Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Bonnet Vents
speary

RE: Bonnet Vents

(17-09-2013 06:03pm)cjfp Wrote:  Close - they are there to let in the rain to put out the fire when the diesel spill rail leaks and we have external combustion ! Smile

No no no that's the one on the passenger sideSurprised
So we have
Drivers side the belt screech vent and on the passenger side the diesel fire damper vent

Great forward thinking by the design guys
Perhaps that why the coupe is £1000 more expensive..I knew there had to be a reasonRolling Eyes

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
18-09-2013 08:28am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
m_101

So I managed to get a set of black vents from mclib42 and was a bit apprehensive about fitting them, had thought about selling them on and getting some aftermarket fakeys, needn't have worried though!
I actually managed it reasonably well I think. I used 3M VHB tape which gives a bloody strong bond to the bonnet, don't think there's any way I'll be getting those off anytime soon.
I snapped off the clips and then filed them down, then there's an area of thicker mesh which I had to sand down to be completely flat. I sanded around the edges slightly to roughen them up a bit for the tape, too. Cut and applied the tape both to the insides around the mesh area, and to the outside edges. Then I actually left them on a radiator for a while and bent the vents slightly, which made them contour a bit better over the curved bonnet.
There is a slight gap so the vents don't fit completely flush, but it's the same gap all round and it's less than 1mm so I'm not too bothered.
I didn't end up putting anything under the vents as bought this flyeyeskit stuff at the suggestion of cutter7, but didn't like it when I trialled it. I actually used the flyeyes vinyl mesh to make a couple of small templates so that the vents followed the edges of the bonnet creases and were the right distance from the rear edge of the bonnet.
From a little distance away you'd never know they weren't meant to be on the car, and I definitely like the fact that the OEM ones have the range rover recessed into them as a part of the design.
Will post up photos soon.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
27-11-2013 12:33am
mllcb42

(27-11-2013 12:33am)m_101 Wrote:  So I managed to get a set of black vents from mclib42 and was a bit apprehensive about fitting them, had thought about selling them on and getting some aftermarket fakeys, needn't have worried though!
I actually managed it reasonably well I think. I used 3M VHB tape which gives a bloody strong bond to the bonnet, don't think there's any way I'll be getting those off anytime soon.
I snapped off the clips and then filed them down, then there's an area of thicker mesh which I had to sand down to be completely flat. I sanded around the edges slightly to roughen them up a bit for the tape, too. Cut and applied the tape both to the insides around the mesh area, and to the outside edges. Then I actually left them on a radiator for a while and bent the vents slightly, which made them contour a bit better over the curved bonnet.
There is a slight gap so the vents don't fit completely flush, but it's the same gap all round and it's less than 1mm so I'm not too bothered.
I didn't end up putting anything under the vents as bought this flyeyeskit stuff at the suggestion of cutter7, but didn't like it when I trialled it. I actually used the flyeyes vinyl mesh to make a couple of small templates so that the vents followed the edges of the bonnet creases and were the right distance from the rear edge of the bonnet.
From a little distance away you'd never know they weren't meant to be on the car, and I definitely like the fact that the OEM ones have the range rover recessed into them as a part of the design.
Will post up photos soon.
Thumbs Up
27-11-2013 01:09am
m_101

So here are a few photos - including all the tape I trimmed and put on the things. Given how strong that tape appears, I think they're on there pretty much permanently! Sorry about the lighting by the way, taken on camera phone in the dark! But you get the idea.
By the way just noticed the tape looks like it has a few gaps - I left them there to allow water to drain away easily. One at the back for when going on the motorway and two at the front for when sitting still. It rains a LOT here in Glasgow!
Had a quick look back on here and some people appear to have put them on straight whereas some appear to have put them on following the lines of the bonnet creases. I think the coupe seems to have them following the lines of the bonnet crease, correct?
[Image: 65fe0b291433502.jpg]
Left Vent
[Image: cf7dce291433520.jpg]
Gap under vent
[Image: 5d8d74291433539.jpg]
From the front
[Image: 133b14291433550.jpg]
[Image: ee4a66291433571.jpg]
Two of the right vent
[Image: eabab0291433604.jpg]
and all that tape!

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
(This post was last modified: 27-11-2013 10:42pm by m_101.)
27-11-2013 10:35pm
ikejr

Bonnet Vents

Looks awesome!!!!

Cant wait to get mine.
27-11-2013 11:06pm
BFGEvoqueMan

Your avatar appears to be out of date LaughingLaughingLaughing

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
28-11-2013 07:38am
m_101

Laughing
yeah I'm not paying another hundred quid to get the car protection done in midwinter though when it was done in summer and meant to last over the winter!

When I've looked today, I've wondered if I could have just used the tape in the middle (next to the grille bit) and not had to tape around the outside. That might have allowed the vents to be more flush to the bonnet, but I don't think the actual hold would have been as good. If it starts coming unstuck due to the bend in the bonnet (unlikely, given how good the hold appears at the moment) I might try that next.

(This post was last modified: 28-11-2013 09:17pm by m_101.)
28-11-2013 09:15pm
Marcpitch

(17-09-2013 03:18pm)Shenley Wrote:  Used a tape measure..... in the rain.

Top bit at the centre of the range rover logo:-

[Image: DSC00451_zps6ee7b96c.jpg]

Towards the windscreen wiper (RHD drivers side) - tape measure is along the inner section of the vent:-

[Image: DSC00452_zps83eb1868.jpg]

[Image: DSC00453_zps9421c66e.jpg]

Hope this helps.... its raining harder now!

I just joined and am glad to be part of this forum. I have a black on black Evoque Pure and am about to install dummy bonnet vents. While the pictures with measurements are helpful, I still wanted to confirm what I seem to be seeing. Am I seeing about 3.5mm from the vent edge to the bonnet ridge and 15mm from the bonnet edge near the wiper to the vent edge....measuring perpendicular to the slanted edge of the vent?

I know this is getting exact...but the local dealer is 20 miles away, and I would prefer not to have to go there to measure a coupe myself. Thanks to anybody who can help. It seems the cheapest dummy vents come with a template while the Hawke ones do not.
04-12-2013 04:23am
Rein

If you use cm instead of mm, then you are right

Blacked-out Evoque Cool

Santorini black, 5dr, dynamic, SD4 auto
Mods: My Evoque Topic
04-12-2013 08:38am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Marcpitch

WANTED: Template to Install Dummy Bonnet Vents

I know that Powerful UK sells dummy vents that come with a template for proper placement on the bonnet-hood. Ironically, these cheaper vents come with a template, while the more expensive Hawke ones do not. I bought the latter and badly want the fitting template.

I contacted Powerful UK and they will not sell me the template alone. Would any of you be interested in selling me the template for a reasonable price? I know I could try and measure, but the template seems like a much easier and exact way to install these.

Thank you!
16-12-2013 03:06pm