Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Evoque Plug-In Hybrid
Stadt Panzer

Evoque Plug-In Hybrid

Hi everyone,

After selling my last Evoque in 2017 and having since been driving a Lexus NX 300h I now want to buy a Evoque Plug-in Hybrid, which as far as I know should be going on sell in Dec 19.

I brought my wife a BMW 3is a couple of months ago and we really like the lack of engine noise plus the acceleration is amazing, my Lexus is a Hybrid but you don't get the electric range that I'd like to get, so a plug-in Hybrid is the answer, it means I can travel to work (40 miles) on Battery power and re-charge the car at work for free and then home and plug it into the callbox we've fitted. Plus any long range trips are covered.

Anybody heard anything from the stealers?

Somewhere in the North Sea.
13-10-2019 03:16pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Evoque Plug-In Hybrid

Like you Stadt I’m waiting for a less expensive PHEV Land Rover product than an £80k RRS or a £90k FFRR. I’ve now been running a Mini Countryman PHEV for 16 months / 5500 miles and I have learned a few things.
A) Like ICE vehicles makers claims for electric range is a fabrication - in summer I’m lucky to get 22 miles range of the claimed 26 miles, in winter 14 miles range is the norm, less if I don’t pre-heat the cabin on mains electricity before departure. Garaging the car overnight makes no difference
B) the quietness in electric mode is amazing, even on large tyres and if going for a PHEV or even a BEV upgrading to a high spec audio is worth it, even in petrol mode the BMW 3 Cylinder 1.5 turbo in the Mini is almost silent and very smooth and I haven’t had such a quick accelerating car since my TVR.....
C) petrol consumption is not great on motorway runs - I’ve only a 35 litr tank now not 100ltrs like the RRS had.
D) I’m able to use electric only mode >80% of my trips - it has proved to me that for the type of driving I do I could easily live with a BEV - Tesla3 or an IPace or another with > 150 miles winter electric range
E) come time to change PHEV and BEVs suffer horrendous depreciation
F) my Mini will fully charge its HV battery in 3 hours on a 13amp plug, only a little quicker on a public charger as there is a charge restriction program built in to protect the 7.2kW battery from high speed charging damage, result is I charge up at home using my solar array on the house roof. I use the “free” (costs £20 a year for the RFID card to start the chargers) public chargers all over Scotland when away from home and need to charge.
G) if you aren’t careful you can trigger the petrol engine at high speeds (I can do up to 80mph in electric mode) with a stone cold ICE - not great for engine longevity and there is no rev counter or warning that the petrol engine has cut in apart from sudden throaty exhaust rumblings (not unpleasant rumblings though)
H) using my years of JLR experience I ordered my PHEV with the £310 optional heated front windscreen.......... I’ve never needed to use it as I can pre-heat the car’s cabin remotely when it is parked up and plugged into the mains and that also defrosts all the windows, so check you actually need additional heating before you spec the car! Heated seats are standard but there isn’t any option of a heated steering wheel.
I) as far as I am aware there are no PHEV’s on the market with more than a claimed 35 miles range, real world range us also much less than that.

I have a deposit down on a New Defender 90 PHEV (It seems unlikely that there will be a BEV version ever) and have been advised that it’s not likely to be released to the market until late 2020/early 2021. I asked about Evoque PHEV at the dealers and they couldn’t answer!
I also found that the Countryman PHEV is way better assembled than any JLR product that I have bought in the last 15 years. I have needed only one unscheduled visit to the service bay for an HV battery management software update that couldn’t be done over the air. The Countryman isn’t a cheap option either.......... go easy on the extras, I got mine up to £42,000 on the invoice but in the end got a very nice present from BMW for putting up with their geeks wiping out their order database doing a model year spec change/update that delayed my build by 4 months - doubt that JLR would offer to hold the order price or pay the 5 years luxury car tax to retain my order!
I’m sure that the Evoque/ DiscoSport PHEVs will be good cars - JLR is now working with BMW on electrified cars so the RRE could end up with the same engine as the Countryman and BMW2 series PHEVs. The transmission in my car is actually a BMW i8 but the range extender of the i8 is connected to the front wheels rather than a battery

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 14-10-2019 10:14am by XFullFatTim.)
14-10-2019 09:45am
XFullFatTim

Just back from the local LR dealership and finding out more about the New Defender I have a deposit on and the salesman advised that the Evoque and DiscoSport PHEVs will be launched in November

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
22-10-2019 03:29pm
Stadt Panzer

Sounds as if a trip is on the cards to the local stealer. Once I know more I'll post here.

22-10-2019 05:16pm
XFullFatTim

Have heard now that a 3 cylinder,1.5ltr, version of the Ingenium engine will be used.

23-10-2019 09:32am
Stadt Panzer

Tim, heard the same about the engine. According to my contact at L/R the Evoque should be coming in December. Wait and see.

24-11-2019 06:28pm
Stadt Panzer

Well the start date for the Plug-In has been delayed Sad

No idea when LR will now release the car.......do I wait or go for the BMW X3 ?

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2019 10:39am by Stadt Panzer.)
01-12-2019 10:39am
XFullFatTim

Try a Mini Countryman PHEV, the latest versions have a 10kWh battery instead of the 7.2kWH that I have and it gives a bigger range - have read more than 21 miles in winter whereas I’m lucky to see 15 miles! It’s a lot cheaper buy than Evoque, as well if not better built , it is about the same size internally and much more fun to drive - 0-60 in 6 secs but feels a lot quicker

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019 09:38pm by XFullFatTim.)
02-12-2019 09:35pm
Stadt Panzer

My local BMW stealer offered me a 17,1% discount on a new X3 PHEV whilst Mercedes offered 11,5% on a new GLC 300e PHEV.

The new MBUX system is far better than the BMW's info system and the layout inside is nicer but I'm still not sure?

15-12-2019 06:23pm
Stadt Panzer

Just been informed that the PHEV Evoque, won't be available until the end of the year!!

Had a test drive the XC40 PHEV today and was impressed with the whole system, the size of the XC40 is about the same as the Evoque so it looks as if I could end up driving a Volvo!

15-02-2020 01:09pm