Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Carrying 3 or 4 Bikes - Best/Cheapest Option?
NightFox

Hi,

While the English summer lasts, I'd like to be able to go on a couple of days out cycling with the wife and kids but I'm looking for the best way of transporting 3 or 4 bikes on my Evoque (I say 3 or 4 as I could possible get the youngest's in the boot). I know there's lots of separate threads on best bike carriers and best tow bars etc, but I'm really looking for some overall advice on whether I'm going to be able to transport 3/4 bikes with my Evoque without spending oodles of cash, as it'll probably be only used occasionally. The key thing is I don't have any roof rails/bars and I don't have a tow bar, so if they're going to be required I can see it getting a bit to expensive to be worth the outlay.

If I need a trailer board for the rear lights, I'm also not quite clear what the situation is - are the connections already there and I can just plug it in, or is more money required there too?

Any options/advice/ideas?

Thanks! Neil

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
13-07-2014 01:49pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChuckieB

RE: Carrying 3 or 4 Bikes - Best/Cheapest Option?

As a benchmark, hunt out thule rapid system 754 for the roofbars and footpack , probably around £140 for the basic system. On this you add the thule freeride 532 bike racks at around £45 a piece. This set up would see you pretty much sorted. You can then chase around for deals. Halfords do their own thule bike rack copies and package them a lot cheaper in pairs.

You then fit 2 forward facing and 2 rearward. Should work. Oh, and add a set of steps if you're under 6 ft tall Smile

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
13-07-2014 03:41pm
jph

[Image: ra5u5ahu.jpg]
[Image: dyzy9ujy.jpg]

I was looking for a cheap option to carry a couple of bikes. Looked at lots of systems and they were all crap. In the end spend a bit more and got the Thule. Could not be happier! Highly recommended! I use my bike a couple of times a week now because it is so easy to fit and remove.
Cheers John
14-07-2014 08:49am
Barton Evoque

Had to go with the tow bar option myself £400 for the bar and and another £150 for the rack.i looked into a standard rack but nothing fitted without obstucking the spoiler also British law requires you to have a trailerboard if your lights are obstucked.
[Image: null_zps9bdaf1a0.jpg]
[Image: null_zpsaa26c674.jpg]

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
14-07-2014 03:36pm
NightFox

Thanks all - I do like the rear-mounted options, but for occasional use I couldn't really justify the cost of a tow bar, the electrics, the trailer board and then the rack itself.

So I started to price up ChuckieB's recommendation, and remembered I'd got a couple of old Thule cross bars and two Thule bike carriers gathering dust in the garage from about 10 years ago (used on my Discovery II) - which I think are going to be compatible, so now I just need to add the right Thule feet (second hand from eBay) and fixing kit plus a third cycle carrier, and I think I should be set for not much more than £100 all in

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror

(This post was last modified: 14-07-2014 04:08pm by NightFox.)
14-07-2014 04:06pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

You have a panoramic roof, would suggest that you are very careful putting bikes on the roof and even more careful adding a roofrack not originally intended for an Evoque.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-07-2014 05:47am
jph

Hey Neil, how tall are you?
I dont think i could lift a bike onto the roof of my evoque.
15-07-2014 07:07am
NightFox

(15-07-2014 05:47am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  You have a panoramic roof, would suggest that you are very careful putting bikes on the roof and even more careful adding a roofrack not originally intended for an Evoque.

Yeah I hear you there Tim, this was already a concern though having read up on previous threads here and on other forums, coupled with the only occasional planned use over short distances with good roads I'm going to take my chances - I've not heard of anyone actually saying they've suffered glass roof damage with Thule feet/bars fitted.

(15-07-2014 07:07am)jph Wrote:  Hey Neil, how tall are you?
I dont think i could lift a bike onto the roof of my evoque.

Just a tad under 6' - so hoping I can get one of the kids' bikes in the middle to ease the handling!

15-07-2014 10:03am