Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DAB radio antenna
skyman

DAB radio antenna

Hi guys,

first post from a newbie so forgive me if I tread on any toes!

I've just bought a 2013 Evoque special edition - very pleased with itVery Happy

However, a bit dissatisfied with the DAB radio reception. On my previous car, Infiniti FX30d, I fitted an amplified rooftop DAB aerial made by Kinnetic (or some name similar) and it was perfect. Could still listen to the London DAB stations way past Basingstoke on the M3. On my Evoque they drop out somewhere around Farnborough and even the national stations (BBC, Classic etc) drop out from time to time. And whenever I engage reverse gear, all DAB stops Sad

I'm thinking of fitting a rooftop DAB aerial. It'll have to be at the front end of the roof as I've got the panoramic sun window roof. I'm thinking just above the courtesy light maybe?

My question is, where is the DAB radio tuner itself? Is it in the boot? Anyone know which side/exactly where?

Any tips on improving DAB reception greatly appreciated.

Robin
(This post was last modified: 24-02-2015 02:44pm by skyman.)
24-02-2015 02:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: DAB radio antenna

Does your car also have the TV tuner? If so then you may need a software upgrade for the DAB.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-02-2015 01:09pm
skyman

(25-02-2015 01:09pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Does your car also have the TV tuner? If so then you may need a software upgrade for the DAB.

Hi, no I don't have the TV tuner. What is the software update for?

Thanks
25-02-2015 02:36pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The one I was talking about was due to the re-assignment of DAB frequencies and we all had to select the USA as the system to use until a software fix was found that stopped the cutting out of the DAB.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-03-2015 02:01pm
emvee

(24-02-2015 02:42pm)skyman Wrote:  Hi guys,

first post from a newbie so forgive me if I tread on any toes!

I've just bought a 2013 Evoque special edition - very pleased with itVery Happy

However, a bit dissatisfied with the DAB radio reception. On my previous car, Infiniti FX30d, I fitted an amplified rooftop DAB aerial made by Kinnetic (or some name similar) and it was perfect. Could still listen to the London DAB stations way past Basingstoke on the M3. On my Evoque they drop out somewhere around Farnborough and even the national stations (BBC, Classic etc) drop out from time to time. And whenever I engage reverse gear, all DAB stops Sad

I'm thinking of fitting a rooftop DAB aerial. It'll have to be at the front end of the roof as I've got the panoramic sun window roof. I'm thinking just above the courtesy light maybe?

My question is, where is the DAB radio tuner itself? Is it in the boot? Anyone know which side/exactly where?

Any tips on improving DAB reception greatly appreciated.

Robin

The DAB should be under the headliner in the middle between the back spoiler and the panaromic glass roof..

Register and Subscribe to topix.landrover.jlrext.com

They have component location, removal/installation, wiring info, etc.
04-03-2015 07:47pm
PhilSkill

(24-02-2015 02:42pm)skyman Wrote:  Any tips on improving DAB reception greatly appreciated.

Robin

Why not take it back while under warranty as my DAB reception is superb far better than any radio before it!

If it cuts out when selecting reverse then it's easy to show them something is wrong.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
04-03-2015 09:53pm
skyman

(04-03-2015 09:53pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Why not take it back while under warranty as my DAB reception is superb far better than any radio before it!

If it cuts out when selecting reverse then it's easy to show them something is wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will investiagte further and report back when I have decided what to do. The DAB reception is pretty good and would probably satisfy most people, but I know it can be better...and sadly I'm a perfectionist!
17-03-2015 05:14pm