Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals

The auto Evoque is faster accelerating than the manual....................... by a significant amount!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-09-2011 05:59pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
boxersergio

True.

However, driving in curvy and steep roads, I prefer a manual. MPG……… better by a significant amount!
04-09-2011 06:17pm
Rattrala

Auto
04-09-2011 06:38pm
Wicksy

Been driving an auto box in my Lexus 400h for the past couple of years - I enjoyed it at first but now can't wait to get back to a manual shifter - its much more engaging and the extra mpg is an added bonus
04-09-2011 06:51pm
XFullFatTim

Wicksy, I thought the 400h is a hybrid and is supposed to be ultra economical or is it a myth?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-09-2011 08:33pm
Wicksy

(04-09-2011 08:33pm)FullFatTim Wrote:  Wicksy, I thought the 400h is a hybrid and is supposed to be ultra economical or is it a myth?
Bit of a myth, Tim, I average 28mpg - nowhere near the official figures - it is a very nice car though, refinement is top class
04-09-2011 10:47pm
boxersergio

It was a tough decision for me. FullFatTim is right about the auto having a much better acceleration. I even considered going with gasoline for that reason alone. In the end, I love the three pedal option and can’t get myself to go with the auto. I know I’m probably in the minority here; it is just a personal preference. There are not many SUV’s that offer a manual transmission.
05-09-2011 01:15am
XFullFatTim

Greater acceleration isn't everything and I have to agree that on the sort of roads you are buying your car to drive on I would have gone manual too. I'm not totally sold on auto boxes for every eventuality - for instance I have stated elsewhere on the forum I would love an automatic Defender, but off road on the trails that I drive with very steep slopes an auto is actually a liability and the few people who come along to events that have an automatic all say afterwards they wished they had a car with a manual gearbox. Manuals seem to be able to utilise engine braking far better than auto boxes. BUT take me in the city with lots of stop start motoring then I would much prefer my automatic.

05-09-2011 09:22am
boxersergio

FullFatTim, I totally agree with you!!! For city driving an auto can’t be beat. I’m also a fan of faster cars. To lessen the blow of being slower I would be saving the upfront cost of the auto plus around 250 gallons of diesel if I drive 50k miles in 4 years. Beaucoup d'argent. That said, I would have been very happy to pay for a manual V6 if it would have been offered.

Dynamic Plus SD4 Coupe,Fuji White,Velocity Ebony Oxford,Manual,Meridian 825W,20”Style 7,Pano Roof,ETA Jan 12
05-09-2011 01:27pm