Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto box and neutral
WavyDavy

Auto box and neutral

Only had the car for a month and still getting used to it, especially an auto, which I haven't had before.

Two dumb questions:

1. When I'm travelling along (forwards), would the car allow me to put it into reverse? I don't want to try but can't help wondering if there's a safety mechanism or what would happen. I dread to thinkShocked

2. I've started to put the auto into neutral when I'm going down hill where I don't need power or when I'm at a red light or in a queue etc. I presume this is ok?

Sorry for the dumb questionsConfused
16-02-2013 07:43pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Auto box and neutral

(16-02-2013 07:43pm)WavyDavy Wrote:  Only had the car for a month and still getting used to it, especially an auto, which I haven't had before.

Two dumb questions:

1. When I'm travelling along (forwards), would the car allow me to put it into reverse? I don't want to try but can't help wondering if there's a safety mechanism or what would happen. I dread to thinkShocked

2. I've started to put the auto into neutral when I'm going down hill where I don't need power or when I'm at a red light or in a queue etc. I presume this is ok?

Sorry for the dumb questionsConfused
I havent tried 1, but I'm sure it wouldnt let you. I cannot see any circumstance whatsoever where this risk is present unless you are doing 2.... Which I'm not being funny, but why?
The car will use next to no fuel if you're going downhill with no power.

My advice, do not do either 1 or 2.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
16-02-2013 08:00pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WavyDavy

Just curious really. What if someone had devil hand syndrome! Or naughty children. Or a partner or friend/relative with alzheimer's. Or a drunk friend. You never know!

As for cruising in nuetral, it takes away the drag of the engine and allows you to go further without pressing the accelerator. So I'm assuming that would save fuel if the straight run was long enough. And I would have thought that the clutch is being saved at junctions, lights, roundabouts etc. ???
16-02-2013 08:18pm
Teetree

Auto box and neutral

(16-02-2013 08:18pm)WavyDavy Wrote:  Just curious really. What if someone had devil hand syndrome! Or naughty children. Or a partner or friend/relative with alzheimer's. Or a drunk friend. You never know!

As for cruising in nuetral, it takes away the drag of the engine and allows you to go further without pressing the accelerator. So I'm assuming that would save fuel if the straight run was long enough. And I would have thought that the clutch is being saved at junctions, lights, roundabouts etc. ???

To change to reverse u would have to have your foot on the break pedal while turning the dial so chances of all those weird combinations of people Smile in your car changing gears is less likely.

When u coast down hill with no engine to slow you down, to control your speed you would need to use the brakes? Surely any savings you mentioned will be cancelled out by the extra brakes wear?

Fuji Pure SD4 Auto 5door, powered tailgate, front sensors, rear camera , pano roof, heated steering wheel, front fogs, xenons, spare wheel, 19" diamond turned alloys
16-02-2013 09:02pm
rchrdleigh

Car will not allow you to select reverse while you are travelling forwards.

You will actually use more fuel by coasting in neutral than you would by leaving it in gear.
Car will not allow you to select reverse while you are travelling forwards.

You will actually use more fuel by coasting in neutral than you would by leaving it in gear. Also when coasting in gear the alternator will recharge the battery.
(This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 09:10pm by rchrdleigh.)
16-02-2013 09:10pm
Biker

coasting downhill in neutral would take you further distance wise, but not fuel wise. When you coast, the engine uses fuel to keep it going in idle. When you go downhill and take your foot off the accelerator, it cuts fuel to engine and the momentum is what keeping it ticking over, hence the engine braking slowing it down.
If you doing long trips, using cruise control is the best way to save fuel if that what you after.
I believe putting an auto in neutral for coasting is not a good idea at all, but that is just me.

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
16-02-2013 10:29pm
Donny Dog

(16-02-2013 10:29pm)Biker Wrote:  If you doing long trips, using cruise control is the best way to save fuel if that what you after.

I've found the opposite. Cruise control tries to keep the same speed regardless of whether the conditions are suitable or whether you are going uphill. If you really want fuel economy, you need to maintain steady revs. and probably ease off uphill. 'Economy driving' (for example, being guided by the economy meter) is better than a fixed speed.

(16-02-2013 08:18pm)WavyDavy Wrote:  And I would have thought that the clutch is being saved at junctions, lights, roundabouts etc. ???

What clutch?
(This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 11:16pm by Donny Dog.)
16-02-2013 11:15pm
Biker

I tried beating the fuel consumption (not in an evoque though) of cruise control. Did not have any luck as yet.
Having said that, mine was a big 3.5l V6 engine and a CVT gearbox.

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
17-02-2013 01:54am
brianthedog

(16-02-2013 11:15pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  I've found the opposite. Cruise control tries to keep the same speed regardless of whether the conditions are suitable or whether you are going uphill. If you really want fuel economy, you need to maintain steady revs. and probably ease off uphill. 'Economy driving' (for example, being guided by the economy meter) is better than a fixed speed.

What clutch?

I agree with cruise not being an economy option but do admit to switching to neutral and park brake at the lights - I don't like the drive straining against the parking brake / brakes. Incidentally, a friend of my wife has a pet hate of being dazzled at traffic lights by the brake lights of the driver in front - I had to explain to him about how most autos were driven.

What I do miss is being able to easily turn off the motor when I know I have a lengthy wait, my BMW 630 did not turn off the radio when I hit start/stop and I obviously did not have to wait for the gear shifter to appear either.

However I draw the line at coasting an auto, but there is much worse if you really want to get into the hypermiling. Confused

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-effi...in_Neutral

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr in Orkney with Ebony, Black Contrast roof
Pan Roof, Premium interior pack, Park Assist, Shadow Chrome Wheels, Roof Rails
17-02-2013 02:03am
Bowl

(16-02-2013 07:43pm)WavyDavy Wrote:  Only had the car for a month and still getting used to it, especially an auto, which I haven't had before.

Two dumb questions:

If the rotary gear selector is put to R when the car is traveling forward at 5 km/h (3 mph) or more, it will not engage and the clutch is released. This is called the "Reverse Lock-out" function of the transmission. The same is true if the car is traveling backwards at 5 km/h or more and D or S is selected.

(16-02-2013 07:43pm)WavyDavy Wrote:  2. I've started to put the auto into neutral when I'm going down hill where I don't need power or when I'm at a red light or in a queue etc. I presume this is ok?

I wouldn't recommend you put it to neutral when going down hill, there is no benefit at all from doing so.

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
17-02-2013 02:51am