Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Electrical Boot Socket
Merf

Electrical Boot Socket

Thought I'd throw this out to the brains and experts round these parts ......

I believe that the cigarette lighter socket in the boot stays live even when you turn the car off ?

If so does anybody have any experience with the official LR cool box thing, how long can I leave it running in the boot for off the battery before I come back and can't start the car. Realise its not a precise science and depends how much is in the box and how hot it is outside, its just I'm loathed to leave it running at all whilst parked so any info gratefully received.

Thanks
20-04-2012 07:01am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

RE: Electrical Boot Socket

(20-04-2012 07:01am)Merf Wrote:  Thought I'd throw this out to the brains and experts round these parts ......

I believe that the cigarette lighter socket in the boot stays live even when you turn the car off ?

If so does anybody have any experience with the official LR cool box thing, how long can I leave it running in the boot for off the battery before I come back and can't start the car. Realise its not a precise science and depends how much is in the box and how hot it is outside, its just I'm loathed to leave it running at all whilst parked so any info gratefully received.

Thanks

Check the amp-hours of your battery (maybe written on it, or in the handbook), and the consumption (amps) of the cooler box (probably on a small plate on it somewhere) to work it into hours. You wouldn't want to run the battery down by more than, say, 25% of its theoretical maximum capacity. However, would you leave your lights on for long without the engine running? The cooler probably uses as much. Also, if it has a refrigeration cycle, with a compressor, (rather than one of the electronic types) the battery wouldn't sustain the starting current for the compressor for very long, and the cooler wouldn't work anyway. If it's something you want to do regularly, why not fit an auxiliary battery?
20-04-2012 11:08am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply