Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Blocked Fuel Filter After 6500 miles?
PigLauncher

Blocked Fuel Filter After 6500 miles?

To cut a long storey short the car cut out once on the motorway then having been given the all clear by LR Recovery again the next day. It would limp along at 27 mph on the second occasion.
The garage have replaced the fuel filter and warned against using diesel with more than 7% Bio fuel content. I had never heard of it. As far as I was concerned it's a 2.2 diesel so I fill it with............... errrr diesel. The majority of the time we fill up at Asda, research has proved they along with Shell and BP are adding large amounts to their diesel.

Check at the pump exactly what you are putting in !!!!!

Manual Dynamic, Firenze, Chrome Shadows, Santorini Pano,Verve,Ebony Headliner,Lux Pack, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons.TPMS. June the 20th.
22-11-2012 02:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J77

RE: Blocked Fuel Filter After 6500 miles?

More and more companies are blending there diesel. The Evoques engine can only handle a 7% blend. It's not something I have ever payed much attention too, will keep an eye open from now on.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
22-11-2012 02:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Legally fuel suppliers can cut diesel with up to 8% biodiesel IIRC. I would stop using supermarket diesel - it could also have been water contaminated fuel with all the rain we have had of late

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
22-11-2012 09:23pm
Jonathon555

The problem is the bio disel is very sticky compared to nomal disel and clogs stuff up.

But pretty much all suppliers are now using it , as the base stock fuel are pretty much all the same. It just different additive packs that are added at the loading arm from the supply depot that changes the blend

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
(This post was last modified: 23-11-2012 08:26am by Jonathon555.)
23-11-2012 08:25am
muff

(23-11-2012 08:25am)Jonathon555 Wrote:  The problem is the bio disel is very sticky compared to nomal disel and clogs stuff up.

But pretty much all suppliers are now using it , as the base stock fuel are pretty much all the same. It just different additive packs that are added at the loading arm from the supply depot that changes the blend

A friend of mine owns our village petrol station (he keeps this open as a service to our village as his main business is performance and prestige tyres). He tells me that supermarket fuel has a high bio mix and this is causing them problems with their pumps filters. So much so, he knows of some supermarket forecourts who have actually removed their pumps filters!!! Water and contaminates come to mind....
23-11-2012 04:15pm
PigLauncher

(23-11-2012 04:15pm)muff Wrote:  A friend of mine owns our village petrol station (he keeps this open as a service to our village as his main business is performance and prestige tyres). He tells me that supermarket fuel has a high bio mix and this is causing them problems with their pumps filters. So much so, he knows of some supermarket forecourts who have actually removed their pumps filters!!! Water and contaminates come to mind....

This sounds like a possibility. Even at higher than 7% rates I just can't see how it blocked the filter so quickly. No more supermarket fuel for me.

Manual Dynamic, Firenze, Chrome Shadows, Santorini Pano,Verve,Ebony Headliner,Lux Pack, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons.TPMS. June the 20th.
24-11-2012 09:11am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

How cold has it been down your way Piglauncher and is it possible your supermarket is still selling "summer" formulated diesel with no winter low temperature anti-waxing agent? Might also be worth asking if any other customers have reported problems too as between you you can get compensation for the resulting damage/ inconvenience

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-11-2012 10:16am
kkzt190

I got my second 'Performance Restricted' warning today and rather than call out the AA again I drove straight to the dealer.

The AA had reported "Code P0087 - Fuel Pressure Low" two weeks ago, "Don't worry, have reset the sensor, shouldn't be an issue".

The dealer has immediately homed in on poor quality fuel with high Bio content and I'm being charged for labour, parts etc for replacement.

The issue here is that I'm using the most popular brand here in Ireland (TOPAZ) and none of my colleagues with Jaguars, BMWs, Merc etc. who would use the same brand are having no such issues.

I'm wondering if there is something else at play here that's particular to the Evoque?

If you're interested I've just passed 15k Km so it's not like this is a vehicle with huge distance on the clock.

Firenze SD4 Dynamic (with AD) ordered Oct 2011, arrived Apr 2012
03-12-2012 08:05pm
J77

The Evoque should run fine on bio diesel blend so long as it doesn't exceed 7%. The bus company I work for recently had fuel stolen, what the fools who stole it don't realise is that it has a very high bio diesel blend, the buses engines have been specially adapted to cope with it. If it finds it's way into a normal engine it will be disastrous.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
03-12-2012 08:14pm
The Valeter

(03-12-2012 08:14pm)J77 Wrote:  The Evoque should run fine on bio diesel blend so long as it doesn't exceed 7%. The bus company I work for recently had fuel stolen, what the fools who stole it don't realise is that it has a very high bio diesel blend, the buses engines have been specially adapted to cope with it. If it finds it's way into a normal engine it will be disastrous.

Serves them right then! may be worth the bus company contacting local garages incase anyone goes in with severe issues!!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
03-12-2012 11:59pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply