Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Caught in 2 minds about keeping the evoque - trading down?
ED209

Caught in 2 minds about keeping the evoque - trading down?

Well had the evoque just under a year now, just had an offer on it for about 90% of what i paid for it. I appreciate this is fantastic residuals really however the offer is from a dealer so I could probably get a bit more in a private sale.

Now I am tempted to sell it and trade down to a skoda octavia vrs blackline edition estate with the diesel engine. I have discussed with a skoda dealer and about 18k will secure one. These are run out cars with full leather/nav etc. I knw they are getting replaced soon but it seems like a massive amount of car for the cash to me.

Should i be sensible for once, sell up before depreciation kicks in and pay the spare cash of my mortgage?

Or should I keep the evoque?

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
01-03-2013 10:14am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
heronb

RE: Caught in 2 minds about keeping the evoque - trading down?

I'd only sell up to buy something I wanted, so if you can drive past an Evoque in the Skoda without the pangs of regret.....
I try not to buy cars which are due for a change, poor residuals.
01-03-2013 10:36am
WB
WB

I think I'd be asking myself what the likely residuals will be on the Skoda compared to keeping the Evoque.
01-03-2013 10:42am
timhum

If you need the money go ahead with your proposal, it makes excellent sense. If that is not the case and given you are happy with the car if dealer is prepared to pay 90% of the cost of a one year old vehicle why not take it and buy a new Evoque? With a £2.5 discount on the new car, as per recent posts, you can change into a new Evoque for circa £1.5k on the basis you paid in the region of £35k for your car.

As an aside I really don't understand how a dealer can pay this much for a 1 year old car, who is going to buy it from him for virtually the list price when new cars are available quickly and with discounts.

Tim
01-03-2013 10:57am
ED209

(01-03-2013 10:42am)WB Wrote:  I think I'd be asking myself what the likely residuals will be on the Skoda compared to keeping the Evoque.

I have asked myself this, I know its a model at the end of its life cycle but it already has about 5k off list and free leather/nav.

Running costs will be lower than the evoque thanks to 3 years free servicing and maybe an extra 10mpg.

The cash i will have left over will enable me to knock £50 a month off my mortgage for the next 25 years too, which will make me £15k better off over the course of the mortgage even at todays low interest rates.

On the other hand it wont have the snow ability, and the looks of the evoque.

I will ponder over the weekend.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
01-03-2013 10:59am
J77

I share your dilemma, very tempted to go back to a Discovery, it doesn't help when your salesman says he has the perfect car for you. The Evoque is my fourth LR, my very first being a Disco, I love the Evoque but I just don't get the same feeling from driving it as I did from the Disco or Fl2, really missing the high seating position.

Decisions, decisions.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
01-03-2013 03:39pm
Urban Splash

I'm the same.......Disco makes more sense. More room, higher and mpg is just as rubbish as Evoque.

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
01-03-2013 05:57pm
Lofty

Your doing well to only loose 10%, but the money your saving may well be lost through higher depreciation on the Skoda when you come to sell it.The highest cost of running a car is nearly always depreciation, a Skoda will lose 20/25% from the moment you drive it off the forecourt.
01-03-2013 06:38pm
Daigriff

Ed only you know the answer. I personally wouldn't but that doesn't mean I'll think the same in 6 months. £50 saving towards mortgage payments wouldn't sway me either.

But everyone's situation and thought process is different.

The only Thing I would say though is that's a hell of a deal if only 10% off original priceSmile

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
01-03-2013 06:57pm
THEMACS

As has been said, it's all about what you feel is right for you, obviously eating into your mortgage is a good idea but pending on your rate it can be relatively cheap borrowings.

I like the Octavia VRS I think they are a good solid car that looks good. But I guess the residuals won't be so good certainly on a run out model, so I guess you need to be happy with the level of discount.

It's all about personal preferences and personal circumstances, I am sure you will make the right choice.

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2013 08:09pm by THEMACS.)
01-03-2013 08:08pm