Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Bill - important - Evoque fuel shield rust problem!
billtus

Bill - important - Evoque fuel shield rust problem!

Hi Everyone,

I have an Evoque Prestige 2012. On the last mot the mechanic showed me photos of the fuel shield cradle which was rusty in holes and dropping off (see attached photo).The general underside of the car was also in a poor state. The car was still under its corrosion warranty and had only been used on the road under normal conditions so I contacted a dealer who confirmed it needed replacement and referred me to Land Rover customer service (nightmare). They said it wasn't covered under warranty and even after I pursued it at a higher level stating it wasn't acceptable for a car of this supposed quality to be rusting away like this under 5 years normal use (not extreme offroad) they stubbornly resisted the case or even considering a goodwill gesture to keep a customer happy (the part is about £80 but the fitting bill was quoted as £550) and even said if I was dissatisfied with the Evoque it was my choice to go elsewhere and buy another make of car next time! Unbelievably rude JLR PR dept!. I noticed on the forums that others have had the same problem and in some cases JLR have put the issue right for some customers & not others. The fuel cradle is not galvanised so is prone to rust from day one and is a design fault!

I would recommend all Evoque owners of cars up to 5 years old to check out their fuel tank shields immediately and bombard JLR with complaints if they are in the same condition as mine. Let me know of any problems you have also.

Thanks for reading, Best regards, Bill

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-10-2018 06:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wungun

RE: Bill - important - Evoque fuel shield rust problem!

I have an Ontario Canada 2013 Evoque (we use SALT on the roads in winter!) and mine isn't anywhere near as bad as that!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
06-10-2018 06:20pm
tripletreiber

My 2012 has the same Problem.

[Image: 536437_41.png] Shocked
13-10-2018 05:48am
Bazz

(13-10-2018 05:48am)tripletreiber Wrote:  My 2012 has the same Problem.

I have looked & found that mine is rusty as well, obviously a "Design Feature"/ Major Fault.Confused I will point this out when it goes in on Tues for a second battery test. The S/S was nor working so they tested 1 battery & replaced but did not test second battery -not to much forward thinking hereRolling Eyes

JLR Should be ASHAMEDEmbarrassed turning out this sort of rubbish on what is advertised as a QUALITY motor.

Bazz
29-06-2019 11:16am
Bazz

(29-06-2019 11:16am)Bazz Wrote:  I have looked & found that mine is rusty as well, obviously a "Design Feature"/ Major Fault.Confused I will point this out when it goes in on Tues for a second battery test. The S/S was not working so they tested 1 battery & replaced but did not test second battery -not to much forward thinking hereRolling Eyes

JLR Should be ASHAMEDEmbarrassed turning out this sort of rubbish on what is advertised as a QUALITY motor.

Bazz

Just had call from main dealer--- guess what?? Fuel tank shield not covered by warranty. JLR Should be ASHAMED turning out this sort of rubbish on what is advertised as a QUALITY motor.

JLR Should be ASHAMED turning out this sort of rubbish on what is advertised as a QUALITY motor & leaving the backlash of sub-standard quality parts or build to be absorbed by Car Care Warranty who just worm their way out of any repairs possible in the small print.

But Diff is borked (@45k) looks like it will be rebuilt under warranty.

Bazz
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2019 12:22pm by Bazz.)
02-07-2019 07:07pm
bee

having my fuel tank cradle and brackets replaced today due to severe rust/rot.

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
18-12-2019 02:12pm
Bazz

(18-12-2019 02:12pm)bee Wrote:  having my fuel tank cradle and brackets replaced today due to severe rust/rot.

I hope this was done under warranty.
18-12-2019 05:52pm
bee

No. It’s a 2013 reg car so warranty expired.

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
18-12-2019 06:10pm
IvorRedOne

Sorry guys. Just seen this post after posting my own.

When you do eventually buy your replacement Fuel Tank Shield, drill additional holes into it for water escape. Once you have done this then give it several coats of wax oil inside and out. Hopefully once fitted you wont need to change it again in your ownership.
17-02-2020 11:56pm