Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Crunching noise
doug

RE: Crunching noise

Could it be linked to the "stop start" ?

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
30-11-2011 09:12pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

(30-11-2011 08:00pm)M.I.B Wrote:  This is under normal driving after only applying the foot brake to come to a rest,( no EB applied ) then reversing onto the drive or parking the vehicle, if i then drive forward i get the same noise, but with most problems its very intermittent.

I think you need to try to work out how to reproduce it by checking what you do exactly each time it happens, and determine if its brakes dragging, or something more unusual in the drive side. e.g. if it only does it immediately as you move having just braked, imagine brakes dont release properly you start to move you get the crunching noise which causes them to release and noise stops. But never easy unless you can reproduce it.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-12-2011 12:48am
vinny

Picked my sd4 manual up on saturday and it did this twice within the first 50 miles.I knew as soon as I heard it it was exactly what you described,just like running over a plastic bottle.
Sounded like it came from nsf wheel.Is yours still doing it?

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
16-01-2012 10:37pm
cjfp

Linked to EB but not actially EB, might it have anything to do with the hill start function - brakes hold the car for a few seconds when foot comes off brake? Does it happen when you pull away quickly? Slowly? Both? I sometimes feel the brake appear to stick if I try to pull away too.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
16-01-2012 10:44pm
vinny

Every time it happened I was on the flat and moving forward after reversing out a parking space.
Still done less than 200 miles,not overly concerned at the moment but you are right about it feeling like the brakes were stuck on then releasing?

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
16-01-2012 10:54pm
yucca

This crunching has just happened to me twice in two days when pulling out of my drive and then reversing backwards to straighten up. It is a Pure 2x4 eD4 with manual g/b. Does anyone know anything more on this? Seems to affect all the models of Evoque.
13-02-2012 03:52pm
PhilSkill

In 18 months ive never once had this, then today in a car park, dead flat pulled up selected reverse started to move and crrrrunch, immediately stopped as I thought I ran over a plastic coke bottle, immediately recognised what others have described here. I felt nothing to suggest brakes binding had not engaged epb but what else could make this strange noise, passenger even commented that wasnt you was it? But there was no other car around, i guess the noise was amplified being in an inside car park. Changed my mind on the parking space and after came back to the car never gave it another thought so doesnt seem a problem just a very odd noise!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-03-2013 01:26am
EpicEvo

Crunching noise

Had mine for just over 1000 miles now. Have herd and felt this about 20-30 times also... Only when moving around my underground car park tho for the first min on driving... Doesn't sound like a good sound!!
10-03-2013 09:04pm
Westy

(16-01-2012 10:44pm)cjfp Wrote:  Linked to EB but not actially EB, might it have anything to do with the hill start function - brakes hold the car for a few seconds when foot comes off brake? Does it happen when you pull away quickly? Slowly? Both? I sometimes feel the brake appear to stick if I try to pull away too.

I too think that this is linked to the auto hill hold, mine has done this about 10 times in 13 months, quite scary at first as it is harsh but have got used to it, mine also is linked to slow manoeuvring from forward to reverse, I think it grabs the brakes for a milisecond, first time it did it car was three weeks old in a busy car park and I was convinced someone had driven into the back of me and was gutted, got out to find nothing.

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
11-03-2013 02:23pm
cjfp

Anyone ?? - just appeared on Topix !

LTB00532 - Hill Start Assist Applied During Low Speed Manoeuvres

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
12-03-2013 04:48pm