

The car feels much stronger through all of the gears and it just feels more relaxing to drive, something that is very well suited to this car. Much easier and free revving and a noticeable shove in the back to go with it - almost as quick as the Si4!

Power increase is estimated to be around 220bhp, with very significant gains in torque throughout.

Our test car was an Automatic SD4 Prestige 5 Door, with 1400 miles on the clock, a quarter of a tank of diesel, and our tame racing driver!

[Image: RR_Evoque_Std_0-60_Normal.jpg]
Above is a graph of the standard spec car, doing a full throttle 0-60mph sprint from a standing start in 9.55 seconds. All runs were done in sport mode, with traction control switched off.

The graph across the middle of the sheet shows longitudinal acceleration (G Force). You can see on this run an initial spike from turbo lag, and the torque converter taking up drive. The other spikes are caused from gear changes, and undulations in the road surface. Not all tests were carried out on the exact same section of road, and so inevitably there will be some differences between the charts.

[Image: RR_Evoque_Std_0-60_Race.jpg]
This chart shows the standard car’s 0-60mph run, with a racing start. The method was to hold the car on the brake until around 3000rpm, and then let it go. Notice how much smoother the graphs are. 0-60mph was achieved in the factory stated 8.5 seconds.

[Image: RR_Evoque_Tuned_0-60.jpg]
Here we have the graph for the racing start on the remapped car, which again is very smooth, so showing there are no flat spots. The scaling of this graph had to be extended because of the initial G force from the standing start was so much greater. We struggled to hold the car on its brakes too, as the engine was creating so much torque! There is even more performance to be had from this engine, but I'm holding onto the reigns for now!

[Image: Evoque_Test_Car.jpg]
Evoque Heavy braking test!

For more information please call 01472 812900 or visit http://www.alivetuning.com

(12-10-2011 02:01pm)Alive Tuning Wrote:  
(12-10-2011 01:11pm)griff Wrote:  Matter of interest do you have a recommendation to clients on the mileage they do before coming for a remap.

I like to get the first 1000 miles out of the way first, just to ensure the car has had a good shakedown. After then, they're fine for tuning, and will just imporve with age.

Hi I have just ordered a SD4 manual Pure however I travel approx 20k miles per year and have become concerned re the estimated mpg that the car does as I thought it would be more like 40mpg. Anyway my question is, will remapping increase fuel consumption and if so by how much?
Thanks
Rob

Pure SD4 manual, Fugi, Ebony leather, black contrast pano roof, 20" black wheels, tinted windows, xenon lights, fogs, front parking sensors
(This post was last modified: 23-10-2011 11:56am by robc1738.)
23-10-2011 11:50am
Alive Tuning

We have seen good improvements in mpg on the Freelander 2 for many years now, but they were downtuned compared to the current SD4 models. My honest answer is that I simply don't know if it will give better mpg. With a careful increase in low end torque, I would hope you would be able to change up through the gearbox earlier than would be comfortable with the standard mapping, which should in theory improve mpg.
I have uploaded a video of our Evoque remapping, onto YouTube...

There's a short video clip on there of the 0-60mph sprint, then a load of stills.

You may also want to turn your speakers down a bit. Wink

(This post was last modified: 23-10-2011 12:55pm by Alive Tuning.)
23-10-2011 12:45pm
robc1738

(23-10-2011 12:45pm)Alive Tuning Wrote:  We have seen good improvements in mpg on the Freelander 2 for many years now, but they were downtuned compared to the current SD4 models. My honest answer is that I simply don't know if it will give better mpg. With a careful increase in low end torque, I would hope you would be able to change up through the gearbox earlier than would be comfortable with the standard mapping, which should in theory improve mpg.
I have uploaded a video of our Evoque remapping, onto YouTube...

There's a short video clip on there of the 0-60mph sprint, then a load of stills.

You may also want to turn your speakers down a bit. Wink

Thanks for the advice it gives me something to think about! I still have the option of going for the 150bhp

Pure SD4 manual, Fugi, Ebony leather, black contrast pano roof, 20" black wheels, tinted windows, xenon lights, fogs, front parking sensors
23-10-2011 12:57pm