Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brake Discs (squeal)
Sarcastrix

Brake Discs (squeal)

Had the four year service carried out yesterday, car has only covered 38k km/ 23k miles but the brakes have been squeaking since before christmas so I assumed the pads needed changing. It started on the pax side, later the drivers side and now one of the rears has joined the chorus - a non-stop squealfest Twisted Evil

Anyhow, turns out the pads are fine it's the discs, workshop has said they need skimming - I wasn't expecting that and haven't heard of anyone doing that for years on modern cars. Properly be cheaper to buy new discs then getting the skimmed here in Sweden considering the service cost the equivalent of £590 Shocked

Tyres are down to 4mm all around so they can wait for a another year.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
18-08-2016 07:57am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wheels

RE: Brake Discs (squeal)

A friend of mine does it for 30% , from buying new ones. But then they have to be off the car and cleaned
18-08-2016 10:31am
bee

(18-08-2016 10:31am)wheels Wrote:  A friend of mine does it for 30% , from buying new ones. But then they have to be off the car and cleaned

i would personally fit new discs. Smile

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
18-08-2016 05:04pm
PhilSkill

Yeah stick new on, not worth the hassle, it's a dead easy job, did my rear pads and discs last week with Brembo OEM parts, time you've got old off it's 2 secs to put new on. they only have 2mm wear tolerance anyway, 23000 miles and a skim there wont be a lot left anyway.

If they are squealing while going along not braking, you might just need to clean and lube the pads and slider springs, mine did this last Christmas as I wasn't using it much, and that sorted it.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
18-08-2016 09:21pm
jwsturner

My old mazda had the discs skimmed several times. They have a special machine. They don't have to take the discs off, they do them in situe.
29-08-2016 10:06am