Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Don’t be put off buying Evoque!
jcarrot

Anyone thinking of buying an Evoque and then reading the various posts on this forum recently would be rightly concerned and would probably go out and buy anything rather than Land Rover products.
As I understand it some 400,000 Evoques have now been made and sold around the world and if they were as bad as some people make out that would certainly not be the case.
I am a retired Farm Manager/Vegetable Grower and have been driving (officially) for 55 years, during that time I have had the privilege of either owning or having as a company car some 45 vehicles.
These have ranged from the Mini through Renaults, Audis, Rovers, Land Rovers, Jaguar, Subaru and at this moment an Evoque Pure Tech with Tech Pack, reverse camera etc.
The best car has been the Evoque for all round performance and comfort, the 9 speed box and low down torque make it as quick in real world situations as the 3.0 litre Subaru Outback and S-Type Jaguar I owned ( both 240 hp on tap ), for reliability the 2 Subaru Outbacks and the S-Type ( which I had from new until 8 years old ) are joint winners.
4 Land Rover Discoveries, 200Tdi, 300tdi and 2 TD5s one after the other were very reliable covering 500,000 miles in 10 years but were expensive to maintain, never letting me down but heavy on wearing parts and services.
The Evoque was 2 years old on the 1st March 2016 and has only done 12,500 miles in that time but all enjoyable, it puts a smile on my face each time I take it out.
It has not been without the odd problem or two though, on the first day of taking it out the Land Rover computer would not for some reason or other let the Dealer register it for about 6 hours.
The following week Land Rover got in touch, apologised for the problem and to compensate for our inconvenience offered £500 to spend on a weekend away, gratefully received!
A month into ownership the gearbox flagged up a fault, I took into the dealers who supplied me with a loan car ( a new manual Freelander for one week, when I commented on the fact that I preferred an auto box a Range Rover Sport was supplied instead ) whilst it was investigated. It needed replacing but there was at that time a shortage of gearboxes so it was almost a month before I got the car back.
Land Rover Customer Service contacted me a week after I got the car back to ask how it was and offered £1,000 towards an extended warranty for my inconvenience.
The only other problem I have had was an electrical one which shut down Phone, Sat Nav and Audio but was sorted after a 2 day visit to the dealer about 3 weeks ago.
The car does have one little foible which I have learned to live with, after 2-3 hours at a constant 70 mph on Cruise Control it will show “Restricted Performance”, it doesn’t actually affect performance and after switching off at a service station resets ok.
I use the brim method to check fuel and over the 12,500 it has averaged 35.5 mpg.
So, if you are thinking of buying an Evoque you could be unlucky but the vast majority of buyers don’t seem to be and even if you have problems, most dealers will do their best to help as I have found.
My experience over many years is that JLR and their dealers are among the best around.
07-03-2016 06:41pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadt Panzer

+1

Somewhere in the North Sea.
07-03-2016 08:26pm
AndyFrance

RE: Don’t be put off buying Evoque!

Made me smile Very Happy

When I got rid of my Evoque, it felt like a 1700kg weight had been taken off my shoulder's. I'm happy for you if it's still the best car you've ever had........even with the problem's.

Happy motoring!
07-03-2016 08:36pm
sethor

Sounds like you have very good dealer, how they deal with issues reflect peoples perception of the brand. I have had a few issues over the years, most have been handled well by dealer. Just had a recent issue which has left me with a sour note, all got sorted in the end but could have been handled better. It has put me off this car (not Brand) which I'm in the process of selling.

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
08-03-2016 03:16pm
Koidream

Indeed, a lot can be done by the dealer.
When we brought in our 1 month old Evoque for bodywork due to a bad alligned 5th door, we asked for a replacement car (warranty I thought).
That would be no problem the man replied, it only costs 150€ a day... The car had to be in for 3 days.
How do I feel? Ask AndyFrance!

BMW 315
BMW 518
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8D
BMW 320i
BMW R100RT
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Rover 623 Si
BMW 518i
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD
VOLVO S60 D5
Range Rover Evoque TD4

[Image: 343895.png]
08-03-2016 07:30pm
AndyFrance

(08-03-2016 07:30pm)Koidream Wrote:  Indeed, a lot can be done by the dealer.
When we brought in our 1 month old Evoque for bodywork due to a bad alligned 5th door, we asked for a replacement car (warranty I thought).
That would be no problem the man replied, it only costs 150€ a day... The car had to be in for 3 days.
How do I feel? Ask AndyFrance!

This will make you feel better Koidream............I just did the sums. When I sold the Evoque I had to accept a loss of 12,425€. I owned it for 104 days. That works out at 119,47€ per effing day!

The JLR CEO Speth earns millions per year, but he never responded to any of my emails, he never offered any assistance, he never cared what happened to the car, nor me for that matter. He looked away, and I took the fall.

So, I enjoy reading about what the die hard LR preacher's preach.................It makes me smile, as I know it's utter nonsense.

Cheers
Andy
08-03-2016 09:11pm
jcarrot

(08-03-2016 09:11pm)AndyFrance Wrote:  This will make you feel better Koidream............I just did the sums. When I sold the Evoque I had to accept a loss of 12,425€. I owned it for 104 days. That works out at 119,47€ per effing day!

The JLR CEO Speth earns millions per year, but he never responded to any of my emails, he never offered any assistance, he never cared what happened to the car, nor me for that matter. He looked away, and I took the fall.

So, I enjoy reading about what the die hard LR preacher's preach.................It makes me smile, as I know it's utter nonsense.

Cheers
Andy
One of the first things I learnt when buying any make of new car was to get an undertaking from the dealer that an equivalent vehicle would be available for either service or warranty with no charge.
This has been the case without exception on everything I have ever had dealings.
The only charge has been £10 for excess insurance, and of course supply fuel.
08-03-2016 09:44pm
AndyFrance

(08-03-2016 09:44pm)jcarrot Wrote:  One of the first things I learnt when buying any make of new car was to get an undertaking from the dealer that an equivalent vehicle would be available for either service or warranty with no charge.
This has been the case without exception on everything I have ever had dealings.
The only charge has been £10 for excess insurance, and of course supply fuel.

You've replied to the wrong post fella. You should have continued with the party line to the post before mine.
08-03-2016 09:57pm
BA74

Here's another one to make you smile @andyfrance...

Had my Evoque nearly three years and loved it, it's still the best looking SUV going around. Never had a single issue with it and the dealer was excellent. Services a breeze and loan car every time. I sold it as my lease was nearing the end and very nearly went again. Only gripe I ever had was the power, Even my Si4 was under powered for the size of the car. If they put a 6 cylinder in it would buy one straight away.

I ended up with a BMW X4 as I love the styling on this too and the 6 cylinder engine is amazing. Took a Macan for a test drive but was underwhelmed with the car and the dealer service. F Pace being launched this week and am considering but it doesn't look like an Evoque!

I know you had lots of issues and I feel for you Andy, but don't assume all Evoques are flawed because of you're experience.

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
09-03-2016 08:54am
AndyFrance

(09-03-2016 08:54am)BA74 Wrote:  Here's another one to make you smile @andyfrance...

Had my Evoque nearly three years and loved it, it's still the best looking SUV going around. Never had a single issue with it and the dealer was excellent. Services a breeze and loan car every time. I sold it as my lease was nearing the end and very nearly went again. Only gripe I ever had was the power, Even my Si4 was under powered for the size of the car. If they put a 6 cylinder in it would buy one straight away.

I ended up with a BMW X4 as I love the styling on this too and the 6 cylinder engine is amazing. Took a Macan for a test drive but was underwhelmed with the car and the dealer service. F Pace being launched this week and am considering but it doesn't look like an Evoque!

I know you had lots of issues and I feel for you Andy, but don't assume all Evoques are flawed because of you're experience.

Underwhelmed with a Porsche? That's a goodun Laughing
09-03-2016 09:33am