Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drying the Car.
Evo-king

Drying the Car.

So, the other day, I gave my car it's first proper clean since it was detailed, it is obvious some special kind on bodypaint treatment is on the car, as the water dislikes the panels.

Anyhow when it comes to the final rinse and drying the car, this is where it becomes interesting/awkward.

I use Sonus microfibre drying towels and use the dab and lay the towel on the panels method, which works really well, almost all of the moisture is removed. Then I use a separate MF Towel to remove the rest.

It is at this point you realise where all the water traps are on the car. I've never seen so many water dribbles appear from all around the car. Anyone else noticed the same thing, obviously, Black shows this up more.

Anyhow, my detailer use a portable blower/dryer, and I can see why he used it on this car. I'm tempted to get one, prices vary from £100 - £200, or maybe just for now experiment with a hairdryer.

So from one obsessed cleaner, any thoughts?

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
19-05-2012 10:23am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

RE: Drying the Car.

You can buy the same kit, but named as "dog dryer" for a lot less money.

The best one I found was with Amazon. Pet dog grooming blaster dryer 2800w £84.99
Same as a car one but half the price

A garden vac/blower also works.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2012 11:05am by doug.)
19-05-2012 10:43am
broady43

I take the car for a spin round the block after washing it and then dry it.You don't get the drips from the mirrors and tailgate then.

5 door Pure sd4 Tech Fuji with black roof, tinted windows, ebony seats, style 4 alloys, xenons, fogs,black grille.
Arrived 29/03/2012.
19-05-2012 12:37pm
doug

(19-05-2012 12:37pm)broady43 Wrote:  I take the car for a spin round the block after washing it and then dry it.You don't get the drips from the mirrors and tailgate then.

And your drying out the brakes

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
19-05-2012 02:01pm
Evo-king

(19-05-2012 10:43am)doug Wrote:  You can buy the same kit, but named as "dog dryer" for a lot less money.

The best one I found was with Amazon. Pet dog grooming blaster dryer 2800w £84.99
Same as a car one but half the price

A garden vac/blower also works.

I've seen those dog dryers, Adam my detailer mentioned them, but because he's a pro, he needed to know how much psi/air force they they put out, but they don't say, so he went for the dearer car dryer model.

I'm going to experiment with a hairdryer first, no doubt I'll look a complete pr-tt using one.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
19-05-2012 03:13pm
Donny Dog

(19-05-2012 10:23am)Evo-king Wrote:  So, the other day, I gave my car it's first proper clean since it was detailed, it is obvious some special kind on bodypaint treatment is on the car, as the water dislikes the panels.

Anyhow when it comes to the final rinse and drying the car, this is where it becomes interesting/awkward.

I use Sonus microfibre drying towels and use the dab and lay the towel on the panels method, which works really well, almost all of the moisture is removed. Then I use a separate MF Towel to remove the rest.

It is at this point you realise where all the water traps are on the car. I've never seen so many water dribbles appear from all around the car. Anyone else noticed the same thing, obviously, Black shows this up more.

Anyhow, my detailer use a portable blower/dryer, and I can see why he used it on this car. I'm tempted to get one, prices vary from £100 - £200, or maybe just for now experiment with a hairdryer.

So from one obsessed cleaner, any thoughts?

It's the worst car I've ever had for water traps, and it notices even on Indus Grey I can assure you!
19-05-2012 05:40pm
xxxx5

(19-05-2012 05:40pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  It's the worst car I've ever had for water traps, and it notices even on Indus Grey I can assure you!

Got to agree, takes me quite a while to remove all the water drips

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
19-05-2012 07:39pm
PhilSkill

Manual actually says to take for a spin after washing, Mirrors and rear lights seem worst areas.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-05-2012 10:42pm
The Valeter

The tailgate is by far the worst part of the car for drips/runs.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
19-05-2012 10:44pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

Yes first car I've had where its essential to open the tailgate everytime to wash!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
20-05-2012 12:11am