Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Evoque Caravan test
Shuggy

RE: Evoque Caravan test

(27-06-2013 08:35pm)Offroadstu Wrote:  Looks a great outfit, shame you have these issues.

It must be the towbar. We have standard suspension, have you got the magna ride suspension?

We towed our coachman fully loaded with full awning at the front of caravan, miro 1530kg and bikes on the roof, three of us in the car. Not even a squeek over uneven roads in the lakes, or over some serious speed bumps on site. We have had the fixed height towbar but didn't like the untidy electrics so swapped to the detachable and no issues you mention. To be honest it towed better than our 12 plate Freelander 2, effortless.

Your towbar does seem to be further away from the bumper than either of the LR ones we have had on our car. Also the LR ones have the bumper cut and come out higher at the bottom. Although from mine and your measurements it would appear they are only 1/2 an inch different at the ball top. You did measure 16 1/2 inches to the top of the ball?
The jockey wheel seems a fair way off the ground, although the caravan does seem to sit forward a little.
Can the towbar people put a flange bar on with a riser plate to try it?

Hi,
16 1/2 inches to the centre of the ball which is the way the Regulations spec it. Ordinary suspension although my Volvo XC60 had automatic suspension levelling as an extra to spec. and I had no such problem with same caravan. The Westfalia removable tow bar is one piece up to the socket for the hook so there is no adjustment available. I chose this towbar as the bumper cut out is negligible and the 13 pin socket folds up out of site. It is a neat job. Anyone out their fitted this towbar to the Evoque ??.
28-06-2013 12:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silver Fox

(27-06-2013 04:41pm)Shuggy Wrote:  Hi,
Have followed the posts commentary with regard to your reported problem.Your caravan appears to be set at the correct overall height with a slight lowering to the front of the caravan in relation to the back of the carava. when attached to your vehicle.I am interested to know if you resolved the issue as I have a 2014 SD4 Pure Tech 9 speed auto on order for delivery 1st March 2014 and intend to tow a 540 Swift Challenger,MTPLM(max loaded weight) 1500 Kgs.
I am considering fitting a detachable tow bar and am interested in the Thule as it has an external cover to hide the fitting when the ball is removed from the vehicle.
Regards.

Hi,
Towed again last week and same problem on uneven or undulating road portions of which we have many in west Highlands of Scotland. I stuck some tape to the outer diameter of the jockey wheel tyre and on arrival it had been scrubbed off at one point proving the wheel is the problem. The caravan MIRO is 1436Kg and the nose weight was measured at 96Kg (under the Westfalia Tow bar limit of 100Kg). This is with the caravan lightly loaded. I again contacted the garage who had the Tow bar fitted for me at local fitter and fitter advised there is no adjustment on height of this tow bar. Under the car confirmed this and there is no visible damage or impact points on the car. Height to centre of towbar is barely 16 1/2 inches well within the regulation height so what can be done ?? I can remove the wheel of the jockey wheel when towing but this seems to be a right nuisance and should not be necessary but I will give it a try. Could it be weak suspension shock absorbers on the car ? Car is perfect solo and problem does not happen on good smooth roads. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will try to post a few pics if I can sus how to do it
Cheers
31-12-2013 10:50pm
Westy

I know this is slightly different but we have towed for many hours with this attached and never had as much as a squeak and that is with a car and boot full and a roof box and bikes

Have to say amazing tow and launch vehicle

Hope you find the source soon, I have the factory dealer fit swan neck towbar

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
01-01-2014 11:57am
Silver Fox

(01-01-2014 11:57am)Westy Wrote:  I know this is slightly different but we have towed for many hours with this attached and never had as much as a squeak and that is with a car and boot full and a roof box and bikes

Have to say amazing tow and launch vehicle

Hope you find the source soon, I have the factory dealer fit swan neck towbar.

Hi,Many thanks for your update as I am struggling to obtain information directly from Range Rover Evoque owners who have towed with their vehicles.

Can you please advise distance from ground to central ball height and also if the engine is the 150 or the 190 power unit,manual or auto,mpg solo and towing and last but not least the total weight of trailer/load that you are towing.

Regards
01-01-2014 10:57pm
MrNoo

(01-01-2014 10:57pm)Silver Fox Wrote:  Hi,Many thanks for your update as I am struggling to obtain information directly from Range Rover Evoque owners who have towed with their vehicles.

Can you please advise distance from ground to central ball height and also if the engine is the 150 or the 190 power unit,manual or auto,mpg solo and towing and last but not least the total weight of trailer/load that you are towing.

Regards

On my SD4 Prestige manual fitted with a Land Rover Fixed Height Flanged Tow Bar the height is 44cm or 17 1/4 inches from the ground to the centre of the ball without the trailer attached.
Towing seems to reduce the MPG from around 37/38mpg to 35/36mpg on motorways and dual carriage ways (because you are towing you'll be driving 10mph slower than you would otherwise be which must compensate for the increased weight).
As for the boat, engine and trailer weight this varies quite a bit depending upon whether the boat fuel tanks are full or empty, how many skis and wakeboards etc are in the boat, but will be around the 950Kg mark.
Like Westy I've towed for many hours without a problem, and agree with him that the Evoque is an amazing tow and launch vehicle.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 03:50pm by MrNoo.)
02-01-2014 03:40pm
Westy

(01-01-2014 10:57pm)Silver Fox Wrote:  Hi,Many thanks for your update as I am struggling to obtain information directly from Range Rover Evoque owners who have towed with their vehicles.

Regards

We have the 150bhp manual, cars tows the boat with ease, mpg car on its own around 35mpg, on our last holiday to skye we averaged around 28mpg on a 500mile trip, not bad for good average speed with the car full and the boat full of fuel. Believe it or not through previous journeys the car seems to be more affected by the bikes and roof box re fuel economy and not towing.

Sorry don't have a measure for the ball height as boats in storage for now, next time I go over I will drop it on and let you know.

Boat package around 1300kg, both engines 150 or 190 develop very similar torque at low engine rpm so for towing very similar in power delivery bottom end, plus it has a great low first gear for those steep hill starts.

Hope this helps you

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
03-01-2014 12:52pm
andy1505

First time post, and a worrying question. we are just about to order an Evoque and have the same caravan. Have you sorted your issues? Is so how, if not should I look elsewhere?
Many Thanks.
Andy
19-02-2015 08:41am