Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bad scratch - very sad - hard to fix?
kiddstu

Well I'm calling it a scratch but they're probably more than scratches. I was reversing into a parking spot late at night to put it into a better position to lessen the risk of other cars in the car park hitting it with doors etc. Anyhow, it was dark and everything seemed okay but then i heard a scratching noise, not exactly sure what it was behind me but it was part of an overhanging concrete structure that maybe the parking sensors didn't pick up on because of the height.

I'm attaching some photographs that I've taken, does anyone have any advice on fixing this? And roughly what the price would be.

Now back to my sadness...
03-02-2013 10:59am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
muff

I would think it needs the panel repaired and repainted. A trip to a decent body shop should see this fixed £300. Not worth bothering your insurers.
(03-02-2013 11:17am)muff Wrote:  I would think it needs the panel repaired and repainted. A trip to a decent body shop should see this fixed £300. Not worth bothering your insurers.

Oops I assumed u were in the UK. Same advice but not sure of body shop rates in Oz.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 11:19am by muff.)
03-02-2013 11:17am
Tulabb

RE: Bad scratch - very sad - hard to fix?

Noooo...hopefully u can get it fixed quickly..

We noticed a dent on the side back door the other day and took it to the local contact recommended by the local dealer.luckily he was able to push it back out and it was a quick 30 min job.
03-02-2013 12:14pm
Donny Dog

(03-02-2013 10:59am)kiddstu Wrote:  Well I'm calling it a scratch but they're probably more than scratches. I was reversing into a parking spot late at night to put it into a better position to lessen the risk of other cars in the car park hitting it with doors etc. Anyhow, it was dark and everything seemed okay but then i heard a scratching noise, not exactly sure what it was behind me but it was part of an overhanging concrete structure that maybe the parking sensors didn't pick up on because of the height.

I'm attaching some photographs that I've taken, does anyone have any advice on fixing this? And roughly what the price would be.

Some of that looks as if the material you hit was softer than the car, and what you are seeing is part of the foreign material. Have you tried polishing that off to see how bad it is underneath?
03-02-2013 12:31pm
Evo-king

I read recently of someones Evoque that had been keyed in a Supermarket car park.

The owner was clearly annoyed about this, anyhow he got Chips Away out to have a look, fortunately for him it was polished out.

I know they can't do that with your car but they might be worth a call or some other similar company, it's possible it might not cost as much for a smart repair.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 12:32pm by Evo-king.)
03-02-2013 12:32pm
J77

By the looks of it, that needs a professional job.

It looks painful.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
03-02-2013 01:41pm
Inges

Hi,

Ouch that was a bad scratch, you gotta check out a professional shop to fix that.

I got a small dent/scratch on my car and I sent it too a smart repair shop here in Norway and for this scratch I recommended using a smart repair company to fix it. a lot cheaper than ordinary bodywork shops.

Check out: http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/ for example, there are probably several other smart repair companies as well.

/Inge

Collected: 15.06.2012
Prestige TD4 Santorini Black, Manual, Dyn & Prestige Tech Pack, 825W Sound System, Surround Camera System, Privacy Glass, Adp. Bi-Xenon, Panoramic Roof, Cherry/Ivory

[Image: 166903.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 02:59pm by Inges.)
03-02-2013 02:48pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I had a very large shallow dent in the tailgate of my first RRS fixed by Chipsaway local franchise, his repair was so good that eagle eyed James, then of LPR, had to ask me were the repair was when I took the car in to him to part exchange it!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 04:11pm by XFullFatTim.)
03-02-2013 04:10pm
Biker

Bumper sticker?

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
03-02-2013 09:46pm
doug

A smart repair is the way to go. But please only go with a firm that has been recommend to you. I say this as most of there work is for local dealerships where I repair is needed before the car goes on sale & the finish isn't always great (a small repair is most likely overlooked by a potential buyer).
Once you have the price, make it very clear that nothing but perfect will do.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
04-02-2013 12:04am