Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bogged...any sand driving tips?
rredrive

Hi All,

Tried the evoque in on a beach north of Stockton today. No problem until...Stupidly stopped on a soft patch of sand to fidget with my phone...could not get going again...bogged severely :(on sand mode. 4 wheels spinning in the air with sand underneath the chassis. Thankfully a pajero driver was kind enough to give me a tow out. He lent me a screwdriver and after ten minutes of digging I removed the front fascia and found the tow hook. (tip: always carry a screwdriver with you if you have the dynamic model so you can access the tow hook)

Once recovered, I charged through the soft sand to get back to bitumen safely. If I had stopped charging, the evoque probably would have bogged down again. pajero owner says the evoque 20 inch street tires probably aren't very good for the sand.

I have run these 20inch tires on the harder sand of Kurnell without problems.

When I used to own a toyota 4runner with large 10r15 wheels, reducing pressure to 15psi had no problem on soft sand or going up dunes without having to charge. The 20inch tires don't seem to float well enough in soft sand to perform safely in my hands, and I would be afraid of trying to recover another bogged vehicle.

Does anyone have any tips on getting an evoque to float well on soft sand? would it float better with another rim size/tire combination? I don't really care how the tire looks if I am going offroad as long as it works.
tips???
05-08-2012 01:37pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadt Panzer

Top tip: If the sand is soft or wet change into mud ruts mode.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
05-08-2012 05:37pm
RacingSnake

RE: Bogged...any sand driving tips?

As above ( which it does say in the manual).
Also disable the dsc... Which is what the manual also says for driving in particularly soft sand Smile (page 94)

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
05-08-2012 11:09pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rredrive

(05-08-2012 05:37pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  Top tip: If the sand is soft or wet change into mud ruts mode.

Many thanks for the tips to everyone. I will try next time mud and ruts when the car starts bogging in the sand.

I am researching off road tyres for offroad days. Perhaps 17inch wheels. Can someone confirm that 17inch is the smallest wheel size suitable for the evoque dynamic? Would assume from the literature that 16 inches would not be possible on an evoque?
06-08-2012 05:31am
Stadt Panzer

I've been told that 18" is minimum req'd for a car with AD.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
06-08-2012 07:06am
cousin.it

I noticed a while back that there is a sand driving accessory kit VPLVP0117. Does anybody know what that's for? The instructions look like it might just be to help seal up areas to help keep down throwing sand in some places, but as usual the instructions aren't that good. Whatever they're doing in the front wheel wells is hard to understand in those pictures.
06-08-2012 07:09am
QUEEVO

are you the only Evoque in Newcastle...?

regards,
Queevo
----------------------------------------------------------------------
MY12 TD4 Prestige Auto, Baltic Blue / Vibe, Tech, Surround Cameras, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass
06-08-2012 07:16am
rredrive

(06-08-2012 07:06am)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  I've been told that 18" is minimum req'd for a car with AD.

Thanks, will check this with Landrover tomorrow. I really hope AD allows at least 17inch though
(06-08-2012 07:16am)QUEEVO Wrote:  are you the only Evoque in Newcastle...?

I used to live in Newcastle but am now part of the big smoke.
Did not see other evoques up there. There is a dealership there.
(06-08-2012 07:09am)cousin.it Wrote:  I noticed a while back that there is a sand driving accessory kit VPLVP0117. Does anybody know what that's for? The instructions look like it might just be to help seal up areas to help keep down throwing sand in some places, but as usual the instructions aren't that good. Whatever they're doing in the front wheel wells is hard to understand in those pictures.

Interesting. Does this help to reduce the chance of bogging down?
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2012 10:30am by rredrive.)
06-08-2012 10:28am
bob_a_tron

(06-08-2012 07:16am)QUEEVO Wrote:  are you the only Evoque in Newcastle...?

definitely not, there are plenty getting around

Pure Sd4 fuji - almond interior, tech pack, clearview pack, Nav, rev camera, contrast pano roof, PCD, style 6's, tailgate, park assist, memory seats/mirrors, tv. ordered 5/5/12.
07-08-2012 10:53am
Biker

20" in my opinion is not meant to be used off road. Even deflating to the required psi, the physical properties of the tyre compared to a 17" with a much higher side wall is going to perform very different in similar circumstances.

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
11-08-2012 11:10am