Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Avoiding the LRA call out to the long term car park after your holidays
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Rapidly flattening batteries on cars left in the long term car park at the airport or airport hotel have been a built in feature of modern Land and Range Rovers for the last 2-3 years........ especially after your winter holiday in the sun when you get back at 3am to a car covered in rime or snow. As I have to leave my cars for up to 3 months without them getting a run I now have a Maplin £20 solar panel powered trickle charger that solves the problem, plugs into the rear socket in the boot

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-11-2011 10:07am by XFullFatTim.)
30-11-2011 09:36am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fam1x

RE: Avoiding the LRA call out to the long term car park after your holidays

So you have to leave that on beofre you go on holiday? do you get sun un the boot of the car or you leave then solar panel on the roof ?

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
30-11-2011 09:49am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Sorry I was interupted during posting...............

I put the solar panel on the centre consol or the top of the dash with the cable threaded between the rear seat split to the rear socket that stays live when the ignition is off, and it only needs daylight rather than sunlight to work - I found that out last winter when you lot had 4 feet of snow and I was 15 weeks in Singapore! My FFRR was completely buried under snow for weeks and my father cleared a small hole in the snow to see if the panel was still charging the battery and it's little LED was still winking away indicating that it was and the car started first press of the start button when I got home.
This is the one I have http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-powered-12...rger-98358 you have to make sure that whatever version you buy that it has a blocking diode otherwise at night the solar panel will draw power out of the battery................ it is also essential that you unplug it before driving the car away or starting the engine other wise it can damage the car's electronics. For £20 it's a great way not to end up with an emergency call out for a jump start though

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-11-2011 10:01am by XFullFatTim.)
30-11-2011 09:55am
DDX

Thats great. Thanks for that Tim, very useful.

Evoque 5dr Dynamic SD4 Auto, Fuji/Vortex, 20" Style 7's, Panoramic Roof, Ebony Headlining, Keyless Entry, Premium Mats, Heated S/W, Park Assist, Power Tailgate, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel

Very Happy ARRIVED Very Happy
01-12-2011 08:23am
cjfp

(30-11-2011 09:55am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Sorry I was interupted during posting...............

Yeah, those damn ports sure creep up on you like that ! Laughing

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
01-12-2011 08:35am
leveller

It's about time manufacturers included battery level indicators in the dash info systems.

Thans for the tips Tim!

5dr Evoque Dynamic Si4, OG. I love her, mostly.
04-12-2011 12:22pm
Evo-king

Even better than that, the Prius has a solar panel in the roof, why can't other manufacturers do something similar especially as it is their design and OE items which cause this.

A letter to JLR me thinks.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
04-12-2011 06:34pm
PhilSkill

Maplin are doing an xmas deal of a 2.4W solar trickle charger with reverse diode on special offer for 1/2 price £12.99 (was £25.99), although it's quite a large panel compare with the 1.4W version.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
06-12-2011 11:18pm
cjfp

Smaller and cheaper than the 2.4w is 2w for £9.99 [but still slightly larger than the 1.5w]

http://www.maplin.co.uk/12v-2w-solar-briefcase-348075

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 08:09am by cjfp.)
07-12-2011 08:09am
Evo-king

I'm pleading complete ignorance here, I know what the solar panel is capable of, but I have heard that in some modern cars the way the electrical systems are configured a solar charger cannot have any input power wise.

Does the Evoque have similar issues or as has been mentioned earlier you connect it to an alternative point in the car?

Sorry if this seems a daft question.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
07-12-2011 10:21am