Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Black Box in your Evoque
speary

RE: Black Box in your Evoque

I am pretty sure that the data logging feature has been part of car black boxes for a good few years and can be called upon in court cases.
Regarding the insurance companies that supply black box tracking, Auto Express recently found that most of them charge more than conventional insurance companies. I thought the idea of these was to make insurance more affordable for young drivers.

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
10-02-2014 03:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Jeroma -do you have the Homelink option fitted to your car? The remote control gate / garage door opener? As you don't have rain sensing wipers or auto-on headlights then that is the only thing I can think that box is for

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
10-02-2014 05:54pm
Jeroma

(10-02-2014 05:54pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Jeroma -do you have the Homelink option fitted to your car? The remote control gate / garage door opener? As you don't have rain sensing wipers or auto-on headlights then that is the only thing I can think that box is for
Tim, I did not opt for any xtra electronic things, just the Pure Tech Pack for the larger display and for the rear view camera. Other options are only bodywise

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
10-02-2014 06:27pm
scalle

thats not the home link, i have it and these are three buttons mounted nicely in the mirror,
by the way: great feature

RRE TD4 Prestige 4WD AUT, santorini black, element interior, tech pack, cold climate pack, pano roof, privacy glass, brushed alu, auto high beam assist, airco vents rear, auto dim mirror, camera, home link, 20" style 7, 18" spare, debugged, roof rails,replaced side vents, grille in glossy black and center cap wheels with RR, black lettering
Also stunning Fiat 500 Cabrio GUCCI edition, black/gold metallic, and red Fiat Panda 1992 selecta (var. transmission).
10-02-2014 08:29pm
cjfp

Phone mic ?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
10-02-2014 08:29pm
MarkA_

Black Box in your Evoque

They are watching you.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
10-02-2014 09:49pm
Jeroma

(10-02-2014 09:49pm)MarkA_ Wrote:  They are watching you.
Yes Mark, an " NAS box " tracking an old man ....!! I was first thinking about a GPS antenna, for a car with heat reflecting windsceen, but as far as I know my car does not have one. Strange enough my Garmin has no reception on the dash while the TomTom works fine.

Onother thing that puzzels me is that the manual states that the AUX socket in the box between the seats can be used to plug in a GPS ..?? I understood, up to now, that AUX sockets are only input devises and not output, but here I might be wrong.

With regard to a microphone The location is not ideal as it's covered by the sun visor and the box is quite large for a microphone.

Anyhow as far as I could notice my car is a kind of mix between an My13 order and an MY14 built, probably different from U.K. specifications.
It was ordered sept 2013 with a Pure Tech Pack, which is not anymore available on My14 in Belgium.

Strange that JLR is deciding what they give you without properly following an order, or at least informing their clients about specific changes.

Although the car is not fully in accordance with the order I prefer the wheels fitted to the ones specified in the order, so still a happy owner.
OK back to the Black Box.....!!

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
12-02-2014 10:36am
Kojak

(12-02-2014 10:36am)Jeroma Wrote:  OK back to the Black Box.....!!

I have it too.....
Don't think I'd have noticed it had it not been for seeing this thread, is it more common than we think?
Mine is a Pure with auto lights, wipers and xenons. I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

OUT - Pure SD4, Orkney Grey, 5 dr, Manual, Fogs, Xenons, Auto dim mirror, Auto lights / wipers, Power fold mirrors, spare wheel.
IN - Dynamic SD4, Indus Silver, 5 dr, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Auto Dim mirror, Spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 14-02-2014 07:59pm by Kojak.)
14-02-2014 07:57pm
Jeroma

(14-02-2014 07:57pm)Kojak Wrote:  I have it too.....
Don't think I'd have noticed it had it not been for seeing this thread, is it more common than we think?
Mine is a Pure with auto lights, wipers and xenons. I don't know if that has anything to do with it?
Probably not, and that's the problem. For the features you indicate optical sensors would probably required, but this box is a kind of antenna only able to receive or transmit electro magnetic waves.

I would like to see an answer from a JLR pro from U.K. as even the chief mechanic at my dealer could not give me an answer, and they sell RRs and Jags like bread

15-02-2014 12:33pm
PhilSkill

(10-02-2014 08:29pm)cjfp Wrote:  Phone mic ?

+1

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
15-02-2014 12:59pm