Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Comparison with 8 speed Auto box
IKM

Comparison with 8 speed Auto box

While my car was in for warranty work today, my dealer lent me a 2012 RRS autobiography for the day (putting temptation my way!). Great car to drive, and easier than I thought it'd be to manouvere in narrow double parked roads etc.

As the 2012 RRS model has an 8 speed auto box I thought I'd find a BIG difference between the smoothness of that in comparison to my Evoque's 6. It was maybe marginally smoother in changing up and down .... but very very little in it. I think it was Tim (amongst others) who pointed out that the more you drive the auto Evoque, the better it gets, and the auto box adapts to your driving style. It certainly appears that way.

Still tempted though by the RRS's command driving position, and the air suspension and offroad height adjustment, etc etc., but it wouldn't now be the gear box that persuaded me to change.

Oh, and by the way, first class customer service from my dealer (Town & County) for the warranty work.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
21-09-2012 09:01pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
David Cameron

RE: Comparison with 8 speed Auto box

Sorry, but the 8 speed box is more responsive and a lot smoother than the 6 speed Evoque and I've got both!
21-09-2012 09:24pm
IKM

(21-09-2012 09:24pm)David Cameron Wrote:  Sorry, but the 8 speed box is more responsive and a lot smoother than the 6 speed Evoque and I've got both!
Thanks, interesting. Is that view based on driving mainly in town or/ and country B roads (and just out of interest, how many miles have you driven in the Evoque)?

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

21-09-2012 09:40pm
Barneyridge

I find the auto excellent in the Evoque, no issues and very smooth and quick

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
21-09-2012 09:51pm
David Cameron

A mixture of both, but mainly rural I have to say. 5k in the Evoque Dynamic, 1k in the new Disco 4 SDV6 8 speed.

I love the Evoque for styling and if there's just the two of you with not much luggage, there's nothing better..... Except id have to say the D4.

It is better in a lot of ways, air suspension, low range, rock crawl, massive boot, 7 seats, very smooth, goes like a bat out of hell, better spec than the Evoque, but to be fair, it was also a bit more money too.

I didnt think id say this but if I could keep only one, then it would have to be the Disco. SWMBO agrees surprisingly. It's a fight to get the Discos keys.
21-09-2012 11:01pm
IKM

[quote='David Cameron' pid='69932' dateline='1348264860'

I didnt think id say this but if I could keep only one, then it would have to be the Disco. SWMBO agrees surprisingly. It's a fight to get the Discos keys.
[/quote]

Yep, I'm tempted by the D4, but the slab styling at the back has put me off a bit. Better value though than the RRS, and not likely to be changed in 2013. Thanks! SWMBO thought the RRS ugly, and the autobiography a bit blingy, especially the sidesteps and exhaust tips.

(This post was last modified: 21-09-2012 11:26pm by IKM.)
21-09-2012 11:22pm
David Cameron

No changes for 2013MY Disco bar the odd thing like a new colour and a special edition. If I were you, I'd take a test drive, you'd be impressed.
22-09-2012 12:06am
Craig_d1

Have to say SHMBO considers our D4 her dream car though I have to say not nearly o 'chuckable' around the corners compared to the Evoque. For a bit o fun I'd choose the Evoque, for family travel, the D4
22-09-2012 12:31am
David Cameron

Couldn't have put it better.

SWMBO was hankering after a second Evoque until she saw the Disco, now she is smitten. The Evoque hasn't turned a wheel this week! Makes a nice driveway ornament.
22-09-2012 07:13am
Izzy

Personally not a fan of the Aisin transmission on the RRE. It likes to lag(sometimes even keeping RPMs around 1100) and asking it to suddenly accelerate creates a reluctance to downshift(causing extremely slow acceleration). I believe a remap could easily change the shift points however so it could be an easy fix. I do wish it was also rated for slightly more than 290 hp though.
22-09-2012 05:51pm