Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Electonic Handbrake Question.
PigLauncher

Electonic Handbrake Question.

A friend of mine had his Evoque for one whole day before we returned offshore, I pick mine up when we get off next month. He had one issue with his car. As his drive points down hill it momentarily roles forward between touching the accelerator and getting the bite.

This has me panicking about the wife being in a tight parking spot on a steep hill.

If you hold the EPB switch out does the brake stay on?

Manual Dynamic, Firenze, Chrome Shadows, Santorini Pano,Verve,Ebony Headliner,Lux Pack, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons.TPMS. June the 20th.
24-05-2012 12:09am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Straydox

RE: Electonic Handbrake Question.

Yup - the EPB releases automatically in reverse as soon as you overcome the weight of the car trying to roll forward.

My last Audi A5 didn't do this and you really needed 3 legs & feet to reverse out of a steep parking space - very scary.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
24-05-2012 12:35am
speary

If you hold the EPB switch up it will not auto release thus giving you better control.
Please also be aware that when moving off the EPB is supposed to auto release in 1st, 2nd and reverse. It wont auto release in 2nd. I have flagged this with my dealer and also with Nick on this forum but to date had no response.
Just another note
On hills when you release the foot brake the brakes still hold for a few second to allow you to get the clutch biting point. Mine only does this on moderate to steep hills, other members say their does it on any incline, perhaps it another software bug

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
24-05-2012 08:36am
PigLauncher

Thanks I will put this to the test when I pick it up.

Manual Dynamic, Firenze, Chrome Shadows, Santorini Pano,Verve,Ebony Headliner,Lux Pack, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons.TPMS. June the 20th.
24-05-2012 03:55pm
rchrdleigh

GRADIENT RELEASE CONTROL (GRC)
With HDC activated, if the vehicle is stopped on a slope using the foot brake, GRC will become active (except in Terrain Response Sand program). It operates in all gears and in neutral position. During a steep hill descent, when the foot brake is released GRC will automatically hold brake force for a short period before gradually releasing it, allowing for maximum control to be retained. During an uphill start, a similar brake hold and gradual release is employed. This allows time for the driver to apply speed and allow the vehicle to move away smoothly.

Should work on any slope over 18 degrees.
24-05-2012 09:50pm
PigLauncher

I have just down loaded the owners manual pdf and read it from cover to cover (not a busy shift). I am a little more familiar with the EPB and everything else now. Thanks for the help.

24-05-2012 10:28pm