Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Barolo Black or Havana? Help! Can't decide
purestarr

Barolo Black or Havana? Help! Can't decide

Hey guys

I have a dilemma.
I really like the look of both colours havana and barolo. My only concern about barolo is that it would be more prone to showing swirls and scratches. Will barolo require more maintenance?

Should I be worrying about these things?

I found some very good example photos of barolo here https://picasaweb.google.com/10840339554...ndExpresso

And Havana here
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Havana-Co...mic?page=2
07-10-2012 09:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

RE: Barolo Black or Havana? Help! Can't decide

They're both great colours and if you're worried about swirling then get it protected by a proper detailer using a nano product and that should help a lot AND ensure you use the right 2 bucket method of washing so you don't introduce scratches/swirls when you clean the car. Personally I like Gtechniq but there are other very good products like Carpro
07-10-2012 10:50pm
Daigriff

I have Barolo and like WB says provided you look after the paintwork it will remain blemish free. Havana wasn't available when I ordered but may well have chosen it. It's a great colour.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
07-10-2012 11:12pm
ojonesyo

Colour choices are such a personal issue. All I can add here is to record my delight with my Havana/tan/ivory/expresso combo. I also like Barolo Black but when my brother's Sumatra Black Disco 4 is parked next to a neighbours Barolo Disco 4, the difference is very subtle. I guess that we here would notice the difference but many casual observers would class both Disco's as 'nice black cars' but the Havana paint on the evoque never fails to raise a comment or further discussion. With regard to your other question, I do recommend Lifeshine or similar to protect from swirlmarks or scratches. On my third journey, I went round a corner and some **** had bent a tree branch into the road. With oncoming traffic, I could do nothing other than listed to the screech of the branch marking the entire length of my car. With some effort I managed to buff out the whole scratch except for a 50mm mark on the rear wheel arch where a small scratch is just about visible. I am well aware of cynicism about these expensive and questionable dealer applied treatments, but I am convinced the treatment save me from a repaint.

SD4 Prestige Lux 5 door auto, Havana/Tan, Style 7 alloys, tow kit, spare wheel, high-beam assist, etc ..Arrived June 2012
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 12:37am by ojonesyo.)
08-10-2012 12:25am
WB
WB

(08-10-2012 12:25am)ojonesyo Wrote:  Colour choices are such a personal issue. All I can add here is to record my delight with my Havana/tan/ivory/expresso combo. I also like Barolo Black but when my brother's Sumatra Black Disco 4 is parked next to a neighbours Barolo Disco 4, the difference is very subtle. I guess that we here would notice the difference but many casual observers would class both Disco's as 'nice black cars' but the Havana paint on the evoque never fails to raise a comment or further discussion. With regard to your other question, I do recommend Lifeshine or similar to protect from swirlmarks or scratches. On my third journey, I went round a corner and some **** had bent a tree branch into the road. With oncoming traffic, I could do nothing other than listed to the screech of the branch marking the entire length of my car. With some effort I managed to buff out the whole scratch except for a 50mm mark on the rear wheel arch where a small scratch is just about visible. I am well aware of cynicism about these expensive and questionable dealer applied treatments, but I am convinced the treatment save me from a repaint.

Nooooooo - please please please people don't waste your money on the dealer applied products which are nothing more than a basic (cheap) product with massive profit margins to the dealers.

You can buy the same products yourself (Lifeshine kits are about £30!) OR you can go to a proper detailer who will charge usually less than a dealer and apply a proper product. The detailer will have the experience to apply it properly! Alternatively if you're up for it you can do it yourself - it's really not that difficult.

Head over to detailingworld.co.uk where there's a wealth of knowledge and product reviews and a thoroughly helpful bunch of people who can answer any questions you may have about products, how to apply them or where to find a good detailer.
08-10-2012 10:49am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Or you could do what my supplying dealer did and take the car to the Gardex suppliers to have it applied. It was the thing that delayed the hand over of my car, waiting for the trailer with my car on it to re-appear from the London traffic! I'm really pleased with the system, the car only requires hosing off and wipe down to look like it just left the factory, 13 months after delivery. It gets snow foamed, hot pressure washed then cold rinsed once a month, in between I do the hose off. Apart from the paint I also had the glass treated and whatever Gardex used on the side glasses is better than the old Clearex that you can put on front screens, after 13 months the water just beads and runs off them

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 10:59am by XFullFatTim.)
08-10-2012 10:54am
purestarr

Stratstone Cardiff are going to get me the details of the external valeting company they use to Prep the car and apply Pureguard before the handover. Should I let them prep the car?
08-10-2012 11:05am
WB
WB

(08-10-2012 11:05am)purestarr Wrote:  Stratstone Cardiff are going to get me the details of the external valeting company they use to Prep the car and apply Pureguard before the handover. Should I let them prep the car?

just do a google on Pureguard, guardex, gardex, superguard, supaguard and all the other ways they can think of to spell the same few words before you spend your money.

Ask yourself why car dealers try to do the hard sell on tyre insurance, gap insurance, paint protection etc and the simple answer is huge margins and they have a captive audience making a huge "emotional" purchase. All these products are available outside the dealership at much lower cost and in the case of paint protection much better products.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 12:12pm by WB.)
08-10-2012 11:56am
Big G

(08-10-2012 11:56am)WB Wrote:  just do a google on Pureguard, guardex, gardex, superguard, supaguard and all the other ways they can think of to spell the same few words before you spend your money.

Ask yourself why car dealers try to do the hard sell on tyre insurance, gap insurance, paint protection etc and the simple answer is huge margins and they have a captive audience making a huge "emotional" purchase. All these products are available outside the dealership at much lower cost and in the case of paint protection much better products.

I used this - very happy - had it keyed a month ago and had it buffed out. Detailer said the treatment had protected it well. Well worth it just for that, but also easy to clean and water beads very well.
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Detailing...-More-pics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
08-10-2012 02:47pm
ojonesyo

(08-10-2012 02:47pm)Big G Wrote:  I used this - very happy - had it keyed a month ago and had it buffed out. Detailer said the treatment had protected it well. Well worth it just for that, but also easy to clean and water beads very well.
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Detailing...-More-pics

I knew that mentioning paint protection offers would open up a huge debate. I am delighted with the way Life Shine [from AutoGlym?] has protected my paint and leather so far, .....it might even have saved me a paint respray, ......plus I have around 20 AutoGlym products, bottles, sponges, wipes, etc. enclosed in a super red case [handy for holidays....lol!] .......and it all cost a 'tiny' proportion of my £47K outlay for the vehicle. I agree, the dealers want to sell all sorts of products and warranties....and yes they make money from it.....they probably made around £6K in selling me the vehicle?..... but I am happy that someone prepared and protected my car so thoroughly before I collected it. Some members here are discussing retrofitting fog lamps here...at £700?.....and that is entirely their choice to make. I chose a protection package. .....simples!

SD4 Prestige Lux 5 door auto, Havana/Tan, Style 7 alloys, tow kit, spare wheel, high-beam assist, etc ..Arrived June 2012
08-10-2012 03:03pm