Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Not much room for a rear facing isofix car seat
Urban Splash

Just to pass on my experience of looking at rear facing car seats......

As the lad is getting older, I'm looking for his next car seat. It seems by far the safest option is for him to be rear facing until the age of 4. It appears that the UK is way behind other countries regarding car seats up to age of 4. For example:

"In Sweden between July 2006 and November 2007 not one child under the age of six was killed in a car crash. Children in Sweden sit rear facing until the age of four"

It appears that in the UK, a child's safety comes after what is marketable for companies. For example, Britax (UK based) mainly exports its rear facing car seats....

Anyway, to my point....Sitting in the back of the Evoque, there seems to be loads of room. There is loads of legroom and it feels pretty spacious. However, I have tried the following rear facing (isofix) car seats in the back:

Axkid Kidzofix (£365): Massive car seat. Takes up loads of room. Wont fit in the back of the Evoque leaving the front seat usable.

BeSafe iZi Combi X3 ISOFIX (£349): Again, this is a pretty big car seat. Its very well made and reclines in loads of positions. Interestingly, the back of the front seat should be touching the car seat. W:(ith this one fitted there is limited space in the front passenger seat. Not sure I could live with it.....

So the only one I think will fit properly is the Klippan Triofix (£399) This seems a bit smaller. When I get the chance to try it I will report back....

In summary, it's tricky to fit an isofix rear facing car seat into the Evoque! Not as much room as you think leaving the front passenger seat usable....

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
09-02-2013 09:37am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MarkA_

RE: Not much room for a rear facing isofix car seat

(09-02-2013 09:37am)Urban Splash Wrote:  Just to pass on my experience of looking at rear facing car seats......

As the lad is getting older, I'm looking for his next car seat. It seems by far the safest option is for him to be rear facing until the age of 4. It appears that the UK is way behind other countries regarding car seats up to age of 4. For example:

"In Sweden between July 2006 and November 2007 not one child under the age of six was killed in a car crash. Children in Sweden sit rear facing until the age of four"

It appears that in the UK, a child's safety comes after what is marketable for companies. For example, Britax (UK based) mainly exports its rear facing car seats....

Anyway, to my point....Sitting in the back of the Evoque, there seems to be loads of room. There is loads of legroom and it feels pretty spacious. However, I have tried the following rear facing (isofix) car seats in the back:

Axkid Kidzofix (£365): Massive car seat. Takes up loads of room. Wont fit in the back of the Evoque leaving the front seat usable.

BeSafe iZi Combi X3 ISOFIX (£349): Again, this is a pretty big car seat. Its very well made and reclines in loads of positions. Interestingly, the back of the front seat should be touching the car seat. W:(ith this one fitted there is limited space in the front passenger seat. Not sure I could live with it.....

So the only one I think will fit properly is the Klippan Triofix (£399) This seems a bit smaller. When I get the chance to try it I will report back....

In summary, it's tricky to fit an isofix rear facing car seat into the Evoque! Not as much room as you think leaving the front passenger seat usable....

How did you find front seat room in a Group 0+ rear facing seat in Isofix base? We brought our newborn home in our BMW 1er on Saturday and after the seat was in the front passenger seat was almost fully forward with a steep recline - definitely not workable for long trips.

Does the front passenger seat have decent room with a group 0+ car seat on isofix base? (we're using maxi-cosi cabriofix)

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 01:11pm by MarkA_.)
04-03-2014 01:10pm
donot521

I am so glad that my son now can use front facing car seat. The space was just terrible when he was on rear facing car seat
04-03-2014 04:17pm
MarkA_

Group 0+? How terrible exactly? How far forward do you need to put the front passenger seat?

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
04-03-2014 04:41pm
donot521

No leg room at all for the front passenger.
My buddy is only 170 cm tall and his knees were glued to the glove box when we had the rear facing car seat on.
04-03-2014 04:48pm
buckiebabyrr

My 18 month daughter has a front facing recaro seat and is very roomy for her plus the passenger can go further back in there seat before touching her feet which is much better than my old ST

Car history so far......
2005 Vauxhall corsa sxi
2007 Vauxhall corsa vxr
2008 Vauxhall astra nurbergring vxr
2013 Ford focus st3
2014 Cool - MY2014 9 speed auto,Si4 engine,Dynamic,Fuji white,Santorini roof,Black design pack,Heated steering wheel,Lunar/ivory interior,Privacy glass
04-03-2014 09:18pm