Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brake problems from new, solicitor now involved
bruiserbill

Brake problems from new, solicitor now involved

Hi, to be brief but vague

Daughter bought a new Evoque, about 20 months ago now. went back to dealership and even Land Rover were involved. Brakes make a horrendous howl in wet or cold weather, even when not applied, ie crawling away from standstill in forward or reverse. Argued for 1st winter, then better in summer but now as bad as before.

Loads of video with sound but dealership, (car been back in 6 times) are washing their hands of it, ita a "characteristic of the car Madam).

My arse. If it was a characteristic they advertise it as I pointed out to them.

Now in hands of our solicitor.

People on the pavement stop and say "you need to get that sorted luv". Problem is they deny any issue. All visits back in are logged, searching out a vehicle inspection engineer at present as advised by legal folks, but am just looking for some insider info as I understand this is a fairly common issue with 2015 Evoque models?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
19-12-2016 07:55pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Brake problems from new, solicitor now involved

A few people say they get a bit of a squeak when cold and some have had a little trouble with noise, but they should not squeak when not applied... if they do something is touching when it shouldn't be.

Only time I had noise like this this was after 4 years and low mileage they were bound up with dirt and corrosion, a quick dismantle and clean sorted that out for me.

Have you been out on a Test Drive with the Dealers Mechanic? I had to insist on this when my steering came loose on a Mazda, they kept fobbing me off with "we've greased a spigot" etc, till I got the mechanic to stick his head in the wheel arch while I jigged the steering left and right and pointed out the huge clunking noise... Rolling Eyes

My real lesson from that experience was... go to another dealer.

I've changed my own brakes and there's nothing trick or clever, just bog standard Ford brakes. Get it up on the ramps and get someone to inspect if they are binding (rubbing) when turned by hand, should be easy to tell, and any brake centre should be able to show you.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-12-2016 10:06pm
bruiserbill

(19-12-2016 10:06pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  A few people say they get a bit of a squeak when cold and some have had a little trouble with noise, but they should not squeak when not applied... if they do something is touching when it shouldn't be.

Only time I had noise like this this was after 4 years and low mileage they were bound up with dirt and corrosion, a quick dismantle and clean sorted that out for me.

Have you been out on a Test Drive with the Dealers Mechanic? I had to insist on this when my steering came loose on a Mazda, they kept fobbing me off with "we've greased a spigot" etc, till I got the mechanic to stick his head in the wheel arch while I jigged the steering left and right and pointed out the huge clunking noise... Rolling Eyes

My real lesson from that experience was... go to another dealer.

I've changed my own brakes and there's nothing trick or clever, just bog standard Ford brakes. Get it up on the ramps and get someone to inspect if they are binding (rubbing) when turned by hand, should be easy to tell, and any brake centre should be able to show you.

Hi, I'm now retired and having never taken a car to a garage and having built 3 kit cars I do know my way around them and have advised re dealing with the supplier/techs. They have test driven it, they have been to their home, they have fitted new brake pads, calipers etc to no avail. This was all within 6 months from new. It's a horrendous howling noise at walking speeds.

Given my knowledge I'd say for some reason the piston seals are failing to retract when the brakes are off, or possibly some residual effort from the servo or abs is reducing brake to pad clearance. What should happen in all piston type braking system is that there is a small amount of return of piston caused by the pull of the rubber seals once brake pressure is removed.

It went on all last winter wasn't apparent during warm weather hence the reason it wasn't pressed further earlier on in ownership. It's now back with a vengeance.

I have some short video clips with sound but doubt if the forum would reproduce them.

As you can guess if this is an issue others have had, (I'm told it is), then it's more ammunition for the legal folks, hence my question here.
20-12-2016 09:07am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It isn't the parking brake that is causing the problem is it? There have been reports of that slightly binding.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
20-12-2016 10:26am
window

Same problem. Been in once - deglazed pads grease cylinders etc. No difference. Booked in second time. Garage said they had received a bulletin from Land Rover about the problem. They have ordered new disks and pads. Awaiting their arrival.

Evoque HSE Dynamic Firenze Red
20-12-2016 10:28am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Window, you wouldn't know what the TSB No is would you?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
20-12-2016 10:40am
PhilSkill

Does sound like there is either residual pressure in the system that shouldn't be there or the EPB is sticking, although don't know why that would be worse in Winter, but would have thought the dealers would have changed the ABS unit or something along those lines. Did they change the EPB motors on the rear calipers? maybe they carried these onto the new calipers.

As you know you're way around, I guess you've had a look yourself, can you tell which brake(s) are binding?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
20-12-2016 12:34pm
CRC@LandRover

(19-12-2016 07:55pm)bruiserbill Wrote:  Hi, to be brief but vague

Daughter bought a new Evoque, about 20 months ago now. went back to dealership and even Land Rover were involved. Brakes make a horrendous howl in wet or cold weather, even when not applied, ie crawling away from standstill in forward or reverse. Argued for 1st winter, then better in summer but now as bad as before.

Loads of video with sound but dealership, (car been back in 6 times) are washing their hands of it, ita a "characteristic of the car Madam).

My arse. If it was a characteristic they advertise it as I pointed out to them.

Now in hands of our solicitor.

People on the pavement stop and say "you need to get that sorted luv". Problem is they deny any issue. All visits back in are logged, searching out a vehicle inspection engineer at present as advised by legal folks, but am just looking for some insider info as I understand this is a fairly common issue with 2015 Evoque models?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Good afternoon Bruiserbill,

Thank you for your post.

Should you still be experiencing any concerns, please do not hesitate to PM me where I will be more than happy to look into this for you.

Many thanks,
Amellia

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
19-01-2017 04:08pm
window

I have had squeaky brake problems since before November 2016. This week the rear disks and pads have been replaced. OK so far but it has not yet rained. Will have to wait and see!

I have lost all faith with the Evoque and JLR.

In addition to the brakes problem I have had/are having numerous other ones. I cannot come to an amicable agreement with JLR via their dealer. JLR want me to just grin and bare owning a vehicle that is not of satisfactory quality, is not fit for purpose nor is as described. What else can I do!!! See Youtube entry below

https://youtu.be/12t8gDEASGI

Evoque HSE Dynamic Firenze Red
09-03-2017 05:40pm