Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Driving Positon
SW6RR

Driving Positon

Whilst clearing not deterring me from a blind order (!), I have been preoccupied a bit with the driving position. One of the nice things about 4x4s is the elevated driving position (or "command" position as I believe range rover calls it).

Anyone who has sat in one have any thoughts on the "sports command" position of the Evoque? Obviously this is completely subjective and a matter of feel and personal taste, but I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on what the position feels like.

Does it actually feel like a 4x4 position, but just a bit lower? Or is it so low as to feel like nothing more than a slightly elevated saloon position?
13-04-2011 11:46am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Driving Positon

What command position? In an Evoque you sit lower than in a Freelander2. I will miss being able to look over the tops of the hedgerows and looking down on lesser mortals in their repmobiles, but at least I can go for a run in my Defender if I want to so the views again! Must admit in the FFRR I can overtake other traffic in places where nobody else can just because I can see over the hedges and fences, and over the tops of the cars in front!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-04-2011 12:09pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-04-2011 12:08pm
SW6RR

Interesting. Presumably though there will be some noticeable difference for those of us who drive cars now rather than 4x4s?
13-04-2011 12:11pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Oh yes you will be higher up, but not in the same league as the bigger Range Rovers and Land Rovers, but I'm not expecting the great touring bus view that I have now!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
13-04-2011 12:19pm
SW6RR

Thanks, that's what I thought. Not up in the gods with the FFRR, but a somewhat elevated position would be nice!
13-04-2011 12:20pm
Kermit

Probably feels like driving any of the small SUVs, from a height perspective.
13-04-2011 02:09pm
vision*R

The Evoque has a slightly elevated saloon position, similar to a Volvo XC60 for instance.

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
13-04-2011 02:17pm
Blackseries

Before you get a chance to sit in an Evoque I would say the best alternative to get a feel for the driving position and how the road will look to you is sit in / drive a Mercedes B Class. The reason the Evoque doesn’t really feel like a small SUV is because you tend not to sit as bolt upright as you would in an SUV. It’s a more normal car type "feet forward" driving position – just a foot higher off the ground. The only car I can think of that is like that is the MB B Class (because of its sandwich floor) The Volvo XC60 & the FL2 are quite a bit higher (and bigger) than the Evoque so probably don't give a true representation.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
13-04-2011 11:09pm