Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Did I just get a Friday car?????
nippynorman

Did I just get a Friday car?????

Hi - Sorry if I seem totally fed up but I have never bought a Landrover before and maybe I had the wrong expectations from the start.

We chose an Evoque HSE Dynamic as it looked stylish, had lots of features that we wanted. Having driven one and compared it to a Q5, Discovery Sport and an X3 we were sold on the Evoque. The ordering experience was very slick and we were well looked after but having parted with our money, things changed rapidly.

The car arrived damaged. The paintwork was damaged, it looks as if a transporter strap was to tight - you could still see yellow marks on the rear quarter panels and they had both been pushed upwards and the paint had flaked off. The car was dirty, the rear seats were watermarked and muddy and the inside of the engine compartment also very muddy. It had 8 miles on the clock. It went back to be valeted before we were presented with it again.

The salesman was apologetic and said he would send the car to the body shop to be fixed. They had the car for about a week and when it was returned the paintwork had been repaired. The repair was little short of awful- there was overspray all over the plastic wheel arch inserts on both sides, complete with the masking tape marks. Additionally the salesman said he was unable to find the rattle that we had complained about and said that the loose and squeaking packing material around the spare wheel was standard. He said that the overspray was 'just a cleaning product' but he was unable to wipe it off and the car had to go back to the paint shop to be 'cleaned up'

The sales manager was summoned who explained that he had not been able to source valeters or paint shop operatives of the quality that he would like!

We took the car away vowing never to return to that particular dealer. Shortly afterwards the boot lid started to jam and the rear camera realigned itself to give a great view of the bumper. The hinge grates in the trim recess and the plastic is wearing away on both. The roof bar insert is also wearing away.

We decided to try another dealer to see if they could do any better and they did a great job trying to cheer us up but we then find that the boot will require new hinges and will take a week to repair. The car also needs new underpanels which were loose, distorted and probably the source of the rattles.

We left the garage slightly more encouraged that the car would eventually be fixed but then the warning lights started up on the dashboard disabling the command shift for the gearbox and closing down all of the driver command options. None of the steering wheel functions seem to work any more.

The car has currently done 5.000 miles. I have always bought Toyota's in the past and in 250.000 mile of motoring have never had a breakdown. The cars are always delivered on time and clean and unbroken. Perhaps Landrover might learn a thing or two from a visit to a Toyota salesroom?

Any similar experiences or suggestions how I get out of this mess?
05-08-2016 10:43pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wheels

RE: Did I just get a Friday car?????

You should have rejected it on the spot
06-08-2016 08:36am
sasdiscos

Thats a real shame.

Landcover after sales is very broad depending on.. well nothing really. Some get good, some get bad. I think land rover need to work on quality and the q5 would have been a better car to buy imo.

I brought a second hand evoque and so far I haven't suffered a single problem. Touch wood.

However, my discovery 2, discovery 3 and ffrr were horrendous! Miss the discovery 3 tho, best car I've owned.

I think a lot of people fall in love with the brand. i.e. myself. But they lead you to frustration. A lot of people have them till the warranty runs out and then bins them off, ffrr owners don't give a toss about there 100k + car. They drive it, abuse it and then get rid.

New car with those issues should be rejected mate.

Steve
06-08-2016 03:36pm
nippynorman

(06-08-2016 08:36am)wheels Wrote:  You should have rejected it on the spot
Would have liked to but I had to pay for the car before I saw it.

Thanks for your reply

regards

Nigel
06-08-2016 09:03pm
rchrdleigh

Irrespective of whether you paid for the car before receiving it or not you should have rejected it and demanded a like for like replacement. Unfortunately having taken it to a different Dealer the selling Dealer could now argue against rejection.
If it was me I'd contact LR Customer Services either direct or through their Forum page and seek their assistance in resolving your issues which are not acceptable on a new car.
09-08-2016 09:21pm
nippynorman

Thanks for the advice - have contacted LR customer services after the cruise control packed up and the wheel illumination failed.I'm not sure what function they provide as the guy Rob said he would call the garage where I bought it but I would have to deal with them if I wanted the stuff fixed. He also said that the 30 day period for rejecting the car had elapsed - I wasn't told there was a rejection period. However the worse part was when I complained about the dozen or so faults in the first 5000 miles was this .. well you can't possibly compare this with a Toyota because there are a lot more parts to go wrong! This really is a no win situation for me.
22-08-2016 02:09pm
PhilSkill

If you are not happy with the repairs made the consumer-rights act covers "Satisfactory Quality" for Six months with 1 attempt at repair to satisfactory quality... Sounds like you haven't had that so Quote the consumer-rights act (replaced sale of goods act in OCT 2015) at them, and demand your car be refunded, or a new free of charge replacement be ordered.

Read up a bit on the process first... It should be a simple process that the dealer first and if they reject LR should have to respond to, and knowledge will help against being intimidated by the so called Dealer Principal that you will undoubtedly need to put the case to.

e.g.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advic...car-rights
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/co...r-top-tips

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
22-08-2016 05:16pm
nippynorman

Car now seems to be fixed. Harwoods did a great job trying to repair my confidence in the dealer service and the brand. Did the Landrover off road day last week which also cheered us up a bit now we know what the car can really do so we will hold fire for a while and see how it goes. Thank for all the help and advice.
30-08-2016 08:38am