Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SD4 Prestige - 1 month in and 2,500 miles
Straydox

SD4 Prestige - 1 month in and 2,500 miles

So I have had the Evoque for a month and 2,500 miles the initial excitement of a new car has worn off - do I still like it?

The answer is a resounding Yes! It's great to drive and like many others have noted it always makes me smile when I see it. It remains a supremely comfortable vehicle - I have has several 300 mile trips, no aches or pains at all - or fatigue either as the seats are simply excellent. The fuel economy still continues to improve with the TripA computed fuel consumption being uncannily accurate to the true MPG - and currently sits in a band of 39 to 41.

Engine performance is also improving - the engine was noticeably 'tight' for the first thousand or so miles - in fact I even wondered if the engine management map was backed-off/restrained because for the first 1000 miles there was almost a hesitation/stutter 50mph in 6th that has now completely disappeared. Considering the bulk of the vehicle it is more that acceptably quick - with simply sublime handling (more 'chuckable' than my previous A5 Cabrio) with a really flat cornering - it's genuinely fun to drive quickly. I have had a couple of Audi diesels remapped and I am tempted to get the Evoque done because I know from past experience that it makes the engine 'crisper' and sharper to drive - I've got it for 3 years so I'll see how the engine matures as the miles go on.

Ride quality - when brand new the ride was fairly firm as the suspension bedded in and I suspect that dampers eased up a little so the ride quality has become noticeably more compliant. Sure it isn't limo smooth - its an off-road capable vehicle without the benefit of AD so never will be super soft but it is very easy to live with.

My initial grudging thoughts for the Satnav are actually softening into respect - it might not look as good as some but it is actually surprisingly capable - and the TMC notification that flashes up the extent of your route that is affected by a holdup is excellent and works really, really well.

USB music is by and large reliable - a couple of times it has flashed up a 'File & Folder not found message' but carried on playing anyway - the source is a 60GB Solid State Disk (SSD) in a caddy with a dual USB power feed. All MP3 ripped at 192kbps and a few DivX music videos. I suspect that there is a glitch in the Evoque's music indexing software but the SSD is so fast it resolves the issue before hitting a time-out and crashing.

The audio quality is excellent - beyond critique for a car system IMHO. I know the sub is bolted to the floor under the driver's seat - it has enough raw grunt to be able to make the floor pan resonate and you can feel it through your heels. The DAB and FM radio reception are both excellent with no problems as reported elsewhere.

Driving an Evoque at night is a visual treat - the interior lighting is excellent especially with the LED interior light upgrade done it feels like a properly special place to be. Externally the Xenon lights are simply superb and don't seem to dazzle/annoy other drivers like the Audi ones did either - the rear lights look rather exotic at night.Smile

So if you are still waiting for your car (as I did for 6+ months) and wondering if it would really be worth the wait when alternatives can be had sooner/for less....hang in there, it's worth the wait and now a fully sorted production vehicle.

As a footnote - I drive a lot of miles, probably around 20,000 a year and have been doing that for nigh on 25 years now and because of that don't get behind the wheel for fun just to go out for a spin......a couple of weeks ago I did exactly that, late at night and just drove a few miles for pleasure, the Evoque really is that special. Nuff saidVery Happy

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
(This post was last modified: 14-06-2012 02:29pm by Straydox.)
14-06-2012 02:26pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big G

RE: SD4 Prestige - 1 month in and 2,500 miles

(14-06-2012 02:26pm)Straydox Wrote:  So I have had the Evoque for a month and 2,500 miles the initial excitement of a new car has worn off - do I still like it?

The answer is a resounding Yes! It's great to drive and like many others have noted it always makes me smile when I see it. It remains a supremely comfortable vehicle - I have has several 300 mile trips, no aches or pains at all - or fatigue either as the seats are simply excellent. The fuel economy still continues to improve with the TripA computed fuel consumption being uncannily accurate to the true MPG - and currently sits in a band of 39 to 41.

Engine performance is also improving - the engine was noticeably 'tight' for the first thousand or so miles - in fact I even wondered if the engine management map was backed-off/restrained because for the first 1000 miles there was almost a hesitation/stutter 50mph in 6th that has now completely disappeared. Considering the bulk of the vehicle it is more that acceptably quick - with simply sublime handling (more 'chuckable' than my previous A5 Cabrio) with a really flat cornering - it's genuinely fun to drive quickly. I have had a couple of Audi diesels remapped and I am tempted to get the Evoque done because I know from past experience that it makes the engine 'crisper' and sharper to drive - I've got it for 3 years so I'll see how the engine matures as the miles go on.

Ride quality - when brand new the ride was fairly firm as the suspension bedded in and I suspect that dampers eased up a little so the ride quality has become noticeably more compliant. Sure it isn't limo smooth - its an off-road capable vehicle without the benefit of AD so never will be super soft but it is very easy to live with.

My initial grudging thoughts for the Satnav are actually softening into respect - it might not look as good as some but it is actually surprisingly capable - and the TMC notification that flashes up the extent of your route that is affected by a holdup is excellent and works really, really well.

USB music is by and large reliable - a couple of times it has flashed up a 'File & Folder not found message' but carried on playing anyway - the source is a 60GB Solid State Disk (SSD) in a caddy with a dual USB power feed. All MP3 ripped at 192kbps and a few DivX music videos. I suspect that there is a glitch in the Evoque's music indexing software but the SSD is so fast it resolves the issue before hitting a time-out and crashing.

The audio quality is excellent - beyond critique for a car system IMHO. I know the sub is bolted to the floor under the driver's seat - it has enough raw grunt to be able to make the floor pan resonate and you can feel it through your heels. The DAB and FM radio reception are both excellent with no problems as reported elsewhere.

Driving an Evoque at night is a visual treat - the interior lighting is excellent especially with the LED interior light upgrade done it feels like a properly special place to be. Externally the Xenon lights are simply superb and don't seem to dazzle/annoy other drivers like the Audi ones did either - the rear lights look rather exotic at night.Smile

So if you are still waiting for your car (as I did for 6+ months) and wondering if it would really be worth the wait when alternatives can be had sooner/for less....hang in there, it's worth the wait and now a fully sorted production vehicle.

As a footnote - I drive a lot of miles, probably around 20,000 a year and have been doing that for nigh on 25 years now and because of that don't get behind the wheel for fun just to go out for a spin......a couple of weeks ago I did exactly that, late at night and just drove a few miles for pleasure, the Evoque really is that special. Nuff saidVery Happy

+1 agree with all you say. The Adaptive Dynamics are great too.Thumbs Up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
14-06-2012 02:41pm
Vc

Glad you're loving it Straydox, down to my final 6 wks or so of the wait Smile

COLLECTED 20th July Very Happy
Ordered 4th April, built 6th July
Pure SD4 auto, Mauritius Blue fogs, signatures, tailgate, power fold mirrors, electric drivers seat,
cirrus/lunar, auto dim mirror, mats.
14-06-2012 06:45pm
QUEEVO

Thanks Straydox... A great read and I look forward to being able to report similar... I also have an SSD ready to go. I think/hope I have about four weeks left, awaiting arrival so thanks for the encouragement!

regards,
Queevo
----------------------------------------------------------------------
MY12 TD4 Prestige Auto, Baltic Blue / Vibe, Tech, Surround Cameras, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass
14-06-2012 11:20pm
EvoqueNorCal

Great write-up!
25-06-2012 06:04am
brinv8

What a nice honest write up, well done Straydox.

Plus being in the almost same position - But with a Pure Tech, 1 month in, and with 1,800 miles, I absolutely agree with all your comments and feelings, even the MPG is remarkably similar.

Not used the music system to it's full capacity as my MP3 player is by modern day standards, stone age, so off out to buy a new Ipod of some description.

Again like you I manage more than the average miles per year, and the other evening the other half and I just went out for a drive. We ended up going to Hastings and the coast road all the way to Brighton. All in the wind and rain, but was a absolute joy to drive, and did not get home till the early hours.

SD4 - Pure, Orkney Grey with Tech and Style Packs, Privy Glass, F&R Mud Flaps, Towing Hitch, Spare Wheel and a few bits more.
28-06-2012 10:00am
Daigriff

Great write up Straydox mine has lost it's hesitancy as well.

I love it when my daughters need to go somewhere and my wife offers to take them in her mini but they always kick up a fuss and insist on going in the Evoque. Then it's a fight as to who will drive itSmile

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
28-06-2012 11:15am