Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bloody Battery... AGAIN....
Kojak

RE: Bloody Battery... AGAIN....

Not linking these two issues but just so you know Evoque owners are not alone.
My other half's Golf GT TDI developed battery issues noticeable within the 1st year and during a service the blame was put squarely at the short journey lengths to work/shops/school runs/dark nights with lights on etc (you know the ones....the ones we've all bought a car for and done for years without too much issue).
The golf is now 2 years old and the battery gave up despite additional long runs to try to get charge into it.
The 'very nice man' from the AA rang up VW on her behalf and gave a run down on the battery condition and they admitted a software fault in a sensor telling the alternator the battery was charged so it didn't bother. Too late for that battery but why didn't they tell us amongst the numerous enquiries we made about it? Only then did they replace the battery and do the update.

So Land Rover, VW ....doesn't seem to matter, they seem to do the bare minimum they can get away with. If you are stranded as a result, its unlikely they care very much. I say that with reservation, it may be luck of the draw to an extent because I have actually found my dealer service dept pretty good touch wood.

OUT - Pure SD4, Orkney Grey, 5 dr, Manual, Fogs, Xenons, Auto dim mirror, Auto lights / wipers, Power fold mirrors, spare wheel.
IN - Dynamic SD4, Indus Silver, 5 dr, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Auto Dim mirror, Spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 28-01-2014 06:51pm by Kojak.)
28-01-2014 06:50pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

I think what gets my goat the most, is the reluctance to investigate... They take it in, tell me everything is ok, then 2/3/4 months later I come out and it's randomly dead.
I fully appreciate that cars go wrong - but not when I've highlighted it 6 times now, and not once have I come out feeling comfortable with the 'resolution'.

My last new car I owned blew a turbo at 3000 miles, I had it replaced and never had another issue - that's kindof what I expected here... fix the issue and jobs'-a-goodun. but instead I have to go out of my way on average once every 3 months (so far) to investigate the same issue.

[end of rant]

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
28-01-2014 07:01pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Unfortunately the old idiom of "you get what you pay for" applies to the dealerships - they won't pay to train technicians properly - everything is "plug and play" so you get a half trained idiot in front of a computer screen telling you the car is OK because the computer says so.............. I heard something I haven't heard in years the other day, coming from a maritime pilot at one of the ports we call at - "captain, crews are now the same as computers - garbage in, garbage out! "

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-01-2014 03:06pm
RacingSnake

My issue here is that I'm being told the battery holds charge therefore is OK.

My concern is that the battery has been flattened so many times that the capacity will have been affected and it won't push out as many cranking amps as a new one should.
And on a big diesel lump it's going to take a fair amount of juice to turn over.

As I say my frustration is that every single time I've been told that the battery find but we've done (some) software updates... then 3 months later the same thing.

It's not like this car is a town runner either, I take it on an 40 mile commute twice a day Sad

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
29-01-2014 08:00pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

Car is now back with me... together with the immortal words "we tested the battery and its fine".

We'll see.

31-01-2014 06:44pm
vinny

Mine didn't start first week in January,just clicked like yours.LR assist came out and checked battery said it was fine and started it with a jump and told me to mention it at my 2nd service a week later.
Dealer tested it and said it was fine but charged it anyway.
All OK until today,wife phoned me she was stranded with it just clicking again,phoned LR assist who were too busy to attend so sent AA.Guy removed battery cover and got it right away-there was a burning/loose cable on the neg side of battery which was sparking away even as they watched,said he had came across this a few times before on evoques?
Wife said she smelt a hot smell in the car previously but thought it was the new brake pads or something to do with dpf.
Maybe a coincidence but worth checking,phoned dealer to book it in and suggested maybe they had left it slack but oh no not them we are the main dealer-would never happen Confused

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
31-01-2014 09:53pm
RacingSnake

First start since my last post.... "Gearbox Fault". Shocked

Unfortunately I'm off on business for the rest of this week, so this will have to wait. Crying

03-02-2014 05:58pm
ziggy stardust

I get the 'Gearbox Fault' on start up as well but not always, had it back twice now but I'm told the computer shows no fault codes, sofware flashed or updated then it's fine for a few days before returning.

It never does it if the engine is warm or used earlier in the day, only from cold start up but as I said above not always?

Z
28-02-2014 11:28am
RacingSnake

Mine showed it every single cold startup without exception Sad
The dealer gave me the same 'computer says no' as you've got, and that if I wanted a new battery I'd have to pay for it Shocked

So I escalated it to LRCS - since my previous post on the 3rd Feb, it's been back in, had a replacement battery (FOC - thanks Pete@LRCS!), and no more warnings.
Not only that, but I had to travel for work for 2 weeks, and started it a couple of days ago for the first time, started on the button again with no warnings.
So far so good Smile

28-02-2014 12:16pm
jbob

Bloody Battery... AGAIN....

Mine is doing the same Sad

Flat on my drive yesterday.

Battery was down to 5v but LR assist guy said battery was good and alternator was charging fine.

Hmmm

[Image: e7ahadyg.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 28-02-2014 01:23pm by jbob.)
28-02-2014 01:23pm