Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Changing from an Audi S3 to an Evoque, Consumption, Power ect.
freakz

Changing from an Audi S3 to an Evoque, Consumption, Power ect.

Hey guys, great board!

Today I need some help from you, currently I‘m driving an Audi S3 (Facelift Model from 2009). I love my S3 but at the last time I‘m doing to much kilometers per week (sometimes more than 1,300 km) and an S3 isn‘t really the right car for that - it consumes to much and it isn‘t that comfortable Wink

So right now I‘m really taken by the Range Rover Evoque.
Today I‘ve taken a test drive on it and it felt great. Surely it doesn‘t has the same power as my 265 HP S3, but the Evoque felt very comfortable - anyway - they are completely different cars.

I like the look of the SD4 4WD Diesel 190 HPS in the Dynamic Version and I‘m kinda sure that at the end it will be that car which will detach my S3.

Till now I just have some difficulties with the exterior design... Should I take:
5 Doors or the Coupé
Black or White?
If White, Black Roof or White ... They‘re all so nice....

But ... what I really wanted to ask:

Who are driving the SD4 Diesel Version (190 or 150 HP), how‘s about your consumption? One of the reason why I‘m changing my car is because my current car consumes to much, how is it with the Evoque? It‘s pretty hard to find an objectiv opinion because quasi the whole internet is copying the stats from the land rover website and we know that these values aren‘t that true.

The other thing I‘m thinking about is if I should take the coupé or the 5 door version. Surely the five door version is more comfortable, but as I‘m driving almost all the time alone, the coupé could be the better option because overall it is more beautiful Wink

Is there planed model for the next year?

What do you think?

I hope you didn‘t have to many problems with my post, my english isn‘t that good Wink

Regards

Ivan
12-02-2013 12:25am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Craig_d1

RE: Changing from an Audi S3 to an Evoque, Consumption, Power ect.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-MPG-What-s-the-problem

You might want to read the above post for fuel consumption....
12-02-2013 12:39am
Straydox

That's a tricky question and as an Audi fan pondering whether to have another Evoque or ordering an Audi Q3/Q5 I'll try an give you an objective answer:

1) The Evoque is gorgeous to look at - there isn't an Audi that is anywhere near as pretty to look at.

2) The Landrover 2.2 diesel lacks the refinement of the VW/Audi diesels and fuel consumption is circa 25% higher than LR quote - and with diesel being more expensive than petrol that hurts in the pocket - lots of posts here on that. Putting that in an Audi context the 245hp V6 3.0 TDI in the Q5 is quite a bit more economical and a lot quicker/smoother

3) The Evoque handles way better (even on stock Pure/Prestige suspension) than either the Q3 or the Q5, more like a hot hatch than an SUV, it is a lot of fun.

4) The Evoque interior is a nicer place to be than most Audis, visually anyway, - the quality of the Evoque interior plastics leaves a lot to be desired, we all grumble about the glove box lid for example - this sort of thing you take for granted in the Audi, probably never give it a 2nd though? Interior trim rattles and buzzes are a feature of some cars - but not all.

5) If you do a lot of Kms in the S3 you probably use (and take for granted) the MMI Audi navigation system? The Landrover one isn't anywhere near as good either as a navigation device or as a platform for media files (no SD card slots and going much past 16gb on a USB storage device is painfully slow to load each time you start the car). No internet enablement or that kind of technology at all.

6) 2014 specs - we don't know yet, will be later in the year.

Switching from an Audi - take a careful look, some of the Evoque's beauty is just skin deep - be objective and compare like for like and if you can do that and still choose the Evoque then you will enjoy it immensely.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 01:06am by Straydox.)
12-02-2013 01:05am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

3door or 5door? As you are like me by your description and rarely carry rear seat passengers then go Coupe. The seat designs are the same anyway, there is a surprising amount of rear room in the Coupe once the passenger is installed. If money allows go for the panoramic roof if you also spec the dark interior for a coupe, it makes a big difference to light levels inside and makes it less claustrophic.

Auto or manual, fuel economy is about the same - poor!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
12-02-2013 03:16am
speary

Straydox is right the build quality and plastics on the Evoque are not as good as Audi. BUT the Evoque just has something about it. Maybe it has the X factor Very Happy
Imho the coupe looks better as does the pure

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
12-02-2013 09:37am
gw76

I went from Audi TT-S DSG to RR E Dynamic 5 dr Auto

Build quality quite good and maybe just a notch off Audi
Handling was a big change (and understandbly going from a low squat racing coupe to a bulky high 4x4 - so be prepared when chucking it round corner
Fuel comsumption is again understandbly slightly worse than 2,0 DSG
5 door RR better than TT for access and baby seat. Boot more accessible but not much bigger than TT (not sure of A3)
Gear changes in auto on RRE a bit sluggish and overall the engine running and noise is less refined.
Very distinctive looks and currently more fashionable than any Audi.
Overall quite happy with the change. The LR experience has been no worse so far than Audi
12-02-2013 06:43pm
The Valeter

I have a customer that picked his new Q5 S-Line Quatro up last week & whilst the interior is ok it is dull compared to the Evoque & has big thick plasticy inner door sills, the seats look very Skoda like with flat smooth leather.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
13-02-2013 01:56am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Surely GW, you are comparing the noise of the Evoque which is a diesel with a petrol engine. I would suggest that for a diesel the Evoque is pretty good. The major difference for somebody coming form a peaky petrol engine that needs the nuts reved off it is the different driving style required for a diesel with all it's torque where you want it, low down in the rev range. Of course once you get any diesel up to 4000 rpm it runs out of puff. The great thing with modern diesels is just how much torque they have at revs that would make a petrol engine stall.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-02-2013 01:04pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-02-2013 01:03pm
Ghost Rider

Its your lucky day. I had an Audi S3 sportback DSG and swapped it in for an Evoque 2.2 190bhp Dynamic auto. The S3 was a good car but thirsty. I went into Evoque ownership with my eyes open on the MPG front so wasn't expecting my Evoque to set the world alight with its economy. I am very torn in where I am on the ownership experience. My biggest suprise was that IMO the evoque handles better than the S3!. I love the look of the car and there is not much else I would want to drive ( that I can afford) on the looks fornt. Ideally boot space could be a bit bigger but I can get by with its size and it certainly carried everything the S3 did and a bit more. BUT having coming from a number of various German cars the biggest weakness in the Evoque compared to the competition is the engine and gear box. My biggest gripe is you neither get decent performance nor economy and there are options out there that will give you a reasonable amount of both, but I am not greedy I would settle for one or the other but I am not happy with either on the evoque. Just as means of comparrion I got an average of just over 26mph in the S3 and getting 29.5mpg out of the evoque and the gap is smaller when you factor in the increased cost of diesel. My routes and driving style have not changed. I have been considering changing the Evoque and funnily enough I had a Q5 3.0tdi for the morning today. The engine and gear box were great, the problem is it is dull to look at and doesnt come close to the handling of the Evoque. That said I am very tempted to orider a SQ5 but will probably wait to see one in the flesh. Do I msis the S3? not really ( it didnt rank as one of my favourite cars i have owned) and I dont regret the change, but what I want is an Evoque with a decent engine, in fact if you took the engine and gear box from the Audi and put it in the Evoque I would be happy.

Come on Land Rover make my day sort out a RRE with a decent engine in please! Before those customer you initially won over from the Germans go back

Now in possesion of my SD4 Auto Dynamic., Santorini, Privacy Glass Shadow, Chrome Shadow style 7's Mixed emotions
13-02-2013 04:15pm
gw76

"you are comparing the noise of the Evoque which is a diesel with a petrol engine"
Mine was a petrol Evoque last time I looked....
13-02-2013 07:45pm