Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do not drive onto a shingle beach!
ED209

Do not drive onto a shingle beach!

Well went fishing least night on Seaham hall beach, Co Durham. Learnt a lesson. Basically you can drive your ca ronto the prom (not officially) but its narrow and difficult to do a 3 point turn. At the end is a ramp which runs down to a shingle beach with large stones.

I thought ooh i have a 4x4 if i just drive onto the stones i will be alble to turn around easier than if i do it on the prom! Wrong decision. Car dug itself into the shingle, stones chucked up by the wheels. I eventually managed to drive myself out after about 10 mins stuck but it was touch and go. I nearly asked a bloke parked on the prom in a xtrail for a tow!

I think i have probably chipped my alloys quite a bit , which i will check soon and the clutch was smelling a bit!

Note though the tide doesnt reach where i drove onto the beach so there was no danger of me getting swamped, if there had been no way would i have driven onto the beach!

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
09-11-2012 09:22am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
griff

RE: Do not drive onto a shingle beach!

at least it got you out!
were you using the sand programme?

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
09-11-2012 10:05am
cjfp

Do we need a 'shingle' terrain setting ? Laughing

Isn't shingle just 'big sand' ?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
09-11-2012 10:36am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Don't you have foot well mats? You could have laid "sand" mats to get traction and saved scuffed alloys and chipped paint.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
09-11-2012 10:44am
ED209

(09-11-2012 10:36am)cjfp Wrote:  Do we need a 'shingle' terrain setting ? Laughing

Isn't shingle just 'big sand' ?

It was a mixture of stones, not sand from small golf ball size stones to stones maybe the size of a fist or a little bigger. It was totally dry. I put the car in sand setting but it didnt seem to like it!

Anyway I just washed the car and the damage to the wheels is nowhere near as bad as i thought, one tiny chip to one of the alloys, hardly visible.

I suppose i did get out without assistance but I felt like an absolute tool at the time.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
09-11-2012 10:46am