Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Engine still pulling whilst foot on the brake
Tibbles stryker

Engine still pulling whilst foot on the brake

Hi guys, pretty new to the world of evoques but with having just purchased an sd4 dynamic 9 speed auto I was wondering if anyone can clarify this.
When stationary in traffic with your foot on the brake pedal my car feels as though it is still trying to pull. Only slightly but I can hear the engine labouring. I had a x3 3.0d previously and this always dissingaged the drive when stationary.
I've 3 days of warranty, could someone be so kind as to check theirs.
Much appreciated
Tibbles
17-12-2016 08:19am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pete

RE: Engine still pulling whilst foot on the brake

When in Drive, and you take your feet off all the pedals, the car should drift forwards on idle (on level ground). This is entirely normal for most autos I've driven.

It should only take a light pressure on the brake pedal to keep the car at rest. If you find you're having to almost hold the car back, then that's a problem.

On my old Merdeces, there was a feature that engaged the parking brake when you fully depressed the brake pedal at a halt. Pressing the accelerator disengaged the parking brake and you moved smoothly off. It's something I dearly wish Land Rover had used as well.

Porsche Macan
17-12-2016 11:04am
Tibbles stryker

Hey thanks for the response, yes just when stopped at traffic I can feel the car is slightly laboured when the foot brake is applied. I can tell via the engine note. I take it no one else has this. I have no fault codes present?
17-12-2016 12:31pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Ensure that the Eco Stop/Start is on, when you stop at the lights press the foot brake down, select N in the gearbox, engage the parking brake and remove foot from foot brake - 2 things - car won't move as the engine will be off and you won't dazzle the driver behind you by standing on the foot brake all the time.............. If you don't have reactions fast enough to stop and go into N, then just stop and use the parking brake, the car won't move and again you won't dazzle the driver behind you. I HATE drivers who stop and don't engage the park brake but stand on the foot brake, especially on a dark wet night.................. not only is it inconsiderate to the driver behind but officially you are not stopped without the park brake engaged as your foot can slip off the brake and the car roll forward into the car in front.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-12-2016 08:23pm by XFullFatTim.)
17-12-2016 08:19pm
Tibbles stryker

Cheers, really useful and fully solves my queries.
But seriously does it happen to others.......let's say in start stop traffic (in the day)......
18-12-2016 09:12am
Steve D

Pulls on mine too on tickover in gear. Mine has auto park and I don't need to touch accelerator at all when parking - I just control the speed with the foot brake.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
18-12-2016 02:59pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Like all Land Rover products Evoque has an anti-stall device, I wonder if that needs some adjustment? Does this happen all the time or only when the engine is still warming up? It could also be that the "tick-over" revs are a bit high, but it is a feature of most torque converter automatic gearboxes - I believe with CVT auto's this doesn't happen, don't know about DSG's which I believe are more automated manuals.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-12-2016 03:10pm
Tibbles stryker

Yes I did notice it when the car had only done 3 miles so perhaps with it not being hot it was still engaging the drive. Perhaps it's just a 4 pot characteristic.
Thanks for the help
18-12-2016 06:17pm