Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Being locked out
FujiSan

Being locked out

A young lady found herself locked out of her Disco today. Another keyless start spec like the LRE. As far as I can make out, the Disco was locked and she opened the tailgate with the key fob button, left her handbag (with the keys) in the boot and then closed the door.

It locked.

Despite her thinking it could (should) not do that.

Anyway... Sometime later when the LR assist guy turned up, we asked him how. His response was he did not know either, but, he has done loads of these calls as the system does not work nearly as well as advertised. He told me of times he had actually turned up at cars and could see the keys sitting on the drivers seat, so it does not appear to be a problem related to particular detectors either.

I did stay to watch for a while how he was going to resolve the issue but did not have too long to hang about, but it seems his initial strategy was to attempt to pry open a small gap at the top of the drivers door, essentially to stick a long stick in to poke the start button on the dash. This to see if this was enough to see if the car would recognise the presence of the key. Seems a bit basic, but may be of some assistance to a hapless LRE driver finding themselves locked out at some unsociable location or time.

I have no idea if this worked or not as I had to leave at that point. But I did ask what he would if that did not work. At this point he was a bit cagey, but indicated he would be having a look at the rear tailgate electrics near the rear screen wiper motor. This struck me as a bit odd, but then it was on a Disco and I don't know what electronics may be near that point. Maybe something to do with the central locking?

Anyway, a heads up on the central locking system logic not doing its job properly.
On LR models.

Has anyone heard of this or worse experienced this before on the LRE?

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
(This post was last modified: 17-10-2012 07:39pm by FujiSan.)
17-10-2012 07:37pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tony

RE: Being locked out

If you open the tailgate ONLY with the remote and leave the key in the car then shut the tailgate it will lock and your in the 5xxt unless you have the other key on your person.
The salesman warned me of this on my handover back in January, I was also told the same on collection of my FL2 four years ago.

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
17-10-2012 08:02pm
RacingSnake

when I collected our evoque, at the hand-over I put a key in my pocket and slung the spare in my bag.
when looking round the outside of the car, I put the bag in the boot. We went to close it, and when it hit the bottom it beeped and went back up again... took us about 5 minutes to figure out if the tailgate was faulty before we realised about the spare!

So, in my experience, it works!

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
17-10-2012 08:03pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ojonesyo

(17-10-2012 08:03pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  when I collected our evoque, at the hand-over I put a key in my pocket and slung the spare in my bag.
when looking round the outside of the car, I put the bag in the boot. We went to close it, and when it hit the bottom it beeped and went back up again... took us about 5 minutes to figure out if the tailgate was faulty before we realised about the spare!

So, in my experience, it works!

You have just explained what happened to me recently. On a weekend break, I took my spare keys with me in my rucksack. When I took my other bag out of the car, the rear tailgate closed, beeped and opened immediately. Assuming a fault with the car, I eventually managed to get it to lock. I now realise these spare keys in my rucksack were causing this response......and I had inadvertently resolved the problem by taking the rucksack out of the car. Thanks for resolving this mystery.

SD4 Prestige Lux 5 door auto, Havana/Tan, Style 7 alloys, tow kit, spare wheel, high-beam assist, etc ..Arrived June 2012
17-10-2012 09:14pm
THEMACS

But what happens if you don't have keyless? What if you just open the boot and shut with your key in?

Tell you what I will have a go right now then report backVery Happy

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
17-10-2012 09:28pm
MrNoo

This is exactly what happened with me on a recent weekend break. Decided to take the spare keys in case I lost a set or the wife needed a set so packed them in the luggage. Opened the tailgate only (leaving the doors locked) and loaded the luggage into the car. Then tried to close the tailgate and it wouldn't close. After a couple of failed attempts at closing the tailgate I figured out it must be the spare keys so removed them from the luggage and the tailgate closed without a problem.

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
17-10-2012 09:32pm
THEMACS

Yep, it works!

Just put the keys in the boot after just opening the boot and then closed the boot, the boot closed and then made a strange beep and then unlocked itself, tried burying the keys under coats at the back of the boot and it worked fineVery Happy

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
(This post was last modified: 17-10-2012 09:42pm by THEMACS.)
17-10-2012 09:41pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

One question - do those who have had the tailgate re-open after trying to shut the keys inside have the powered tailgate?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
17-10-2012 10:11pm
THEMACS

(17-10-2012 10:11pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  One question - do those who have had the tailgate re-open after trying to shut the keys inside have the powered tailgate?

No, I don't and it just unlocked itself and pushed itself open ever so slightly

17-10-2012 10:17pm
cjfp

(17-10-2012 10:17pm)THEMACS Wrote:  No, I don't and it just unlocked itself and pushed itself open ever so slightly

Do you have keyless entry ?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
17-10-2012 10:18pm