Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DAB+ Radio for Land Rovers
slee18

RE: DAB+ Radio for Land Rovers

I have HD radio in California, might want browser the channels to find one. HD is US version of DAB

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
10-01-2013 06:33am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goldenboi79

HD Radio is quite different from DAB. DAB is a set of dedicated channels broadcast nationally over a separate frequency. It allows you to receive these dedicated channel anywhere that has coverage within the country. In contrast HD radio in North America broadcasts a digital HD version of the station you are receiving over regular FM, allowing you to switch to a HD version of it. Different concept entirely. Content/functionality-wise DAB is far more similar to how satellite radio is implemented in NA, whilst HD is basically just a better quality (digital) version that some of our radio station broadcast their existing content in.

I have DAB in the UK, and both SiriusXM and HD radio in North America, so am fairly familiar with them Wink.

**Quick Edit to this: Upon further research another reason DAB isn't used in the US is that the frequencies are already reserved for use by the US Military, creating an additional issue as well as having to cover the population with towers broadcasting the frequencies. Apparently, Canada actually did broadcast DAB for a number of years in 80s/90s but most stations went off air because due to lack of DAB in the US and Canada not being considered a large enough market on its own, there were no receivers available for purchase in North America so the only way to pick up the DAB stations was to bring a DAB receiver from Europe.

(10-01-2013 06:33am)slee18 Wrote:  I have HD radio in California, might want browser the channels to find one. HD is US version of DAB

2013 Range Rover Evoque Si4 Prestige: 5 Door, Santorini Black, Tan Interior, Cold Weather Package, Park Assist, 20" Style 6 Wheels.

Build date: 21 August 2012
Vancouver, BC, Canada
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 08:59pm by goldenboi79.)
11-01-2013 02:37am
Donny Dog

(18-10-2012 10:00am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  "the web is awash with Land Rover fans......................... etc"
If this is true that this is the first time DAB+ has been mentioned on this forum or any of the other LR owner's forums (9 of them!) that I read. You do your case no favours by overstating the case, LR will just ignore it as they read all the other fora as well.

I thought I had read about it on here. I was certainly aware of the DAB+ issue and can't think where else I might have read it.
11-01-2013 10:41am