Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals
Kermit

CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-an...ng_manuals

Quote:Compared with Britain, where just one new vehicle in five is an auto, 71 per cent of Australian buyers opted for one last year -- up from 61 per cent a decade ago.

Am I crazy if I go for a manual RRE (I've never owned an auto)?
09-06-2011 05:03am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vinda

RE: CarsGuide: Auto is killing manuals

Go for auto. Unless Mark ups are outragious
24-06-2011 12:51am
Kermit

(24-06-2011 12:51am)vinda Wrote:  Go for auto. Unless Mark ups are outragious

$2.5k extra Down Under. If it was the 8 speed auto I'd be alot more excited. SWMBO perfers a manual. We'll test drive both.
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2011 01:51am by Kermit.)
25-06-2011 01:49am
berlin2011

No Choice on that one in South Africa - Only Prestige and Dynamic and only Auto

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
25-06-2011 02:41pm
gead

My evoque will be an auto, but when the second car comes along, it will be a manual

White 5 dr SD4 Dynamic.
04-09-2011 04:32am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Unless it's a car with a puny little 1ltr engine I wouldn't have another manual gearboxes car again, today's autos all have a manual override/tipronic/paddle shift/DSG anyway - one I wouldn't recommend though is the Honda system on the early current model of Jazz. My father has one and it isn't really an auto, it's an automated manual and it is awful and very confusing to drive as it decides when it wants to be manual or automatic. Thank goodness Honda took note in the huge drop in sales of auto Jazzes, listened to complaints from owners who threatened to walk away from the brand and re-introduced a "conventional" CVT auto for the oldies who seem to make up 90% of Jazz sales.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-09-2011 10:41am
gead

My current car is a dsg r36 passat, and it's an amazing combination of engine and gearbox. No doubt its probably quicker than an equivalent manual, but for driving enjoyment (not the daily grind), I think a manual transmission is unbeatable. I drove my mates Rs Clio 200 the other day, and the simple act of slotting your own gears was so rewarding....much more so than pulling a paddle...

White 5 dr SD4 Dynamic.
04-09-2011 12:01pm
boxersergio

Somebody once wrote in a car magazine that driving a manual is like making passionate love, it involves engagement and a workout. Driving an auto was almost like artificial insemination. I agree.
04-09-2011 04:19pm
bell-auto-services

I used to be a manual fanatic type person and would not entertain autos, since then i have had an RRS which are only auto and loved it, i then had a D4 auto for 2 years and loved it.

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
04-09-2011 05:19pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DynamicRRV

Auto!
04-09-2011 05:47pm