Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hesitating/stuttering after prolonged stop-start
drdicky

Hesitating/stuttering after prolonged stop-start

Hello,

Recently, I've had ~4 occurrences of the car hesitating/stuttering after setting off where stop-start the engine has been off for approximately 20-60 seconds. The revs climb to approximately 1,200rpm and fluctuate at that level, regardless of how much acceleration is applied. After a 2-3 seconds it returns to normal. It's very unnerving especially when this happens after setting off from a junction/roundabout.

I called out Land Rover assist who say they been to a few (3+) instances of the same problem (all 2014 plate cars), but unfortunately the logging in the car does not show a problem. He did apply an "air path" update. Nevertheless the car is now at my local dealers.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Or know anymore about this issue?
(This post was last modified: 27-05-2015 01:21pm by drdicky.)
27-05-2015 01:21pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
drdicky

RE: Hesitating/stuttering after prolonged stop-start

The dealer was unable to reproduce the issue (I totally expected this given the particular circumstances and rarity that the issue would appear). Initially the air path update seemed to fixed the issue.

However, most recently the car has been making a wheel spin noise from the rear of the car under a similar circumstances (accelerating away from standstill and under around 35mph). I would say not gentle but neither aggressive acceleration, more progressive and climbing to around 2700-3000rpm, there would be the wheel spin/scuffing/cuffing noise, and some hesitation. Above 35mph there would be no hesitation or strange noises.

Again, I called out Land Rover Assist, the technician acknowledged the noise but couldn't really offer help (he suggested it could be an issue with the haldex unit). Today I have taken it back to the dealership, I took the technician for a drive and, ironically, the car hesitated and stuttered almost meters down the road (it hadn't done this for some time and I presumed the stuttering had been fixed). They kept the car for the rest of today, they now suggest it's an issue with the turbo (but, a recording of the noise and some diagnostic information need examining by Land Rover Engineering).

This is a painful process. It feels like I am QA'ing their cars!
17-08-2015 10:01pm
harry

mine doest this too - sometimes no power when accelerating from on 1st or 2nd gear. no warning lite comes up. asked dealer to check - no errors, no repair...
my guessing is the EGR valve is about to die
I will check with start-stop ON (I always switch this to OFF)
manual TD4 (2012), 70.000 km
18-08-2015 08:47am
Jeroma

(27-05-2015 01:21pm)drdicky Wrote:  Hello,

Recently, I've had ~4 occurrences of the car hesitating/stuttering after setting off where stop-start the engine has been off for approximately 20-60 seconds. The revs climb to approximately 1,200rpm and fluctuate at that level, regardless of how much acceleration is applied. After a 2-3 seconds it returns to normal. It's very unnerving especially when this happens after setting off from a junction/roundabout.

I called out Land Rover assist who say they been to a few (3+) instances of the same problem (all 2014 plate cars), but unfortunately the logging in the car does not show a problem. He did apply an "air path" update. Nevertheless the car is now at my local dealers.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Or know anymore about this issue?
----------------------------------------------------------
Just was intending to post about a similar problem with my 2014 eD4.
I never leave the stop-start in active position. After having stopped and trying to drive away there is no reaction on throttle input, it feels like the engine is dying off, after a few seconds it does pick up again normally or first starts stuttering and picks up.

I recently almost had a serious crash on a round-about in heavy traffic when the engine did not respond to throttle input in the middle of the round-about.

But as you mention, in case of no fault code my dealer probably will stay silent. In the mean time my wife is very reluctant to drive the car again.

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
18-08-2015 12:54pm
Jeroma

Visited the JLR dealer 2 weeks ago in order to investigate about the engine troubles. As mentioned by others they could not retrieve any fault code from the system.
They told me that they did fiddle around with the air valve or something similar. For 2 weeks the problems with the poor throttle response and stuttering on acceleration seemed to be solved... until a few days ago when the throttle response deteriorated again. Yesterday at the exit of a turn the engine started stuttering again and only by applying the clutch and pumping the throttle I saved the engine from stalling .
Did some one of the previous posters reach a result with his dealer, would be interested to know before I take further steps.
Thanks a lot.

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
02-09-2015 04:23pm