Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Dab & FM reception poor
Mike

RE: Dab & FM reception poor

Latest update from Landrover customer services.
Tech guys have come back saying the stereo is up to the job on the Evoque, ie not a design issue but a signal issue. In my view if I can't listen to the radio without it breaking up in everyday driving, then its not good enough. Its like designing a new TV which can't pick up any channels, so they blame the transmitter strength!
So my idea is to buy a radio with a decent aerial, wind the window down and hold it while I drive and of course take a picture, first I will send it to Land Rover directors, and if no response off to the press.

Firenze Red Dynamic SD4 Man
Red Black Leather
Pan Roof
Shadow Alloys
Black Roof and Headlining
Privacy Glass
Delivered 27/1/12
11-05-2012 05:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JackMac

Still no fix from LR? The FM reception is complete sh*t. Worst I've experienced in 20+ years in any vehicle. Why advertise the virtues of a Meridian® sound system then feed it with very poor radio reception?

I achieve far better sound quality streaming Pandora over a mobile phone network, then bluetooth to the head unit. Crazy but true.

LR needs to step up, figure out the cause, and correct it.

2012 Range Rover Evoque 5-door Si4
(This post was last modified: 14-05-2012 07:29pm by JackMac.)
14-05-2012 07:29pm
Highlander

I picked up my dynamic with a panaromic sun roof and privacy glass 2 weeks ago and also have the same issue with the Dab & FM reception. Took it back to the dealers and they said there was an issue and all they could do was register it with Land Rover and wait for them to come up with a fix. I will also be phoning customer services on Monday to register the problem.

Apart from the above I love the evoque. Having followed them for a year before they were launched I ordered a dynamic 2.2 auto orkney grey in the January and picked it up in the May. The dealers could not have been more helpful from start to finish.

Lets hope Land Rover try to resolve this quickly.
09-06-2012 10:21pm
Mike

Update:
Emailed Director Mr Phil Popham and asked that he deal with the matter himself, only to be once again passed to someone else, a Mr Richard Clarke in the executive office. So far he has come back to us 3 times saying the stereo is at 100% performance and there is nothing they can do. This is absolutley not acceptable and we are awaiting a further call. When he last 'phoned he spoke to my wife, who asked him what he would do if his radio in his Range Rover didn't work; his answer was ... well wait for this, that he drives a Nissan. Unbelievable!
[EMAIL ADDRESSES REMOVED WHILST WE INVESTIGATE POSITION RE EMAILS IN OPEN FORUM]
if you have the same problem please email them.

Red Black Leather
Pan Roof
Shadow Alloys
Privacy Glass
Delivered 27/1/12
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2012 01:54pm by cjfp.)
15-06-2012 09:36am
mark_n

It's all down to a greedy government which wants to restrict the area of the spectrum used by DAB and DTTV so that other areas can be auctioned off for other uses. The problem is that transmitter power then has to be reduced to avoid interference in overlapping signal areas.

The theory is that digital signal strengths can be lower because built in error correction allows a "perfect" signal to be reconstructed but as we know, it breaks up when the limits are reached.

I think DAB reception will always be highly sensitive to where you are. There may of course be a problem with your car but the aerial is not going to conjur up signals from thin air.

Oh, and by the way, why do you think it's unbelievable that someone who works for JLR drives a Nissan? Do you think all production line workers at Ferrari drive one?

Perhaps Richard Clarke is a work experience gofer for whom an RRE is out of reach. Or maybe he drives a Nissan for its superior DAB reception... Rolling with Laughter

Finally, you shouldn't post people's email addresses in an open forum, however vexed you may feel. They can be picked up by web bots and is how much junk mail originates.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2012 07:52am by mark_n.)
17-06-2012 07:36am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

Email addresses to stay removed - issues with your Evoque which the dealer cannot sort can be directed to the very helpful Nick@LandRover on here who will find the correct route to get your issue dealt with.
17-06-2012 02:43pm
Mike

Mark

1 - I think you are missing the point, it is both Dab and FM.
2 - As I have said previously 12 years at this address owning Range Rover and Discoverys with no radio problems.
3 - You can hardly compare someone working in the executive office at Landrover, to someone working on the production line of Ferrari.
4 - Point taken about the emails.

Martin
I have read on here that Nick does not reply, and don't you think I have taken it a lot higher than him/her and not got anywhere.

Anyway, when you drive your Evoques into the countryside in less populated areas of the UK, then maybe you will see my point.

Red Black Leather
Pan Roof
Shadow Alloys
Privacy Glass
Delivered 27/1/12
17-06-2012 06:17pm
Highlander

(17-06-2012 06:17pm)Mike Wrote:  Mark

1 - I think you are missing the point, it is both Dab and FM.
2 - As I have said previously 12 years at this address owning Range Rover and Discoverys with no radio problems.
3 - You can hardly compare someone working in the executive office at Landrover, to someone working on the production line of Ferrari.
4 - Point taken about the emails.

Martin
I have read on here that Nick does not reply, and don't you think I have taken it a lot higher than him/her and not got anywhere.

Anyway, when you drive your Evoques into the countryside in less populated areas of the UK, then maybe you will see my point.

Hi,

Yes unfortunately it is both FM and DAB. My previous car, a focus, has excellent reception (FM only). On the drive there is no interference on the focus radio but there is on the evoque radio.

I have registered it with Land Rover customer services who have given me a case number. They said nothing was being done at present as there could be a whole lot of external reasons for the poor reception. I will give them a follow up call again in 3/4 weeks.

It is such a shame as it is a lovely car.
17-06-2012 06:43pm
mark_n

I think there must be something wrong with your car, both FM and DAB on mine are fine.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
18-06-2012 09:29pm
doug

(18-06-2012 09:29pm)mark_n Wrote:  I think there must be something wrong with your car, both FM and DAB on mine are fine.

Yes, but you live in London. Very Happy

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
18-06-2012 10:27pm