Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Engine sputtering at idle
benzina

RE: Engine sputtering at idle

Has anyone found the definitive fix to this 2012 diesel idle issue?
I have been experiencing a daily intermittent momentary idle drop (about 100rpm) during the morning warm up stage, when engaged in either Drive or Reverse at stand still or crawling pace, and this drop in RPM's happens in succession of about 3 - 5 times over the course of about 15 seconds. The first drop is the most pronounced, then with each other drop it gets better and better until back to steady normal idle operation.
It hasn't affected anything, but its annoying. After the daily warm up stage has completed, its fine for the rest of the day.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 31-12-2019 01:51am by benzina.)
31-12-2019 01:48am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
benzina

Well, i might have found the fix to this and the slight gear shift flare i had in 3rd-4th gear all rolled into the one fix....i change the transmission valve body to a new one.
Once i discovered that the valve body contains both the gear shift solenoids that actuate the shifts, and the lockup torque convertor solenoid, i knew i might be able to fix both issues in one go.
The idle issue may be transmission related, because a shift into neutral would make it stop, meaning the idle issue only occurred when under load.
A worn valve body can have contaminated solenoids through dirty oil caused by the wear.
The Transmission Control Module tells the valve body what to do, but the valve body is the one that performs the task.
So in my case..
Shift flare - The new solenoid valves etc inside the VB fixed this.
NOTE : Idle instability - (Update 2022 - No,this issue is still occurring unfortunately)

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 23-02-2022 11:02am by benzina.)
13-08-2020 05:02am
deadliner

SOLVED:
I have 2012 diesel auto and had that problem. 1st: They thought the problem was in vent which lets out excesive pressure from cam shaft (in the engine). They replaced the vent and it got a bit better but not completely.
2nd: they replaced "scale of the air" sorry guys I am from Slovakia. It is the sensor which senses the air intake to the engine (weighting the air)... The sensor it self is not expensive and it did solve the problem completely. Now my revs are steady on idle.

Dynamic TD4, Fuji White, Verve, automatic, privacy glass, style 4 19, rear cam, front-pdc, seat heating, adaptive xenons. (delivered 14.6.)
22-02-2022 12:01pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

(22-02-2022 12:01pm)deadliner Wrote:  SOLVED:
I have 2012 diesel auto and had that problem. 1st: They thought the problem was in vent which lets out excesive pressure from cam shaft (in the engine). They replaced the vent and it got a bit better but not completely.
2nd: they replaced "scale of the air" sorry guys I am from Slovakia. It is the sensor which senses the air intake to the engine (weighting the air)... The sensor it self is not expensive and it did solve the problem completely. Now my revs are steady on idle.

That sounds like the MAF - mass air flow meter or sensor - was the source of the problem

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 22-02-2022 01:36pm by XFullFatTim.)
22-02-2022 01:35pm
benzina

Thanks Deadliner & Tim.....This sounds promising to hear, as mine is still doing the intermittent idle sputtering, so i will instruct my technicians to change out the MAF sensor at my next service soon. I remember having my MAF sensor cleaned once (didn't make a difference), but never has it been replaced with a new one.
Interestingly, my SD4 was also a 2011 DEC 19 build like a few others in this thread.
This issue has been bugging me for a few years now, and they have never been able to sort it. I will report my findings here when i get it done soon hopefully. Thanks for posting these findings guys, its much appreciated.

(This post was last modified: 23-02-2022 05:03am by benzina.)
23-02-2022 03:04am
benzina

Took my car in for service at LR Dealer, but said a new MAF sensor would be close to $500 AUD. I said leave it for now, and i will locate an OEM Equipment part from LR Parts in the UK.
I've just ordered one from them....its an OEM Equipment Part MAF Sensor (made by Hitachi) and priced at 74 pounds (about $200 AUD including shipping).

When i eventually have it installed, i will report back my experience as to wether it fixed this or not.

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2022 05:42am by benzina.)
07-04-2022 05:41am