Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Body protection
mark_n

RE: Body protection

As part of the body shell manufacturing process, ribbed copper studs are welded onto the body shell before it is painted. Items are then attached to the bodyshell by pressing plastic nuts - which are not actually threaded - onto the studs.

It sounds like two of the studs have been torn off the bottom of the floor plan and I do not know what the correct repair procedure is. Don't, whatever you do, drill holes for self-tapping screws which will open the door to corrosion.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
12-01-2012 07:48am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rootsboy

thanks for that information mark! it looks like that part my well have to be a dealer job then.
my car will have to go in soon for some warranty work on the spoiler and seat, i wonder if i can get a favor out of them while they are doing the other work?

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
12-01-2012 01:31pm
bell-auto-services

It may be worth having a word with a loca body shop to see if thet have a stud welder, you may find one that has one and they could use simlar studs to this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Stud-We...4aa5c26cbf

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
12-01-2012 01:36pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rootsboy

thanks for all the information guys, will pass on to my mechanic tomorrow.

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
12-01-2012 11:28pm
Rootsboy

in the end i managed to get the part for about 16 euros which seemed quite good, as the car has to go and have some warranty work done on it, im getting them to re-weld the studs the the underside at the same time.
am sure i will have to pay through the nose for that, the dealer had already said it wont be much work maybe 1 or 2 hours. even the 2 hour part seems excessive to me.

Pete! i have one quick question for you. out if interest, how much work is it to take out, and replace the leather dash topping?

there is what looks like a fault with mine, when i was in the dealers the other day, the official from land rover spain told my dealer that this could not be changed as its impossible to get to? does not sound right to me, but i could be wrong.

17-02-2012 11:53am