Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Engine sputtering at idle
Claud

RE: Engine sputtering at idle

Now it is warmer (is this the reason?) mine has stopped doing it, it has not have the odd hiccup in drive or reverse at low speeds or at static for over a week now.

It seems much better to drive too with better acceleration on part throttle. I guess that is the ECU learning as I use more performance as it runs in.

There seems to be 3 or 4 software updates out there on Topix, but i have not subscribed to find out what they contain, does any one have access and can advise?

I am still waiting for my dealer to call, so I may pop in and have a look over their shoulders on Topix to see what the software updates include.

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
(This post was last modified: 21-02-2012 08:38pm by Claud.)
21-02-2012 08:37pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gipcastle

Regrettably I have similar problem. Collected my car SD4 Auto Dynamic on 23rd January and identified similar problem to those already posted within first 300 miles. Problem seems to be worst as engine gets close to normal running temperature thereafter less noticeable. Particularly noticeable when in reverse and easing off brake to steady reverse speed. Between 300 and 800 miles problem also existed, although less severe, when car in neutral but now 2000 miles on clock and seems ok in neutral.

Dealer has so far said "wouldn't know where to start" as the diagnostic check does not show a problem! Last response from dealer is that they are waiting to hear from RR and I should telephone again in two weeks time.
22-02-2012 06:19pm
Barneyridge

(21-02-2012 04:47am)chiggy Wrote:  ahhhh! when I picked my car up and in the first week.. I could feel it very very slightly... didn't bug me at all.

1200kms in and was waiting to get into a parking lot today and my god it was extremely extremely annoying.

Going to the dealer tomorrow afternoon and telling him about it... it doesn't happen all the time but when it does its extremely annoying now and can feel it a lot more compared to a few days after I picked it up.

car was built 14th December... it is a TD4 though.

if I put it into neutral it all goes away but I don't want to have to do that at EVERY traffic light and EVERY time I stop. May have something to do with the car being in D so wanting to go forward but cause of the brake is halted...

it is becoming quite annoying now. Sad

Chiggy I have not suffered this in mine (touch wood). It appears that you are the only TD4 with it which is interesting. Given the different injectors with the TD4, I thought it could be related but maybe not now.

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
22-02-2012 10:04pm
chiggy

Well I just got back from the dealer and the mechanic definitely noticed it when he sat in the car.

Its been booked in to get checked on the 2nd of March so let's see what happens. The mechanic said it may just be a software issue or a software update they need to do. Either way its getting fixed (hopefully).

Something I did notice - does it only happen when the air conditioning or heating (for those in the northern hemisphere) is on? As soon as I switched the air conditioning on, you could feel it a bit more and maybe that has something to do with it - requiring more fuel or something to run the air conditioning/heating.... could be an issue.

Either way mine is a TD4 and definitely there...

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
23-02-2012 02:59am
Claud

it may be associated with heating or aiir con demand as mine stopped doing it when the weather warmed up. I will adjust the heating controls tomorrow to see if any of the settings initiates the rough idle. My problem was only apparent after the engine was up to temperature, it never occurred when it was cold.

Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
(This post was last modified: 23-02-2012 10:10pm by Claud.)
23-02-2012 10:08pm
Claud

I tried adjusting the controls for full heat and full cool in drive at tick over with no impact on my now smooth engine.

Guava, my servicing dealer, emailed today to say they had agreement from Land Rover technical for a 2 day investigation including web based diagnostics from the HQ Bow down. Thanks to Guava they had persuaded LR that there is a real issue to chase and solve. But I fear it would be fruitless to do so know, as my car is no longer displaying the symptoms, although on visiting Guava today they said at my choice they will have it in for the 2 day diagnostics even without the symptoms.

I will carry on running it as the car is a transformed beast at present with all the response and performance i was hoping for from the engineVery Happy

2010 Freelander SD4
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
24-02-2012 08:10pm
gipcastle

My dealer has now asked me to return the car; apparently RR have advised them to replace the fuel filter, meanwhile the problem has been less noticeable over last 200 miles (total mileage now 2100).

Now have problem with the motorised tailgate; sometimes it will close; sometimes it won't!!
08-03-2012 11:07pm
chiggy

Mine is going in on the 21st to get fixed although I'm 100% confident it only happens when the heater or in my case full blast air con is on and the car has been running for at least 15 minutes.

It does get very annoying because many days here in Perth summer its already 30 degrees celsius at 8 in the morning on the way to work and with the traffic and stopping every couple of minutes, it doesn't help the situation. But hopefully get fixed soon. Will keep updated.

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
10-03-2012 10:05am
Claud

My car continues not to show the original rough idle in drive issue. The suspicion from the dealer is there may have been a contaminated batch of diesel at the factory impacting a few vehicles in the December January. This would be consistent with the proposal to change the diesel filter on the car.

It took nearly 2000 miles for my rough idle issue to go away.

2010 Freelander SD4
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 01:17am by Claud.)
11-03-2012 01:15am
Land Rover Techy

(11-03-2012 01:15am)Claud Wrote:  My car continues not to show the original rough idle in drive issue. The suspicion from the dealer is there may have been a contaminated batch of diesel at the factory impacting a few vehicles in the December January. This would be consistent with the proposal to change the diesel filter on the car.

It took nearly 2000 miles for my rough idle issue to go away.

The Latest Update on this concern is to replace the Fuel Filter as there was mention of the fuel waxing more so with the recent cold weather we recenty had.

Ask me, I may just know the answer !!
18-03-2012 06:32pm