Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Car makers sued over HDD storage...
RacingSnake

Car makers sued over HDD storage...

A group representing musicians in the US is suing Ford and General Motors over in-car CD players that allow tracks to be stored on a hard drive.

The entertainment systems can "rip" music from a disc, to save passengers from constantly re-inserting CDs.

The Alliance of Artists and Recording Companies claims the devices are made "for the express purpose" of copying CDs.

The AARC is also suing automotive technology company Denso and Clarion, which develops the in-car entertainment systems.

It says other manufacturers of similar devices have complied and are paying royalties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28547853

I'm sure we'll hit a point in time (if we are not there already) where more money is made from suing each other than actually earning it.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
30-07-2014 01:38pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Car makers sued over HDD storage...

The Music industry needs to get out of the dark ages, If I buy music, I should buy the rights to listen to the music on any of my personal devices, whether it's ripped or downloaded, copied or off a CD itself is irrelevant. The act of ripping the CD should be irrelevant, if you then broadcast it, or rip someone-else's CD and listen to it without buying the music then the area becomes a bit more legally grey.

Yep all fodder for the lawyers...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
30-07-2014 02:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The musicians et al would complain even more if we stopped buying all forms of recorded music and only listened to the radio or watched TV............... Even better let's make December a worldwide no buying any form of recorded music month and then let us hear them scream!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-07-2014 03:48pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-07-2014 03:46pm
Redrob

But that would mean we couldn't buy Cliff's new Xmas single!

MY13 Dynamic coupe Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY14 Dynamic 5 door Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY15 Dynamic Lux Fuji White Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc.
30-07-2014 05:37pm
ceebee

Re: Car makers sued over HDD storage...

.....and the latest "X-Factor" offering....

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
30-07-2014 10:44pm
markdartj

This week's issue of "TIME" has a good story on the music industry, and how so much of it is obtainable for free. It talks about U-2 giving away their latest album on iTunes (I'm pretty sure Apple paid them amply) in order to bring back the focus on the music itself, not the money, legalities, etc. It seems like a going after the car makers is like James May polishing a scratch on his bumper when his whole car is a wreck (yes, I'm a TG geek). Probably going after deep pockets. Although I'm not a legal expert, it seems that there is such a preponderance of free access to music out there, that any losses due to those who have legally purchased a CD and recording them in their cars would make this lawsuit appear frivolous. Years ago I loaded my whole CD collection into iTunes and sold the lot. Is the music industry going to go after Apple next? Anyways, does anyone still buy CDs?

2014 Fuji White Pure PremiumWink
(This post was last modified: 21-09-2014 10:10am by markdartj.)
21-09-2014 10:04am