Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CD Player
Richard-writes

CD Player

I have an Evoque SE Tech on order due to be delivered at the end of September. I'm told this will not have a CD player and that instead I should use a Memory Stick. Somehow this seems a poor solution for two reasons:
1. I have to copy CDs to my computer and convert the tracks to MP3 - tedious & time consuming.
2. Because MP3 format compacts tracks by stripping audio detail surely this will mean the Meridian sound system will not be as good.
Question? Is it possible to install a CD player? Retrofit a RR radio/CD or add a stand alone CD player?
No, I don't have an iTunes account in case you ask.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  Me-avatar.jpg (Size: 19.02 KB / Downloads: 91)

Confused
22-08-2016 07:31pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yosser395

RE: CD Player

(22-08-2016 07:31pm)Richard-writes Wrote:  I have an Evoque SE Tech on order due to be delivered at the end of September. I'm told this will not have a CD player and that instead I should use a Memory Stick. Somehow this seems a poor solution for two reasons:
1. I have to copy CDs to my computer and convert the tracks to MP3 - tedious & time consuming.
2. Because MP3 format compacts tracks by stripping audio detail surely this will mean the Meridian sound system will not be as good.
Question? Is it possible to install a CD player? Retrofit a RR radio/CD or add a stand alone CD player?
No, I don't have an iTunes account in case you ask.

Have you upgraded to a Meridian system or have you just gone with the standard SE Tech system?
22-08-2016 09:11pm
Richard-writes

(22-08-2016 09:11pm)yosser395 Wrote:  Have you upgraded to a Meridian system or have you just gone with the standard SE Tech system?
Yes, I've gone with the standard SE Tech specification - hence the query to discover if there are any work arounds or retro fit options.

Confused
22-08-2016 11:49pm
Pete

The standard audio isn't really considered to be of audiophile quality (you might well see some replies here describing how bad it is). In reality, however, it's most probably perfectly adequate for the vast majority of drivers.

MP3s won't sound bad at all and you really won't notice the difference (especially with engine/road/wind noise) unless you really ramp up the volume, at which point the speakers/amp will show their limitations.

Don't forget that when you rip your CDs you have control over the bit rate. As long as you choose the highest that the car's system can handle, it'll be fine.

Alternatively, get yourself a cheap iPod Nano off eBay and load it up with some ripped music and use the iPod interface (you can add your own CDs to your iTunes music library).

Porsche Macan
23-08-2016 07:59am
PhilSkill

I use USB for everything, never used my CD player other than to prove it works, Just RIP everything to a high bit rate (256 or 320kbs) and I use WMA over MP3 generally, I have the 380W Meridian and it sounds great.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 23-08-2016 08:50am by PhilSkill.)
23-08-2016 08:49am
Pete

Same as Phil. I use a really tiny USB stick so that there's no chance of it being dislodged or breaking when I put things in the cubby.

Something like this one.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/ultra-fit-usb

Porsche Macan
23-08-2016 08:57am
Richard-writes

Thanks Pete, thanks Phil. Much appreciate your advice. I'm going deaf anyway....at least that's what my wife tells me!!

Confused
23-08-2016 11:10am
yosser395

My previous Evoque was a pure tech and came with the entry level meridian system complete with CD player and the system sounded great. I recently replaced the car with an SE tech which now has landrovers entry level sound system minus the CD player and a couple of front door speakers, can't say I miss the CD as I use a memory stick however the sound quality is not a patch on the meridian system. Had I have known this I would have upgraded. Dont be put off by this though as its a great car and I'm sure you will enjoy it
23-08-2016 09:51pm