Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Damm it !! those pot holes
invoke

Damm it !! those pot holes

Got the first ding while driving back from work. Ran into a pot hole at traffic light corner, was not that deep but it did some pretty good damage.. speed was not more than 20 miles. Rear wheel is sort of twisted inwards. Looks like the main damage is to this some kind of flimsy bar (see pics).

Wondering what is this part called ???.. and how much it cost?? .. afraid to take to the stealer who is going to charge arm and leg... Im sure there might be more damage that is not grossly visible (sensors, bushes, camber settings etc. etc)..

Will appreciate your input. thanks much !!

On the hind side, I recommend to reinforce these bars (there are already holes in there, atleast one with a welded nut)... this is flimsy part and i don't think evoke can handle offloading stress etc with this.. just a thought !!

[attachment=2747]

[attachment=2748]

[attachment=2749]
(This post was last modified: 18-09-2012 04:33am by invoke.)
18-09-2012 03:17am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Izzy

RE: Damm it !! those pot holes

That got bent from a pothole? I've done some suspension work(on a Mini) and can't fathom that arm bending from just a sudden downward shock(unless there's direct force). I think that ought to be a warranty replacement.

Note: The arm doesn't seem like the upper or lower control arms so it must be a arm link to the sway bar(maybe?)
18-09-2012 04:31am
PhilSkill

I'd have thought to bend that like that it needs a compression loading from the front side, something hitting your wheel, it's some form of tie bar and has no adjustment that I can see and there are 2 other much stronger bars, in the trailing arm and the rear tie bar.

I would call LR assist and have it taken back to the dealer, ok their labour rates are bad but it looks an easy part to replace and best to keep your warranty and make sure there is no other damage by the wheel being offset.

The part looks like it has a sacrificial bend in it already looking at mine to save damaging other parts like the hub itself, I wonder if those holes/nut are for a strengthening bar to bolt to if you are using it for serious off roading, maybe some experienced off-roaders would know more...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 18-09-2012 08:01am by PhilSkill.)
18-09-2012 07:54am
speary

To be honest the bar looks like it was made that way. Check it against the bar on the other side of the car

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
18-09-2012 08:13am
DaveR

It looks like a form of track control arm. I noticed that part looked somewhat flimsy when i was underneath the other week fitting a tow bar.

Had a look at http://lrparts.ru/ and it just refers to it as a suspension arm.

Must have been quite a pot hole!
18-09-2012 09:40am
PhilSkill

(18-09-2012 08:13am)speary Wrote:  To be honest the bar looks like it was made that way. Check it against the bar on the other side of the car

His is clearly folded in pic 2, mine are straight!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
18-09-2012 10:31am
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

definately the rear front suspension arm, they are made to crumple as such under severe strain/impact, the FL2 uses the same ones, never had to replace any bent ones in the past.
i would call in at your local dealer and get it changed under warranty, and get them to check everything else as my tech's have never seen a bent one before, and think some more damaged would likely to have occured.

http://www.duckworthparts.co.uk
http://www.duckworthlandrover.co.uk - Vehicle Sales
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk

You can make a paypal directly to the email above

[Image: hwc8.jpg]
18-09-2012 02:18pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
invoke

Thank you all,

All this happened on a turn, My impression is the wheel got stuck in the pot hole and while i was turning, it caused both pulling and twisting force on the wheel, the net impact was on this poor part which left the wheel in a more critical position. Surprisingly there is no damage to the tyre or to the wheel.

I wonder what will happen on an offroad trip where there are more uneven land senarios.

Sad

Black/Black Dynamic (with missing dynamic button), 4dr and a tailgate, stadium seats with butt warmer, extra large moon roof for kids clustrophobia, velcro surface card board floor mats, factory installed humming accessory and the famous "Wind noise-rattle package".
18-09-2012 03:13pm
IKM

Well I live off the public roads, up a fairly lenghthy (uphill with a tight corner) unmade track with quite a few largish potholes. Not once have I come across the problem reported (and I've owned several Freelanders). So it looks like a warranty issue with a faulty part in the first place.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
(This post was last modified: 18-09-2012 03:35pm by IKM.)
18-09-2012 03:34pm