Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Did I buy the wrong Evoque?
Ghost Rider

Did I buy the wrong Evoque?

Following my post in the S3 thread I am wondering whether I bought the wrong Evoque. I went with the 2.2 diesel as it seemed the sensible choice and when it came to the crunch and I had to finalise my order there was no avialiabilty on Si4. I am disapointed with the performance of my Evoque, I think the engine is unrefined and the gear box not much better. On top of which the fuel consumption is rubbsh, I know MPG has been done to death and I didnt have high expectations but am still some way short and in fact the difference is not far off my Audi S3! My journeys are mixed some days there is a lot of short stop start journeys other days i will do 200 mile round trip on motorways. the kong trips return ok but still below expectation MPG and the short journeys are shocking. It got me thinking would I have been better off with the petol? I accept the MPG maybe a bit lower but offset in part by cheaper pump price, however if the petrol engine is more refined and gives better performance, then slightly less MPG is a sacrifice I would be willing to make. Anybody with experince of both versions able to give some views?
oh and dont get me started on the sat nav!!!!!

Now in possesion of my SD4 Auto Dynamic., Santorini, Privacy Glass Shadow, Chrome Shadow style 7's Mixed emotions
(This post was last modified: 13-02-2013 04:41pm by Ghost Rider.)
13-02-2013 04:34pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Did I buy the wrong Evoque?

Judging by what you write above you need to edit the last two words out of your signature.......

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-02-2013 04:59pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-02-2013 04:57pm
scrannel

The turbo 2.0 inline 4 gasoline motor is all we get in the states (so far). Coupled with the (also mandatory) automatic + 4wd, it is indeed a brilliant little package. Very refined and a little rocket when you want it to be. Obviously I have no experience with the diesel, but am very happy with this package.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
13-02-2013 05:04pm
Ghost Rider

@XFullFatTim Confused

Now in possesion of my SD4 Auto Dynamic., Santorini, Privacy Glass Shadow, Chrome Shadow style 7's Mixed emotions
13-02-2013 05:08pm
J77

You have answered your own question, from what you have writen you should have went with the petrol.

I personally would like the Si4 as I don't do a massive amount of miles, unfortunately though LR don't believe in offering buyers of the other models the pleasure of choice.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
13-02-2013 05:17pm
alibeau

My previous car was the X5 3.0 diesel sport, nippy and quiet. I was convinced I would be happy with the diesel Evoque but I test drove the SD4 and Si4 back to back and the Si4 blew me away. I had visited the dealer with zero intentions of buying the petrol Evoque as I had driven BMW diesels for many years but the SD4 was a bit sluggish and noisy compared to the X5.

The Si4 was definitely the right decision for me and it sounds like it would have been for you too Sad

Hope you get it sorted Wink

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
13-02-2013 05:51pm
mark_n

Have to say my Si4 is developing a decent turn of speed as the engine beds in and I get used to extracting the performance. I walked past an SD4 this morning and it does sound rather agricultural. The downside of course is fuel consumption, I'm averaging 26-27 which is fine, I drive it hard and the RRE is a heavy and not especially aerodynamic car. Then add in the inevitable overhead of the 4WD system and it's not surprising. I love the refinement of the Si4, the more I drive it, the happier I am with it.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
13-02-2013 06:17pm
Jonathon555

I had to get the diesel because i do 300 to 400 mile trips alot of days.

The performance seems adequate for what i need it to do, however fitting a tuning box made a difference. It felt more alive.

But its not running the Tuning box since its service and it feels pretty lively.

38.8 mpg average since first service , 36,9 mpg prior to service

And i am not driving economically any more

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
13-02-2013 07:02pm
The Valeter

I've just sold my Si4 not because I hated it,,,,,,,I loved it & was the only reason I bought the Evoque initially as I hate the sound of oil Burners. The petrol is a very refined engine. It is punchy & sounds good too. I am waiting for my Pure Tech diesel manual to arrive. I would likely have had a petrol in it but us in the UK can't have it.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
13-02-2013 10:05pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
broady43

(13-02-2013 10:05pm)The Valeter Wrote:  I've just sold my Si4 not because I hated it,,,,,,,I loved it & was the only reason I bought the Evoque initially as I hate the sound of oil Burners. The petrol is a very refined engine. It is punchy & sounds good too. I am waiting for my Pure Tech diesel manual to arrive. I would likely have had a petrol in it but us in the UK can't have it.

Am I getting this wrong or has landrover stopped issuing petrol Evoques to the UK?

5 door Pure sd4 Tech Fuji with black roof, tinted windows, ebony seats, style 4 alloys, xenons, fogs,black grille.
Arrived 29/03/2012.
13-02-2013 11:57pm