5 Door Dynamic
5 Door Prestige
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Coupe or 5 door - Poll
mark_n

RE: Coupe or 5 door - Poll

I think the opportunistic pricing of the coupe - £1000 more in the UK, don't know about other markets - cannot have helped but the poor rear access and more limited visibility will be the real reasons. These rule out the coupe as an everyday family car and it only works for me because I hardly ever need to take people in the back.

How LR thought they could get away with the seat adjustment motor moving the seat forwards for rear access is beyond me. I wonder too whether there will be reliability issues. The designer will have assumed the motor would only get occasional use, even if regularly driven by two people, not frequent full scale forwards and back.

The cost difference irks me too. Only two doors instead of four, no rear electric windows, less materials, less work on the line, higher price. It will be interesting to see if the premium is maintained in the next model year (though with a return to inflationary times, we can't rule out mid-year price increases).

As for expected sales, I think a figure of 2:1 was mentioned but in the end, practicality is proving the deciding factor.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
27-09-2011 04:11am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GibEvoque

I think the reason is that generally the people buying the 5 door versions are in their 30's and require the practicality of a 5 door for family reasons, and choosing it as an alternative to either another 4x4 such as the Q5 or and estate i.e Merc C-class etc which are all in the same price bracket.

The coupes seem to be for the older crowd whos kids have left home, but have grown used to the 4x4 driving experience, especially LR, with a number changing from FFRR and RRS's. However at this leve you get fewer new customers to the marque.

I think the LR marketing bods would have picked up on this early on, might also explain the pricing structure, which makes the 5 door slightly cheaper than the coupe, based on levels of disposable income of people in these two brackets.

Alot of assumptions and generalisations above, but its what i sense through the various posts here, especially the thread on current vehicle.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
27-09-2011 10:14am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Traditionally car makers have always charged more to give you less practicality. It's one of those great questions in life, why do they do it!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
27-09-2011 10:27am
benzina

Bump for the newbie's. Cheers

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 27-10-2011 02:19am by benzina.)
11-10-2011 02:56am
KPNuts

The Coupe we are getting is more practical than the car it is replacing - a 9-3 convertible! So it partly depends on where you are coming from (vehicle wise).

SD4 Coupe Prestige, Orkney Grey, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel, Dipping RVM
Ordered: 12/09/11 Collected 22/12/11
Supporting Macmillan Cancer Support in Mac 4x4 Challenge
11-10-2011 09:35am
benzina

Bump for the newbie's. CheersSmile

Edit, thurs 27th : Won't have to bump from now on, as we have them all in one place and where they should be...stickied. Cheers

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 27-10-2011 02:22am by benzina.)
26-10-2011 03:54am
griff

(26-10-2011 03:54am)benzina Wrote:  Bump for the newbie's. CheersSmile
What does this mean in English?
Grumpy old 57 year old wants to know Laughing

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
26-10-2011 08:10am
SW6RR

"Bumping" a thread means you reply to it, just to get it to the top of the thread list (so new posters can find the posts easily).

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
26-10-2011 11:08am
benzina

Bump for the newbie's. Keep those votes coming. Thumbs Up

10-05-2012 02:24am
MartinP

It's one I missed Benzina, updated now!

Retired! SD4 Manual, Prestige 5 door, Havana with Ambiance interior, plus lux pack and spare wheel.
Arrived! SD4 Auto, Autobiography 5 door, Kaikoura Stone with Tan interior, HUD/Solar glass, ACC, Lane Departure warning, Sign recognition plus spare wheel. Built 16 March. Collected 2 April.
[Image: 129200.png]
10-05-2012 05:46am