Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Evoque Caravan test
Filski

Evoque Caravan test

(03-04-2012 11:01pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Caravanning has never really appealed to me (neither has camping) but I have always fancied one of these http://www.airstreamandco.com/
I see the UK manufacturing plant is opening for the public next weekend at Teebay just of the M6 in the Lakes

Was looking at these on the weekend while camping, thoroughly modern inside but retro cool exterior. The smaller 'tent on a trailor' for off roading might be better for me personally. Even takes mountain bikes on top.
25-03-2013 09:07am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Offroadstu

RE: Evoque Caravan test

Going away with our caravan on Thursday, having my wife working in a school and our son at school it's a great way to get away on holiday mutiple times a year without paying stupid premiums for school holiday prices. Will take some pics at weekend.
25-03-2013 08:54pm
Urban Splash

The video in the original post.......does that caravan not seem a bit too heavy for the 85% 'rule'? Dont think I would want to tow a twin axle with an evoque....

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
27-03-2013 09:41pm
Offroadstu

No it's a swift so will be light. 85% rule is caravan club safety rule. Landrover more than capable to tow that with experienced driver. We have just got back today after towing our Coachman Pastiche (1536kg) and it was a breeze. Towed same caravan with FL1 TD4, FL2 TD4 auto, and our Evoque SD4 auto was by far the best. Maybe it's the firm suspension and low profile tyres, small rear over hang but it keeps the van well under control and loads of power and grip.
01-04-2013 08:23pm
Shuggy

(01-04-2013 08:23pm)Offroadstu Wrote:  No it's a swift so will be light. 85% rule is caravan club safety rule. Landrover more than capable to tow that with experienced driver. We have just got back today after towing our Coachman Pastiche (1536kg) and it was a breeze. Towed same caravan with FL1 TD4, FL2 TD4 auto, and our Evoque SD4 auto was by far the best. Maybe it's the firm suspension and low profile tyres, small rear over hang but it keeps the van well under control and loads of power and grip.

Hi Offroadstu,

I have month old Prestige SD4 and just towed my caravan last week for first time (Sterling Eccles Ruby.) and unlike previous cars (Lexus RX 400h and Volvo SC60 D5 ) had a problem with 'suspension bottoming' when going over uneven roads or when caravan is pitching. Thought it may be the jockey wheel hiiting the road but this has never happened previously. Caravan is not overloaded but seems to be slightly nose down although ball height is 16 inches above ground which is within the regulation height unloaded. Am thinking of taking the car into dealer on Tuesday for inspection will keep you informed.
19-05-2013 01:35pm
Offroadstu

Shuggy, I would defo talk to your dealer. I would expect our coachman to be heavier than your Stirling and we had no issues like you say. We loaded the caravan with max nose weight for caravan which is 75kg. Speed ramps on site and country roads not a sound. Hope you fix it, best tow car I've had and we have towed with lots of landys including 90s.
What tow bar have you got? We had fixed high flange bar. Just had it changed for removable due to unsightly electrics looking a mess. Will let you know if the removable is ok when we go away next week.
Can you post a pic of your outfit, haven't seen any other Evoques towing or on site. It gets lots of looks when we are away.
20-05-2013 09:41pm
Shuggy

(20-05-2013 09:41pm)Offroadstu Wrote:  Shuggy, I would defo talk to your dealer. I would expect our coachman to be heavier than your Stirling and we had no issues like you say. We loaded the caravan with max nose weight for caravan which is 75kg. Speed ramps on site and country roads not a sound. Hope you fix it, best tow car I've had and we have towed with lots of landys including 90s.
What tow bar have you got? We had fixed high flange bar. Just had it changed for removable due to unsightly electrics looking a mess. Will let you know if the removable is ok when we go away next week.
Can you post a pic of your outfit, haven't seen any other Evoques towing or on site. It gets lots of looks when we are away.

Hi Offroadstu,

Took it into dealer today and they checked but found no problem. Only happens with van connected. I'm thinking nose weight may be too heavy for this car . Westfalia removable towbar fitted maximum nose weight 100Kg for towbar although car rated at 150Kg. Caravn in storage at moment will post pictues when next in use. Thanks for your reply
Shuggy
21-05-2013 02:25pm
Offroadstu

Car will cope easily with up to 150kg nose weight with the Landrover towbar. Landrover detachable towball is 17 inches above the ground. What's the caravans miro? I think it must be your towbar if they say nothing wrong with car. Would be interesting to try your van on our car.
23-05-2013 10:05pm
Shuggy

(23-05-2013 10:05pm)Offroadstu Wrote:  Car will cope easily with up to 150kg nose weight with the Landrover towbar. Landrover detachable towball is 17 inches above the ground. What's the caravans miro? I think it must be your towbar if they say nothing wrong with car. Would be interesting to try your van on our car.

Hi,
Towed again last week and same problem on uneven or undulating road portions of which we have many in west Highlands of Scotland. I stuck some tape to the outer diameter of the jockey wheel tyre and on arrival it had been scrubbed off at one point proving the wheel is the problem. The caravan MIRO is 1436Kg and the nose weight was measured at 96Kg (under the Westfalia Tow bar limit of 100Kg). This is with the caravan lightly loaded. I again contacted the garage who had the Tow bar fitted for me at local fitter and fitter advised there is no adjustment on height of this tow bar. Under the car confirmed this and there is no visible damage or impact points on the car. Height to centre of towbar is barely 16 1/2 inches well within the regulation height so what can be done ?? I can remove the wheel of the jockey wheel when towing but this seems to be a right nuisance and should not be necessary but I will give it a try. Could it be weak suspension shock absorbers on the car ? Car is perfect solo and problem does not happen on good smooth roads. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will try to post a few pics if I can sus how to do it
Cheers
27-06-2013 04:41pm
Offroadstu

Looks a great outfit, shame you have these issues.

It must be the towbar. We have standard suspension, have you got the magna ride suspension?

We towed our coachman fully loaded with full awning at the front of caravan, miro 1530kg and bikes on the roof, three of us in the car. Not even a squeek over uneven roads in the lakes, or over some serious speed bumps on site. We have had the fixed height towbar but didn't like the untidy electrics so swapped to the detachable and no issues you mention. To be honest it towed better than our 12 plate Freelander 2, effortless.

Your towbar does seem to be further away from the bumper than either of the LR ones we have had on our car. Also the LR ones have the bumper cut and come out higher at the bottom. Although from mine and your measurements it would appear they are only 1/2 an inch different at the ball top. You did measure 16 1/2 inches to the top of the ball?
The jockey wheel seems a fair way off the ground, although the caravan does seem to sit forward a little.
Can the towbar people put a flange bar on with a riser plate to try it?
(This post was last modified: 27-06-2013 08:54pm by Offroadstu.)
27-06-2013 08:35pm