Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Painting black plastic trim in body colour on a Prestige Evoque
muff

Pics will follow later in the week. The black bumpers and sills are being painted white and the grey insets in front and back bumpers are being done in santorini black as is the front grill and side vents. Windows being tinted as well. The logo on the front grill is black by the way
11-11-2012 08:29pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vustadumas

RE: Painting black plastic trim in body colour on a Prestige Evoque

I went to a body shop that was recommended by my local LR dealer. I wanted all the gray plastic parts on my Pure Premium, painted gloss black like the Dynamic. Body shop said the paint would not stick to the parts, so they said they wouldn't paint it.

Has anyone actually had their grill and vents painted? I'm in SoCal area, if anyone has a recommendation, please PM me!

Thanks!
20-11-2012 09:24pm
doug

(20-11-2012 09:24pm)Vustadumas Wrote:  Body shop said the paint would not stick to the parts, so they said they wouldn't paint it.

Welcome Vustadumas,
Yes you can Smile. Many members including myself have had there grille & side vents sprayed gloss black without any problems.
Sounds like the body shop that you visited didn't won't the job. My have been scared by the RRE being such a new model & not knowing who to remove the trim parts.
Good luck in your hunt for a local body shop.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 20-11-2012 10:39pm by doug.)
20-11-2012 10:38pm
Vustadumas

(20-11-2012 10:38pm)doug Wrote:  Welcome Vustadumas,
Yes you can Smile. Many members including myself have had there grille & side vents sprayed gloss black without any problems.
Sounds like the body shop that you visited didn't won't the job. My have been scared by the RRE being such a new model & not knowing who to remove the trim parts.

Thanks for the welcome, Doug Smile Yeah, I figured it had been done, and successfully so! I'll hunt down someone that will do it. Very interested in seeing the pics of Muff's painted plastics.
21-11-2012 01:50am
muff

Just visited the body shop. It's weird seeing the car stripped naked of bumpers (fenders), door trims, skirts, grill, vents etc. All plastics being painted today and I collect the car Friday. I have pics of the car stripped. I'll post here later today and you can see the work involved in doing this right.

I have started a new thread with pictures of work in progress here:
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-project-c...6#pid75006
(This post was last modified: 21-11-2012 04:09pm by muff.)
21-11-2012 01:38pm
muff

(20-11-2012 10:38pm)doug Wrote:  Welcome Vustadumas,

Take a look at the pics I have posted in a separate thread. This highlights the scale of the task here. This will be why some body shops won't do it.
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-project-c...6#pid75006

Muff
(This post was last modified: 21-11-2012 04:12pm by muff.)
21-11-2012 04:11pm
Vustadumas

Definitely a lot of work, but I wouldn't see why the shop wouldn't want my money? lol They assured me, there was no way they could get paint to stick, and no one else could either. They said within 6 months to a year, I would be back, having to have it painted again.

Progress shots are pretty cool. Really looking forward to seeing her all put back together!
21-11-2012 08:22pm
WB
WB

(21-11-2012 08:22pm)Vustadumas Wrote:  Definitely a lot of work, but I wouldn't see why the shop wouldn't want my money? lol They assured me, there was no way they could get paint to stick, and no one else could either. They said within 6 months to a year, I would be back, having to have it painted again.

Progress shots are pretty cool. Really looking forward to seeing her all put back together!

They can't be a very good body shop if they don't know how to prep and paint plastics - after all how do they think the factory does it?
22-11-2012 11:06am
muff

Colour coding finished and I took delivery of the car today. Check out the finished project at the link above
Cheers
24-11-2012 07:13pm
funguf

(23-10-2012 11:23am)WB Wrote:  Hi, any chance you could post the part numbers for the sides if you have them handy? Have you bought the dynamic bumpers too or painting the current ones?

I can point you in the direction of a good bodyshop/detailer in London - I'll PM you.

Can you PM me too pls?

thank you

SD4 Pure Tech Manual, 5 Door, Fuji White with Black Contrast Roof, Black Grille/Vents/Mirror Caps, Pure Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Mud Flaps.
17-02-2014 07:49pm